Good day today

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Good day today

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:57 pm

We have had a fantastic show season, but today was really good for the kids. We went to a show today, and had a blast. Our son, who just turned 11, beat his sister in showmanship, which almost never happens! Here is a pic of his spoils:
There were lots of junior showman, but he turned on the effort and the judge was great at working with them all day during the cattle classes, and our son learned and changed. The judge was impressed. He won a bucket, show stick, show hater, comb, and a rope halter with matching neck tie (pink!). That heifer he is holding won her class, and he had two heifers in the grand champion drive! His cow was Champion Cow Calf Pair. He showed 4 head.
Our daughter had a good day too! She showed the reserve champion purebred heifer, and the reserve champion percentage heifer both! The purebred heifer that won reserve champion purebred was one of the twins we had late last fall (remember the thread?), and the first time she had been out. The percentage heifer is her little white faced Feb heifer. But, the caveat was her winning Supreme Champion Bull of the show. She showed 5 head. Oh, and that January bull calf was weighed today; 801 pounds. He is on pasture at home, with about 12 pounds of bull ration (in a pen of 6 bulls, 75 pounds a day). Chunky Monkey!
Here she is pictured with the judge and the buckle she won!

Yup, good day for Fire Sweep Simmentals! :heart:
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Good day today

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:10 pm

Nice job! More pics of the other they showed????
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:38 am

I need to ship my steer to you folks! Very good results and congrats to the kids!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:27 pm

A good day indeed! Busy day.

How many in the classes?

Congrats to your kids!
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:10 pm

Nice work! How exciting for them.
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:59 pm

I was a single parent this weekend, so the pictures I posted someone else took for me! I was busy getting heifers ready and helping the kids find help to show in the champion drive (since both kids had several head in the champion drive)! There were over 30 head of simmental cattle alone, I would say. Our area has a bunch of top quality breeders, and the judge made that comment. The quality of the simmental cattle there was deep, with many of the cattle there shown at the regional classics and nationals in Texas. Being the junior advisor of the MO Simmental group, I see these kids all year long at all the shows, and it is neat to see them grown and their heifers grow with them. All of our heifers were in different classes, but I am not sure how many classes total there were since I was busy fetching cattle and bringing them back and forth for the next class.
This is one someone took...this is one of the twins
And another of our April purebred our daughter is selling in the Fall Harvest state sale

Both of those heifers were first in their classes, with the twin being the reserve champion. She is super long, deep ribbed, and lots of power for a November heifer calf. That is what the judge liked about her, she was fresh and good!

Thanks for all the complements... we just had a great day!
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Chris H
GURU
GURU

Postby Chris H » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:19 am

I was going to give you heck about your picture taking ability, it didn't do justice to those kids & cattle, but you explained first. Glad you got some pictures.
0 x
Welcome to the U.S.S.A.

Return to “Show Board”