Gelbvieh/Shorthorn cross heifer opinion

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Gelbvieh/Shorthorn cross heifer opinion

Postby Nesikep » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:47 am

hehe, I guess time will tell... I'll be weaning her in about 2 weeks or so.. she's about 650 lbs now
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:41 pm

well, with the logistics of giving water to all the cows and keeping heifers away from bulls, I chose to wean the remaining 2 heifers last weekend... would have liked to have them on milk another 2-3 weeks, but it was just too complicated... they aren't happy about this at all, 4 days later they still bawl all the time... I'm going to take a couple measurements and record the weights

brrr, it's cold.. -19C this morning
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:53 pm

here's the sire

0 x

thunder downunder
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby thunder downunder » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:31 am

awesome heifer!!
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Here's a pic I took last week, she's 9 1/2 months here

0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Here she is at 11 months
0 x

ANAZAZI
GURU
GURU

Postby ANAZAZI » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:59 am

Still like her! :clap:
0 x
Brindles have more fun!

gabbyellepaige
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gabbyellepaige » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:48 pm

she's a god heifer i see some slight faults but she
is a cutie non the less.
0 x

This is happiness, to be everything at once.
Be unblinded, be unlearned, be unbridled and unburned.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:22 am

well, she's the granddaughter of "the ugliest cow Randaliana has ever seen", a few faults are to be expected still!.. Though I do value good posture, etc, I'm getting really tired of dealing with cows with bad udders, bad attitudes, bad hooves, prolapses, and fencebusters.. this one doesn't have any of those problems at least... her mother has had retained placenta a couple times, hope she doesn't.

While i was doing data entry from the hardcopy herd books to computer, I found that the longer the cow lived, the less offspring we kept from her... Josie (this one's grandmother) we kept 2, and we have 2 granddaughters, for a total of 4, and she lived to have 14 calves.. Another cow, Lucy, we only kept one from, and in other threads you will see Maddy, which is her great grand daughter, well Lucy lived to have 16 calves... (both of these cows were completely trouble free). Instead, we have kept a total of 25 direct and indirect offspring from 2 other cows who only lived to 5 and 8 respectively, and have had to do much too much culling for hooves, udders and prolapse problems... I think it's a high price to pay for an extra 50-100 lbs of calf at the end of a season... Gah.. I'm ranting.. sorry
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Well, she's finally a year old, and I took her out for a stroll and a few pictures.. she was more interested in greenery than posing for a picture properly, and it's also the middle of shedding season here, but here's a couple pictures anyhow, I figure she's about 950 lbs... look about right to you?

Here she is with the "chairman of the board" Maddy, who you may remember from the year before
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:40 am

She's a very nice heifer. Looks like you have a winning combination there. BTW she leads better than my dog.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

2/B or not 2/B
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 2/B or not 2/B » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:37 am

She still looks really great, and I love that you've halter broken her. Congrats on such a lovely girl. We have a couple that I'm really proud of as well. I wish we could fast forward though and see just how productive they'll really be. By the time you know for sure so much has already gone into them.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:31 pm

She comes from a long line of halter broke girls, so it's nearly becoming a genetic trait lol... however, greenery around made her a bit impatient and I was never able to get a picture of her standing in a proper position... In my calving season thread for this year I posted the vid of her brother being born at 140 lbs, and despite I'm not doing any 4Hing, I'm going to train him a little bit, and maybe at the sale barn there'll be someone looking for a 4H candidate... he's already wearing a halter as well, and is about 230 lbs at 1 month, and mild tempered

I really wish I was able to fast forward as well, Time flies for everything except waiting to see how a cow will turn out... I have another calf from this line I'm looking at keeping this year, I don't know if she'll be a big cow, as her mother isn't, but she's got a really sleek fur, fine legs, and a great dark red color.. her brothers were all really big and well conformed, I'm hoping for the same for her... they also eat relatively little for the weight they gain
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:51 pm

Well, as of yesterday, she should be bred, she had her visit with the bull.. here's how she looks today.. nearly finished slicking off.

and since it usually doesn't show up right, a direct link http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/ ... 26-adj.jpg
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:48 pm

She sure is a pretty heifer : )
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Return to “Show Board”