should I market him as a 4H project steer?

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

should I market him as a 4H project steer?

Postby Nesikep » Sun May 08, 2011 1:23 am

well, I have a steer who I think will look impressive by fall time, and I'm wondering if I should post a few ads around to see if someone wants a 4H project steer.. in other words, could someone do something with this guy.. Super friendly, doesn't spook, halterbroke and rideable.

he's fullblood brother to the gelbvieh/shorthorn heifer in my other thread here

Also, the big question of price... in relation to sale barn prices what should I charge?

here he is at 5 weeks old

0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Re: should I market him as a 4H project steer?

Postby KNERSIE » Sun May 08, 2011 2:40 am

Who knows what they want for club calf shows, but for breeding stock shows his tailhead is too prominent and the slope from hooks to pins a touch excessive. The hip angle may very well still change with age, but the tailhead will only become more prominent with age and as the muscle hardens up. Still a good young calf though.
0 x
Every calf deserves a white face.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Sun May 08, 2011 6:34 am

4h is a considerably lesser sale than the market..round here anywyas we bout give em to em if they want..otherwise they lose money on the other end when theyre done
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

showing71
Rancher
Rancher

Postby showing71 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:50 am

We've always paid at market price for a good show steer, and above market price for a great show steer.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sun May 08, 2011 8:56 am

Typically around here, 4-H calves were chosen on the basis that they didn't fit in with the rest of 'daddy's package of steers' and get cut out and fed well. I never did that, I always took one of the best. But trying to market high quality 4-H calves is a tough proposition. Kids learn pretty quick from their parents about 'buy low-sell high'. Once I was out of 4-H, I would pick about one steer a year to sell as a 4-H prospect. 600+ lbs at weaning, but the kids wanted to pay me 70 cents of the dollar and sell him in the end for $2.50/lb. Needless to say I never sold a 4-H prospect calf. :cowboy:
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Mon May 09, 2011 11:50 am

We started with commercial cattle; we paid $.10 over market. We picked through and got the best calves in the lot, they paid for the brand inspection.

If you just raise him like the rest and do no extra work with him, market would about right. If you have him halter broke or broke to tie, have spent extra time with him, and/or started on feed, I would add a little more on to the price.

He looks like he would make a decent fat steer, if you want to sell him as a 4-H project, he should work.

You may find a kid that needs a little financial help and can take off some of the price in trade for a little work on your place.

Aaron: I would not sell either if I was in your shoes, unless you were selling your culls or cripples, market is the least you should sell for. We always paid extra because we were getting first choice, prior to the steers shipping.
0 x

Cowboy 2.0
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Cowboy 2.0 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:27 pm

I wish our market was as nice as yalls. Around here your lucky to find a decent calf for close to market. Even the guys that sell at the sale barn will bust you if they catch a whiff of it being a show calf. A decent calf here will start at about $1500, and good calf between $3500 and $7000 and a great calf is going to run $9000+.
0 x
If you can't convince them, confuse them.
- President Harry S Truman

Thats Mr. Steerjock to you buddy!

Have clippers, will travel!

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Tue May 10, 2011 6:26 am

tell everyone again how great it is in texas
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Tue May 10, 2011 8:16 am

Cowboy 2.0 wrote:I wish our market was as nice as yalls. Around here your lucky to find a decent calf for close to market. Even the guys that sell at the sale barn will bust you if they catch a whiff of it being a show calf. A decent calf here will start at about $1500, and good calf between $3500 and $7000 and a great calf is going to run $9000+.

Where are you located?
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue May 10, 2011 10:01 am

Cowboy 2.0 wrote:I wish our market was as nice as yalls. Around here your lucky to find a decent calf for close to market. Even the guys that sell at the sale barn will bust you if they catch a whiff of it being a show calf. A decent calf here will start at about $1500, and good calf between $3500 and $7000 and a great calf is going to run $9000+.

Sad but true. It isn't that Texas is so great. It is because the sellers jack up the price because many parents will pay it because they are doing it for their kid. You have to realize that many of the kids showing steers here do not live on farms or ranches. They are FFA members who live in subdivisions with parents who do not have an agricultural background. They keep their stock at the school Ag barn and the parents pay the bills.

For example. A friend was looking for a lamb for his daughter. He was told about a guy who was selling lambs for $200. My friend contacted a breeder about one. As soon as the breeder learned that it was going to be for our fair, the guy told my friend that he would love for the girl to show one of his lambs. He had one left and the price was $500.

Concerning the steer in question. Go ahead and advertise him as a potential show prospect. If someone thinks he will work, they will buy him. If not, you can always sell him as a freezer steer.

Good luck.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Tue May 10, 2011 12:56 pm

whatever background ya got..
teachin yer kids that 3-5-7000 dollars for an animal to show is wrong..plain and simple..

.regardless if yer getting gouged by some sorry be nice rancher rippin off kids or stupid parents willing to pay..its WRONG!!
0 x
einstein

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Postby KNERSIE » Tue May 10, 2011 1:37 pm

dieselbeef wrote:whatever background ya got..
teachin yer kids that 3-5-7000 dollars for an animal to show is wrong..plain and simple..

.regardless if yer getting gouged by some sorry be nice rancher rippin off kids or stupid parents willing to pay..its WRONG!!

I agree, don't forget that regardless of how much you paid for it, it's still just a steer and it will still end up in someone toilet eventually
0 x
Every calf deserves a white face.

CPL
GURU
GURU

Postby CPL » Tue May 10, 2011 3:29 pm

In my opinion, there's a big difference between showing up with a steer and showing a steer.
0 x

Cowboy 2.0
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Cowboy 2.0 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:50 am

Kingfisher wrote:

Where are you located?

About 60 miles south of Dallas.
0 x
If you can't convince them, confuse them.
- President Harry S Truman

Thats Mr. Steerjock to you buddy!

Have clippers, will travel!

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Wed May 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Project Steer: Just that an educational project, you purchase commercial steer for market or just above (hopefully there is one of higher quality to give you an edge), feed quality commercial feed, halter break and groom. Take to county fair show and sell your animal for a profit. You hope that it does not become ill or injured where it either goes of feed or needs a vet since that will cut into or take all or more of your project. You keep your records of cost, daily gain, daily activities and turn in your record book.

Show/Project Steer: You plan on showing between 5-20 shows prior to your final show. You purchase animal from a breeder-seller of show (club calf) cattle. The price is what you are willing to spend. You are going to be putting in a ton of time and work with the animal, not to mention the cost of the shows: fuel, hotels, equipment, supplies, entries and such. Do you purchase an animal that is going to compete or stand in or near the bottom of it class every time. What it cost to show, which is a hobby, is a key reason people spend more on their animals.

How many have hobbies: Golf, Fishing, restoring old cars, Rodeo, Kids Club sports.
Do you have the least expensive tools, equipment, or horse, or do you have the best you can afford? It is the same in Jackpotting cattle. The problem for most that do not jackpot is that when these kids are done showing, bring their cattle to the county fair. Most the time the cattle are better looking so yes they do win, do they hang any better or produce a better end product, no not really.

But if you are in it for the project and the learning experience, winning or not winning should not be an issue, as long as you were successful with you project.

My kids started with the commercial animals, made enough money to buy better animals and did, we hauled them all around the state and had a good time, met some great people, made friends that are still good friends even though my boys are older and out of it know. We could have spent that money on other hobbies. My sons learned that the harder you work the better the results, any one can buy a great animal and ruin it, but if you buy a good animal work hard, take care of put in the extra time you will increase your chances of succeeding. Just like sports, school work or life the more you put in the more you get out of it. One decided he did not want to go to college and got a job, he is one of their fastest learning hardest working employees, the other is going to college pulling good grades. I contribute part of their success in real life to what they learned showing cattle.

I have seen to many kids that have a project steer that they did nothing with prior to the show, poured feed in the feeder if they remembered, halter broke it behind the tractor the week before the show, complain that the show steers win because they cost more and have hair. Maybe but the 2 hours a day of grooming and exercising, adjusting their feed thru out the project so they hit 12:00 the day they step into the ring did not hurt them either.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”