should I market him as a 4H project steer?

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
BC
GURU
GURU

Re: should I market him as a 4H project steer?

Postby BC » Wed May 11, 2011 3:57 pm

Cowboy 2.0 wrote:I wish our market was as nice as yalls. Around here your lucky to find a decent calf for close to market. Even the guys that sell at the sale barn will bust you if they catch a whiff of it being a show calf. A decent calf here will start at about $1500, and good calf between $3500 and $7000 and a great calf is going to run $9000+.

I don't know what part of Texas you are from, but I have bought several calves at the sale barn that were competitive in their local shows. The secret to buying at a sale barn is to know what the market value is and how much premium you are willing to give for a calf. If someone is running (plugging) you, sell him the calf. Most order buyers will tell you that they never got hurt by the ones they didn't buy.

Sometimes, some of the order buying companies will let you look through their pens.
0 x

Cowboy 2.0
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Cowboy 2.0 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:27 pm

Keyword local show. We hauled nationwide. My local show was for getting rid of calves we didn't take to a major or brought back home from one. I had fun hauling calves across the country. 50 shows in a year was normal if not more. I had to be competitive at a national level, not a local level. I took care of my calves all the way through. I didn't rely on someone else to so it, but having over 10k in calves in the barn I wanted them to be the best they could.
0 x
If you can't convince them, confuse them.
- President Harry S Truman

Thats Mr. Steerjock to you buddy!

Have clippers, will travel!

MF135
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MF135 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:06 pm

dieselbeef wrote:whatever background ya got..
teachin yer kids that 3-5-7000 dollars for an animal to show is wrong..plain and simple..

.regardless if yer getting gouged by some sorry be nice rancher rippin off kids or stupid parents willing to pay..its WRONG!!

Right or wrong, thats the way it is. If you want to be competitive, you will pay for it. In H.S., I never showed a steer that cost less than $3500. As with anything in this world, better quality is priced higher...maybe not accordingly, but higher. The steer that won our county show in 03 was an $8,000 steer. Take a wild guess at what the competitive steers at Fort Worth or Houston sold for as weaned calves. It does happen, but very rarely can a pasture calf compete with an ET calf thats bred for the show ring.

I went to the WHR shorthorn sale last month. The high selling heifer brought like $31,000. The words out of the man in front of me that purchased her said.. and I quote, "If a thirty thousand dollar calf doesn't win, then the judge picked the wrong one."
0 x
Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful.

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Fri May 13, 2011 9:28 am

The guys that pay the 20-40,000 for a steer have the money and the accountants that know how to right it off.
The average for show good steers run between 2000 and 5000, lower end is 1500.
In many cases the calf you are buying has over a thousand miles in a trailer to get to where you are buying it, has been on feed, is halter broke and been handled, that all cost money.
Some calves start out at 1200 by the time it reaches the final owner it could be 25,000. Each time some one if making a profit, allot of the top steer sellers sale more calves than they have cows, they spend a ton of time on the road looking and finding cattle that fir the niche.
As long as people will pay the prices they get, they will be able to sell them. Right wrong or indifferent that is the way it is.
I still love it when a home bred calf beats the big dollar calf, and more time than not some of those high dollar calves are train wrecks, they just found a sucker with a lot of money and no idea what they are buying, with the thought the more you buy the better it must be.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri May 13, 2011 7:45 pm

wow, this place has been busy..

well, for the beef aspect of this steer, I'm thinking market value..., and then some extra for the work that I will have in him (about 50 cents an hour) would be nice... The reason I say a project is because it would be (in my opinion) a good start in 4H... I see people at the sale barn buying these wild SOB's that just came in off the range and haven't seen a human in 6 months, and the ones they did see usually had rattle paddles and yellow sticks that zap them.. Yesterday I had a friend over and my cows had never seen him, and this steer didn't even get up when my friend was standing next to him. As far as training to make him stand properly, etc, that will be up to the buyer, as I don't have THAT much spare time. In any case, I think he'll be some nice tender steak for someone
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Mon May 16, 2011 11:25 am

I think some kid would be lucky to get him, it sounds like the calves are local bred at your fair, so getting a gentle one would be a blessing fo a begginer.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri May 20, 2011 9:37 pm

well, I turned them all out on grass today, I think he's probably around 325 lbs now, he's caught up to a heifer that was born at 120 lbs and was 2 1/2 weeks older.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:16 am

well, he's just 3 months old and in the area of 450 lbs on milk and grass alone.. built like a brick ****house
0 x

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:18 am

New pictures?
0 x

Keren
GURU
GURU

Postby Keren » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:31 am

Nesi, I remember that heifer and if he's anything like her, yeah I'd market him as a show calf for someone. I'd feed and show him.
0 x
I'll go without sleep trying to save one and then mope around for days if I lose it. -- jkwilson

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:38 pm

here's a pic I think is about 2 weeks old now,
Not the greatest picture, I'll work on that for next week

he's very much like his sister, though maybe even longer in body... whatever his mother decides to make next year I'm going to keep, if it's a bull calf, I'll keep him as a bull, and I won't mind another like his sister either

at last measurement, he had a 53" chest, which works out to 475ish lbs, and at 105 days old, I think that's nothing to complain about, and come be nice or high water, he'll be 700 by falltime

Meanwhile here is his Paternal sister, Maternal cousin, who looks really good as well, she's 2 month younger than the rest of the calves, and she is her mother's 14th calf, growing great too (300 lbs at 60 days), Mother gets 10 lbs of COB a week to compensate for her worn teeth... for the first time in a couple years she re-bred on the first time, so I look forward to her next as well

I wish images would just resize to fit here... for full size pics, go to
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/Rx7man/Moo/
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:04 pm

You have some very nice cattle.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Here is a pic I took today... he must have had a s***ty idea last night though
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/ ... G_6721.jpg

And here is that little heifer and her old mother... she's 2 1/2 months now.. she's catching up to the fastest gaining heifer... at birth she was 200 lbs lighter than the biggest, now she's only 140 lbs lighter.. and 2 months younger

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/ ... G_6712.jpg
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Well, he's nearly 10 months old now and about 925 lbs, he looks pretty impressive for a big baby.. post a pic later tonight...
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:13 am

I'm looking forward to seeing it.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Return to “Show Board”