Halter Breaking Help

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
cutkicks
Beginner
Beginner

Halter Breaking Help

Postby cutkicks » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:45 pm

I recently picked out my 2013 show steer before I left for school. Usually I don't have such a hard time breaking them or at least calming them down a little bit but this steer just will not give up. He does his absolute best to try to escape even if nobody is near him. When you do try to work with him he is absolutely terrified and wants nothing to do with you at all and when I put a halter on him he practically chokes himself. I have never had a steer do this to me and I don't want to give up yet because it is the best steer we have ever had come out the herd and we want to give him a chance at showing. Any suggestions on halter breaking different ways or any ideas at all? :|
0 x

Chris H
GURU
GURU

Re: Halter Breaking Help

Postby Chris H » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:14 pm

cutkicks wrote:I recently picked out my 2013 show steer before I left for school. Usually I don't have such a hard time breaking them or at least calming them down a little bit but this steer just will not give up. He does his absolute best to try to escape even if nobody is near him. When you do try to work with him he is absolutely terrified and wants nothing to do with you at all and when I put a halter on him he practically chokes himself. I have never had a steer do this to me and I don't want to give up yet because it is the best steer we have ever had come out the herd and we want to give him a chance at showing. Any suggestions on halter breaking different ways or any ideas at all? :|

Find a couple of the youtube video clips on this board. We worked with a calf for a week, let him go with his mother for a week, caught them a couple days & hauled them to a week long show. That show was the 1st of August. They came home and were turned loose in the pasture. I was moving them a week ago & the calf got into an adjoining field. I walked up to him in the large field, put a halter on him and led him to the gate.
This is typical of calves we've broken according to those videos. One thing that I don't remember on the video, we don't tie them any more until we can walk up, halter, and lead them.
0 x
Welcome to the U.S.S.A.

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Re: Halter Breaking Help

Postby branguscowgirl » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:50 pm

I had a really difficult bull calf this year also. I had to put him though the sweep and into the alley to get anywhere near him. Once in the alley, I scratched his belly with a show stick until he settled a bit. Once he excepted that I scratched everywhere else, working closer and closer until I could do it with my hands and/or a brush. He was tuff though! He started off trying to climb through everything to get away. I even had his momma tied next to him outside the panel. Had to do this every day for a couple weeks!
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

Return to “Show Board”