Cattle Judging

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Cattle Judging

Postby Nesikep » Mon May 15, 2017 1:35 am

I'd do a typical 4 cylinder firing order.. 1-3-4-2

I think RAISING cattle to win shows is a waste of effort and possibly counterproductive to economic.. however, the show and judging is valuable. Playing dressup with calves and making them so fluffy nearly any flaw can be combed over, that's useless unless your kids are trying to become beauticians... Color me stupid, but I'd sooner look at (and buy) slick animals and see a few flaws than buying a bunch of cotton candy with hooves.

Of those 14,000 entries, how many of them were from people with ag experience? Was it a bunch of people looking and saying "OOoh, that one has cute spots", or was it from people working with (dairy) cattle who know what to look for? If 14,000 experienced people entered and not ONE got it right, then the judging is screwy!

Do they have a "cheat sheet", where they look at particular traits, score that trait, and then sum the scores? If an exceptionally high value is placed to a trait of little productive importance (lets say "topline"), that could explain why an experienced person would go wrong by placing a high value on a trait like "udder structure" instead, which is something that really will be a production changer for that animal
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Postby jkwilson » Thu May 18, 2017 7:00 am

Nesikep wrote:I'd do a typical 4 cylinder firing order.. 1-3-4-2

I think RAISING cattle to win shows is a waste of effort and possibly counterproductive to economic..

My granddaughter is showing one of our heifers this year. She usually wins her class, but in the championship she has been told twice that her calf "will make the best cow" but didn't win. If you aren't picking the heifer that will make the best cow, what exactly is the purpose of the whole exercise? Are we choosing swimsuit models or calf bearers and raisers?

She has fun and has learned the discipline that comes from having to feed, water and scoop manure regardless of what the weather is like or what else she has to do, which is a net positive, but the whole show thing is seriously screwed up.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu May 18, 2017 10:03 am

Boy, I should get into showing.. I have lots of calves that won't 'make the best cows'... yes, it is screwy, but I'm glad she's learning, and perhaps the biggest lesson is that the table is tilted.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:15 am

callmefence wrote:Give everyone a bawling 300 pound calf with nuts. All expenses documented. Meet back at the local sale barn in 6 months and run em through. Simple math will pick a winner

Good idea. That would be a lot more realistic.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue May 30, 2017 1:35 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:Suggesting that those other competitions are somehow more legitimate because of a judging panel is, to me, laughable. Several shows I am aware of use a panel. It doesn't change the fact that is is just the average of 3 (or however many you choose) opinions. Again, you can not discount the human element. You cannot also discount the usefulness of judging phenotype. It doesn't matter what that dairy cow can put out, if her teats and bag are so poorly put together you cannot get a milker on her.

I realize most on these boards see showing cattle as a waste of time. I would hazard to guess that those are also many of the people who see the millennial generation as a waste of air. I think that that if more people were involved in Ag, even in show stock, you would see less of the problems many complain about in today's youth. Yes, parts of the show world are seedy, but that is in every hobby. Ever see a parent behaving badly at a little league event? I have. I think that showing stock instills a strong work ethic, animal husbandry skills, and forms contacts that will serve a young person all their life. Instead of bashing one of the most effective ways to get youth into Ag, maybe do something that contributes to growth. The ring is one of the few places left that teaches youth that not every one wins and how to work toward a goal. It's really not what a lot of you seem to think it is.

BTW, I've shown everything from rabbits and guinea pigs to horses and cattle as a child. I have watched my sisters evolve as a result of them doing the same. My daughter will attend her first Jr National show in 2019. I'm not speaking as an outsider looking in, but someone who has been part of the show ring world for almost 30 years and has shown everywhere from county fair to the NWSS. My family considers going showing a vacation. We have never been to Disney World or 6 Flags, and I would have it no other way.

Excellent!!! I agree 100%. We don't have a kid problem, we have a parent problem. Too many parents don't encourage their kids to take on projects of any kind that build responsibility and self worth.
I am involved in showing. But. my daughter showed from the age of 7 on up in 4-H and my two grandsons started at age 4 & 6. I never showed until my daughter was gone from home. It is a great tool to advertise what you are raising.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Show Board”