how to calm down a hyper steer

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:43 pm

put him in the freezer. that'll calm him and get him used to people REAL quick.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

showme
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby showme » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:50 pm

Beefy wrote:put him in the freezer. that'll calm him and get him used to people REAL quick.

Try that it should help. Are maybe just ask ollie he seems to know alot about breaking show calves.
0 x

aussie_cowgirl
GURU
GURU

no drugs just time.

Postby aussie_cowgirl » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:51 am

I don't agree in giving ANY cow drugs to calm them down in the initial breaking in progress because any memories aren't retained because they were bloody stoned the entire time. I do agree though with using something like Ace if your steer is particularly edgy and you need to clip.

I have had alot of experience with steers and had to break in a wide range of them.

People will suggest taking away feed etc but you just need time and patience. you can't just click your fingers and make your steer love you and be as quiet as a sack of potatoes. Jesus I wish they were but thats just not how it works.

Get your steer in a decent sized yard. having him in the yards especially if its near the farm action means 1. hes exposed to people and sounds 2. you can actually concentrate on individual show feeding.

Just by being around noise will calm him down a little. Next get in the yard. Be aware of where you are and try and read your steers body language. get a show cane or a piece of poly pipe too not just for safety but also its an extended arm. which is conveniant. walk around, dont chase your steer so he gets used to you moving around him. when he calms down a little rub the cane/pipe over him. I've found that normally they like having their bums scratched but some like shoulders etc. this will help u learn your animals 'good spot' so if he has a balistic attack later it will help calm him down.

all this takes a bit of time. after you feel he's used to you go about how ever you train your cattle. Another good idea is to bag them later on. tie them up, get a broom and tie a grain bag over the end. make noises, rub it all over them. They will have a sad, jump kick but give it 10-20 mins and they will stand still as you flap it around the feet.

hope this helps good luch
0 x

The Show Maker
Cowhand
Cowhand

how to calm down a steer

Postby The Show Maker » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:22 pm

id ace him with about 3 cc/ml and that will make him calm down i had a wild hefier i wanted to show but she keeped draging me so i tryed aceing her and it worked now she is leading fine it dont make them mean some people say's it will but so fare i can do any thing with her and the ace you can get from your local vet and it lasts 24 hours.
Thats all i no to do to a wild steer or cow.
0 x

ollie
Rancher
Rancher

Re: how to calm down a steer

Postby ollie » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:06 pm

The Show Maker wrote:id ace him with about 3 cc/ml and that will make him calm down i had a wild hefier i wanted to show but she keeped draging me so i tryed aceing her and it worked now she is leading fine it dont make them mean some people say's it will but so fare i can do any thing with her and the ace you can get from your local vet and it lasts 24 hours.
Thats all i no to do to a wild steer or cow.
What grade are you in Showmaker?
0 x
I head North to seek out a man that some say can explain to me the brotherhood of the apostrophe.

showme
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby showme » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:23 pm

I am breaking a 10 month old heifer when I tie her up does not pull are nothing, I can brush her anything. When it is time to walk her she drug me around the corral for 5 min. straight bending doors. Man was I ever tired but I held on. She has done this for 4 days staright. Then after dragging me she does not walk at all.
0 x

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:53 pm

lol.

do you normally wait until they are 10 months to start working with them? not trying to be a smart be nice, am really asking since i dont know about show cattle. it seems like it would be better to work with them as calves, or even at weaning than to try to train them that old.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:05 am

Beefy - it's definately easier to start with them when they are young, but I have halter broken many yearlings & some cows. It's really not a lot harder - as long as you keep them in a VERY small area & don't go too fast with the training. They have to trust you.
What I know of Ace - if you give 3 cc to even a yearling, I think they would be down for the count the rest of the day - sleeping!!!
We got a partial bottle of Ace years ago from our Vet. Have used it a few times to take the edge off nervous yearling hfrs - but decided we'd rather have them a little jumpy/dancing, rather than have them dopey. But 1/4 to 1/2 was all we needed.
Come to think of it, our bottle probably isn't any good. Can't remember when we used it last, but I guess if you use 3cc at a time, you'd finish a bottle :shock:
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

showme
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby showme » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:09 pm

I dont wean my calves tile about 7 or 8 months if the got lots of milk and creep feed them. I never got around to breaking her because of other stuff going on. I broke one last year 11 months old around this time. Most of the time I start about 7 8 months to break them. Once I wean them they drag a halter for a week the start working with them.
0 x

aussie_cowgirl
GURU
GURU

what age to break in?

Postby aussie_cowgirl » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:55 pm

well ive always broken my cattle in at about 15-18mths. I tried my poddy but he was too sooky and just too imature to take on what i was trying to teach him. I have no problems at 18mths either.
0 x

showme
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby showme » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:47 pm

I did buy one loaded on drugs read the post.
0 x

aussie_cowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby aussie_cowgirl » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:30 am

grr im sick of people talking about drugging cattle This is my opinion on the matter-

If you have a mad cow, shoot it. You dont want that animal passing on those genetics. If you have a steer you want to show that is hyper or nutty, that animal is going to get SOOOOO stressed at the show the meat is going to be tough and theyre gonna lose weight.

But what frustrates me the most is people blaming animals for THEYRE mistakes. I went off at a girl the other day because she was in a yard with a BROKEN IN bull who (as we know is a sign of submission usually) and she hit it in the face with a peice of poly pipe. Its THESE head shy animals i get given to 'fix'. People just take time with your animals and 95% of the time they will come good.

sorry, bit of steam let off there. I'm just sick of having to retrain animals. :mad:
0 x

aussie_cowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby aussie_cowgirl » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:32 am

oh btw SCfarms have you tried walking next to a cow as its being dragged behind a tractor?
0 x

ksu_showchick_22
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ksu_showchick_22 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:45 am

most people say that some wont calm down but there is always a way to calm a calf down...first tie him up for 3 days, head up. go out and pet him every hour...he will get use to your touch and then when he stops jumping when you go near him then start letting his head down a lil at a time. if this does not work then email me and i will tell you many other methads ... as you can tell i dont like to drug them.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”