semen interest in every bull sold

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2727
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Contact:

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby gizmom » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:32 pm

When We retain a semen interest it is stated up front. Basically it is an insurance policy in case a bull we sell gets picked up by an AI stud. Being a little fish in a big pond it isn’t likely to happen but if it does as the breeder I don’t think it’s unfair to retain a semen interest. Someone commented that with AI they can just go out and make a bull with the same genetics and that is a fair statement.

We currently have 7 bull calves out of Charlo and our donor SAV Blackcap May 0524 we plan to keep one to use but when keeping that yearling it is impossible to know if he is the best calf. After we invest in the donor and the flush how is it wrong of us as a breeder to retain 1/3 semen interest. We took the risk in investing in the donor and her genetics, we made the breeding decision to provide some excellent bull calves for our customers if the bull turns out to be good enough to be picked up by an AI stud the customer can still retain 1/3 interest and have possession of the bull and salvage value if the bull quits producing. I just don’t see it being all that big an issue, face it if an AI stud rep came up your drive and wanted to put your bull in their line up you would be tickled with 1/3 of the semen and AI certificate sales. I admit I would be tickled to death!

Gizmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6808
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:58 pm

gizmom wrote:When We retain a semen interest it is stated up front. Basically it is an insurance policy in case a bull we sell gets picked up by an AI stud. Being a little fish in a big pond it isn’t likely to happen but if it does as the breeder I don’t think it’s unfair to retain a semen interest. Someone commented that with AI they can just go out and make a bull with the same genetics and that is a fair statement.

We currently have 7 bull calves out of Charlo and our donor SAV Blackcap May 0524 we plan to keep one to use but when keeping that yearling it is impossible to know if he is the best calf. After we invest in the donor and the flush how is it wrong of us as a breeder to retain 1/3 semen interest. We took the risk in investing in the donor and her genetics, we made the breeding decision to provide some excellent bull calves for our customers if the bull turns out to be good enough to be picked up by an AI stud the customer can still retain 1/3 interest and have possession of the bull and salvage value if the bull quits producing. I just don’t see it being all that big an issue, face it if an AI stud rep came up your drive and wanted to put your bull in their line up you would be tickled with 1/3 of the semen and AI certificate sales. I admit I would be tickled to death!

Gizmom


I agree completely if you can find a buyer that's willing to accept your conditions. Your shared bull that went bad isn't something that would work for me, I know it's something that happens, but I want to look after my own money. Your animal husbandry is second to none, but stuff happens all the time.
But then again I don't let anyone borrow my equipment anymore either. If someone needs a hole dug I do it for them, seems like my stuff doesn't break nearly as much anymore.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3807
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:37 pm

I have seen this over here however I do know that some of the noted big buyers will see the vendor before the sale and say they want 100% of semen rights if they buy a particular bull so the vendor has to decide whether they want that noted big buyer bidding at the sale. More often than not they will accept the 100% terms of the buyer to get the competition. If you have a special one to sell, it pays to have had him already collected.

Ken
0 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4898
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:35 pm

On the real special ones owner retains 1/3 ownership and buyer only pays 2/3 of bid price.
0 x

User avatar
Black and Good
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1535
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby Black and Good » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:20 am

I owe them a third of the proceeds after all expenses. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4898
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:52 am

Black and Good wrote:I owe them a third of the proceeds after all expenses. B&G

I'd pay your sales rep/distributor top commission.... assuming it's you.
0 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16451
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby greybeard » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:47 am

True Grit Farms wrote:But then again I don't let anyone borrow my equipment anymore either. If someone needs a hole dug I do it for them, seems like my stuff doesn't break nearly as much anymore.


Since you brought it up...by the same token, it's why I just won't borrow anything any more. If it breaks, I have to replace it or fix it, or pay to fix it, usually pretty expensive, and when all is said and done, and I still won't have that piece of equipment. My neighbor is wanting to drop his Kubota mini excavator off here so I can use it to put in a 24" pipe drain, ( a new drain on my property will help keep normal localized rain water off his property) and I won't accept that...for my part, it's better for me to just pay him to do it.
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1865
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby ddd75 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:25 pm

greybeard wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:But then again I don't let anyone borrow my equipment anymore either. If someone needs a hole dug I do it for them, seems like my stuff doesn't break nearly as much anymore.


Since you brought it up...by the same token, it's why I just won't borrow anything any more. If it breaks, I have to replace it or fix it, or pay to fix it, usually pretty expensive, and when all is said and done, and I still won't have that piece of equipment. My neighbor is wanting to drop his Kubota mini excavator off here so I can use it to put in a 24" pipe drain, ( a new drain on my property will help keep normal localized rain water off his property) and I won't accept that...for my part, it's better for me to just pay him to do it.


i've found that people who want you to borrow their equipment know its about to break and know its a easy way to get it fixed for free.
0 x

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2727
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Contact:

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby gizmom » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:36 pm

Ddd

Now that is looking at the glass and calling it half empty. I don’t like to borrow anything either, but when someone makes an offer I don’t think they are wanting me to have to pay for repairs. I appreciate that they are willing to allow me to use something they spent their hard earned dollars on. I may not take them up on it but I still appreciate the offer. I refuse to go through life thinking everyone is out to take advantage of me.

I still believe in do unto others as you would have them do unto you, that has served me well over the years.

Gizmom
4 x
Respect give it to get it!

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6808
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:46 pm

gizmom wrote:Ddd

Now that is looking at the glass and calling it half empty. I don’t like to borrow anything either, but when someone makes an offer I don’t think they are wanting me to have to pay for repairs. I appreciate that they are willing to allow me to use something they spent their hard earned dollars on. I may not take them up on it but I still appreciate the offer. I refuse to go through life thinking everyone is out to take advantage of me.

I still believe in do unto others as you would have them do unto you, that has served me well over the years.

Gizmom


Amen, if we all lived by that quote we'd be in heaven.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1865
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby ddd75 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:35 am

gizmom wrote:Ddd

Now that is looking at the glass and calling it half empty. I don’t like to borrow anything either, but when someone makes an offer I don’t think they are wanting me to have to pay for repairs. I appreciate that they are willing to allow me to use something they spent their hard earned dollars on. I may not take them up on it but I still appreciate the offer. I refuse to go through life thinking everyone is out to take advantage of me.

I still believe in do unto others as you would have them do unto you, that has served me well over the years.

Gizmom



I believe the dollar drives people more than anything else. I've never seen 'true good' in people, maybe a few.. very few. Most people that have earned my 'trust' have screwed me over one way or the other. everyone can help themselves for all I'm concerned.. no one goes out of there way for me.. they only go out of there way to screw someone over, or to make a quick buck.

btw.. i've never screwed anyone or did wrong to anyone. I do treat people how I want to be treated.. But people do not treat me like that. I just have one of those faces I guess.
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6808
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:45 am

ddd75 wrote:
gizmom wrote:Ddd

Now that is looking at the glass and calling it half empty. I don’t like to borrow anything either, but when someone makes an offer I don’t think they are wanting me to have to pay for repairs. I appreciate that they are willing to allow me to use something they spent their hard earned dollars on. I may not take them up on it but I still appreciate the offer. I refuse to go through life thinking everyone is out to take advantage of me.

I still believe in do unto others as you would have them do unto you, that has served me well over the years.

Gizmom



I believe the dollar drives people more than anything else. I've never seen 'true good' in people, maybe a few.. very few. Most people that have earned my 'trust' have screwed me over one way or the other. everyone can help themselves for all I'm concerned.. no one goes out of there way for me.. they only go out of there way to screw someone over, or to make a quick buck.

btw.. i've never screwed anyone or did wrong to anyone. I do treat people how I want to be treated.. But people do not treat me like that. I just have one of those faces I guess.


It's your attitude, I can relate first hand. As you age you start to see things a little different.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2727
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Contact:

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby gizmom » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:22 am

DD

You need to find new people to hang out with, life is to short to spend it with folks you don’t trust. TG is right about seeing things differently as we age, I think everyone has good in them, some it’s just a little harder to find it in than others. I didn’t always feel that way but as I have aged I have come to the realization that just because I may not agree with them it doesn’t make them wrong. Every issue has two sides I have learned we can agree to disagree and still be friends.

Gizmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1865
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby ddd75 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:15 pm

People have good in them as long as your feeding them something.
0 x

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2727
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Contact:

Re: semen interest in every bull sold

Postby gizmom » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:19 pm

I know I am always happy if somebody else is doing the cooking!

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!


Return to “Cattle Sales”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests