Calf Calm

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
lesliejane
Beginner
Beginner

Calf Calm

Postby lesliejane » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:10 am

Has anyone had a NEGATIVE experience with Calf Calm?

My daughters steer was a little bit nervous at check in for our fair. Has been a sweetie at home and at another outing the previous weekend. But our 4H leader suggested getting him on calf calm so he could settle in. So we did. Each morning he seemed fairly himself and by each afternoon he was nutty....each day got progressively worse and by the 4th day he was borderline completely NUTS. So the 5th day I gave him nothing and he was completely fine.....the only common demoninator was calf calm....so I spoke to a couple other cattle people at our fair and they told me they have heard of it having an opposite effect....can others share more info with me?

Thank you!
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Re: Calf Calm

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:20 pm

We used it a few times on a heifer that liked to "drive" our daughter while in the show ring. She would get bored of standing, and just push her forward and walk out of position. We got the best, calming results after 2 hours, and she never got wild. She just mellowed out. No bad effects.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:16 am

Try melatonin, start with about 60mg (20-3mg tablets) give it to him every evening for a week and see if he is not calmer, if it helps a little but not enough, increase it to 30-3mg tablets, (this is the amount used for hair growth it won’t hurt him) It will take the edge off one, it is not a drug, it is not tested for and can help on the right calves. If it does work, you can just start him on it a couple days prior to the show, and then take him off of it when you get back home until the next show.

We get it at Wallmart, you can try feeding it in the tablet form but some calves will just eat around them, if that is the case you may have to grind them up first.

As far as calf calm, I think it works on the kids more than the calves; they relax when they know it has been given to the calf which helps the calf relax. I have seen it work on calves just not all of them, the melatonin seems to work more often.
0 x

txffamom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby txffamom » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:31 am

We used it a couple years ago and it seemed to work from around the 2-4 hour mark, then normal bad behaviors resumed. The only thing I saw negative is the heifer would get loose stool afterwards, but that could have also been from the stress of traveling and showing. Once she had a little experience under her belt, she stayed calm and no longer needed it.
0 x

gabbyellepaige
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gabbyellepaige » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:49 pm

I used it on my heifer when i showed and it really had no effect at all. My friends used it as well and got no results, its more of a reassuring calm for the showman than anything I feel.
0 x

This is happiness, to be everything at once.
Be unblinded, be unlearned, be unbridled and unburned.

polledbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby polledbull » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:57 pm

some use Ace Promizine , RX drug
0 x

Return to “Show Board”