Custom Feed Recipes for Heifers and bulls?

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
herefordhandler16
Cowhand
Cowhand

Custom Feed Recipes for Heifers and bulls?

Postby herefordhandler16 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:19 pm

I don't like going the route of buying name brand show feed and have recently stared mixing my own. Currently I feed a mix that is soybean holes, corn gluten hole pellets, crimped corn, oats and topped with beet pulp and cherry oil. I have used cotton seed before in the mix.

I'm going to start feeding more fill and less feed. What do you as a fill and what mix of feed do you add it to?

My calves are picky eaters and they never finish what they eat and they aren't being over fed.
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Re: Custom Feed Recipes for Heifers and bulls?

Postby Kingfisher » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:06 pm

What are you calling "fill?"
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

sackshowcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby sackshowcattle » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:11 pm

Your soy hulls and your beetpulp are high in fiber already so unless you don't have enough in your mix it should be OK. You can add some cotton seed hulls in for more roughage if you like, or shop around for one of the concentrates and add your ingredients to it. Purina grand fortifier comes to mind and they also give some examples of what you can mix in on their website.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:18 am

herefordhandler16 wrote:I don't like going the route of buying name brand show feed and have recently stared mixing my own. Currently I feed a mix that is soybean holes, corn gluten hole pellets, crimped corn, oats and topped with beet pulp and cherry oil. I have used cotton seed before in the mix.

I'm going to start feeding more fill and less feed. What do you as a fill and what mix of feed do you add it to?

My calves are picky eaters and they never finish what they eat and they aren't being over fed.

How much of each ingredient do you put in the mix and what's the purpose of the cherry oil?
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Show Board”