Thought I might steal some breds

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Thought I might steal some breds

Postby gcreekrch » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:39 am

Sale in Williams Lake this week had a dispersal of 200 cows and another guy had 50 heifers there. Roads and weather were both crappy, thought I might get a load for less than market.

Turns out I was a bit mistaken and good for the sellers. Dispersal cows would have averaged very near $2400 and the heifers went to $2375.

There will be others priced more in line with my thoughts....
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Thought I might steal some breds

Postby Aaron » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:54 am

Uff Da! At least someone thinks that have value still. A good $400 over what I would even consider.

Oh well, you saved yourself a pile of money in extra cow fart taxes.
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Aaron wrote:Uff Da! At least someone thinks that have value still. A good $400 over what I would even consider.

Is that a thing?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Can't remember if you ever posted your general location, can you put it in your description? Those prices are $5-750 more than anything decent is bringing around here. We are seeing $1200 to $1600 for average decent bred cows. The lower end or older ones with short mouths are in the $850 to $1100 range. Heifers not much different.
2 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:52 pm

HDRider wrote:
Aaron wrote:Uff Da! At least someone thinks that have value still. A good $400 over what I would even consider.

Is that a thing?

Not yet. But there has been a lot of whispering in this country among governments the last 2 years. Also talk of a sin tax against meat.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:12 am

farmerjan wrote:Can't remember if you ever posted your general location, can you put it in your description? Those prices are $5-750 more than anything decent is bringing around here. We are seeing $1200 to $1600 for average decent bred cows. The lower end or older ones with short mouths are in the $850 to $1100 range. Heifers not much different.

Sorry, I am in central British Columbia, Canada.

Our dollar is at .79 US today. The prices were very high. Happens when a few farmers think they have money or a tax problem.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:48 am

Were these commercial cattle or purebreds?
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:46 am

Just ranch cows. Blacks and baldies bred Hereford or Angus.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:50 pm

We had a dispersal of a herd from up in the Okanogan here about a month ago. With the exchange figured in your average price was just a hair higher. If you toss in that extra month of feed the price is pretty similar.
1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Seriously, what hurts us here is the shipping costs. Too much land being gobbled up for houses and such, too many older farmers retiring or dying and the kids sure don't want to work that hard.... land is worth so much more for development so it gets sold and split up. So anything that gets sold has to be trucked and that is not cheap. I read where so many will buy some thin cull cows or short breds or such and can feed 'em and make a bit on them. Here, if it is in the cull pen, 99% will be in the kill plant within 2 days.
As for the difference in the US to Canadian dollar; am I figuring it right that $2400 Canadian is about $1900 US? Maybe I am doing the math backwards, but I think that is right. So it is still $3-400 more per animal than what we are seeing here on an average.
2 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”