Prices,Prices,Prices

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Prices,Prices,Prices

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Talked to our biggest sales barn auctioneer today. He said a few folks were speculating on #1 calves (which project to lose money at $1.48 for 5.x wts. and 1.43 for 6 wts.) but he did not think it would last unless futures rebounded soon. :(

He said some odd or plain or single calves could be had for about a $1 a pound and asked why I was not buying these turn around opportunities as usual. :?:

You know you are an angel investor when the sales barn manager runs across the parking lot and begs you to come back inside... :cowboy:
0 x
Stocker Steve

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:58 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:[

I planned to sell about 15-20 in November but I don't see me doing it when prices are dancing at 1.00lb basically. I got like you plenty of feed so I can hold off till spring or either build a cooler and get into the meat business like my buddy toad. I am like you I knew there would be a correction of prices but I didn't know there was going to be theft. I will for now drop back and wait and see what happens. I am buying here and there still but definitely not in a rush to sell anything. I got a 600lb bull calf that has a rank attitude I want to get rid of him bad but not bad enough at these prices. I retain all my heifers anyway unless they have some issues. I see no need for me to get rid as I have about 17 4x5 bales of hay per head and I haven't baled any peanut vines yet either and a unlimited supply of grain. I can hold off for a while.

Sky, whatever I decide is usually backwards. Had a neighbor offer me 80 acres of peanut hay today but I can't find anyone to bale it. But I've got plenty of good quality grass hay. And plan to plant a good bit of winter grazing. Guess I will probably just sit back and exit. And will probably regret it.

That sucks peanut vine hay is good stuff. I will plant more oats this fall too.

Just got it worked out. $20 each to bale. $8 each to farmer. Net wrap. Can't go wrong there.
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:19 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
You know you are an angel investor when the sales barn manager runs across the parking lot and begs you to come back inside... :cowboy:

Or a sucker :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Couldn't resist :cowboy:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:30 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
Sky, whatever I decide is usually backwards. Had a neighbor offer me 80 acres of peanut hay today but I can't find anyone to bale it. But I've got plenty of good quality grass hay. And plan to plant a good bit of winter grazing. Guess I will probably just sit back and exit. And will probably regret it.

Just got it worked out. $20 each to bale. $8 each to farmer. Net wrap. Can't go wrong there.

Sounds good unless there using a tiny baler
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:00 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

How much will you have in it per bale JMJ?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:07 pm

dairies here will give 50 a roll for 5x6 net wrap only pnut hay . Most of the farmers want me to pay 20 a bale just to roll it
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:33 pm

I will have a total of $28/roll in it. 4x6 net wrapped. The farmer is a neighbor and close friend. They usually leave it on the field bc they say it's worth more to build the land than it is to bale it and buy fertilizer. The only reason they offered it to me is because they are gonna let the farmland go next year (it's dryland) and they want to get what they can out of it. 80 acres. I hope it yields around 2-3 rolls per acre.
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:46 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:

Or a sucker :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Couldn't resist :cowboy:

Yeah, sucker with the way things are; or just rolling in dough and afraid that the negative interest rates will take more than the calves will lose.....We are hearing that it won't turn around til spring if then. Ya gotta think about the elections coming up....We've got hay and will probably keep alot through also, but have to move some to make these payments.... :frowns: :frowns: :frowns: :frowns:
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:28 am

JMJ Farms wrote:I will have a total of $28/roll in it. 4x6 net wrapped. The farmer is a neighbor and close friend. They usually leave it on the field bc they say it's worth more to build the land than it is to bale it and buy fertilizer. The only reason they offered it to me is because they are gonna let the farmland go next year (it's dryland) and they want to get what they can out of it. 80 acres. I hope it yields around 2-3 rolls per acre.

That's a good price and the cows love and do very well on peanut hay. Any ideas on what a roll of peanut hay weighs compared to Bermuda hay. I was told you need to feed 2 rolls of peanut hay to equal one roll of Russell Bermuda hay?
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:56 am

Skyhightree1; why not use the callicrate bander and do that 600 lb bull calf with an attitude? We do all our larger calves with it. Doesn't stop the wild ones from being wild but cuts off (sic) the hormones and calms down the "bull"y actions alot. I like to let the natural testosterone work on the growing of the calves until they get up to 4wts when we can, but some get done when they go to pasture w momma due to lack of handling facilities etc. It works REAL good, they usually only lay around for half hour or so as it cuts off the feeling really quick if you do it right, and that's it.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:11 am

farmerjan wrote:Skyhightree1; why not use the callicrate bander and do that 600 lb bull calf with an attitude? We do all our larger calves with it. Doesn't stop the wild ones from being wild but cuts off (sic) the hormones and calms down the "bull"y actions alot. I like to let the natural testosterone work on the growing of the calves until they get up to 4wts when we can, but some get done when they go to pasture w momma due to lack of handling facilities etc. It works REAL good, they usually only lay around for half hour or so as it cuts off the feeling really quick if you do it right, and that's it.

I don't have one nor does any of my friends. I thought about buying one but realistically I would never use it. I have been selling bulls lately.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:35 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:I will have a total of $28/roll in it. 4x6 net wrapped. The farmer is a neighbor and close friend. They usually leave it on the field bc they say it's worth more to build the land than it is to bale it and buy fertilizer. The only reason they offered it to me is because they are gonna let the farmland go next year (it's dryland) and they want to get what they can out of it. 80 acres. I hope it yields around 2-3 rolls per acre.

That's a good price and the cows love and do very well on peanut hay. Any ideas on what a roll of peanut hay weighs compared to Bermuda hay. I was told you need to feed 2 rolls of peanut hay to equal one roll of Russell Bermuda hay?

A lot of it depends on the moisture of the hay when it's rolled. If it's rolled good and tight it's definitely lighter but I wouldn't think there would be a whole terrible lot of difference in it. I've never weighed a roll. As far as quality, IMO, one roll of peanut hay is worth 2 rolls of bermuda as far as the benefit to the cow. After we get it rolled I will weigh a bale so we will know for sure bc I would like to know myself also.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:24 pm

Floyd the hay guy told me that so that's why I'm interested in your results also. I know when I feed peanut hay the coons are in the barn every night.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:13 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
farmerjan wrote:Skyhightree1; why not use the callicrate bander and do that 600 lb bull calf with an attitude? We do all our larger calves with it. Doesn't stop the wild ones from being wild but cuts off (sic) the hormones and calms down the "bull"y actions alot. I like to let the natural testosterone work on the growing of the calves until they get up to 4wts when we can, but some get done when they go to pasture w momma due to lack of handling facilities etc. It works REAL good, they usually only lay around for half hour or so as it cuts off the feeling really quick if you do it right, and that's it.

I don't have one nor does any of my friends. I thought about buying one but realistically I would never use it. I have been selling bulls lately.

We don't sell bull calves here now, they are discounted .20 to .30 per pound and that is way too much to lose. We bought our bander used, try craig's list or ebay.... We have several people that have borrowed it for the very reason, they only have one calf or something, that would make it an expensive investment but I have never regretted it. We don't ask anyone to pay to use it, just they buy their own bands and the tetanus shot, or pay us for the cost if they use ours. Saw a pen of NICE 5wt bull calves go through 2 weeks ago, brought .90 when equivalent steers were bringing 1.25 to 1.30.. If I had some cash I think I would've taken the chance but things are tight right now and do not want to borrow any money for that. If prices hold at 1.25, in 2 weeks those calves could have gone back and made .30 lb. It's done all the time.... You can cut the sack off in a week and they look fine.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:28 pm

farmerjan wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

We don't sell bull calves here now, they are discounted .20 to .30 per pound and that is way too much to lose. We bought our bander used, try craig's list or ebay.... We have several people that have borrowed it for the very reason, they only have one calf or something, that would make it an expensive investment but I have never regretted it. We don't ask anyone to pay to use it, just they buy their own bands and the tetanus shot, or pay us for the cost if they use ours. Saw a pen of NICE 5wt bull calves go through 2 weeks ago, brought .90 when equivalent steers were bringing 1.25 to 1.30.. If I had some cash I think I would've taken the chance but things are tight right now and do not want to borrow any money for that. If prices hold at 1.25, in 2 weeks those calves could have gone back and made .30 lb. It's done all the time.... You can cut the sack off in a week and they look fine.

yea I know the hit you take and don't worry about it. at times steers and bulls were priced the same
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”