Show steer and carcass steer questions

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Re: Show steer and carcass steer questions

Postby hillsdown » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:32 pm

VCC wrote:I never fed over 25 a day (plus grain hay) but a cold day around here is low 50's, I would guess 32 is good, as long as they are cleaning it up and not getting too loose, just watch them, if their gaining and putting on mass you should be fine, 2-3 % of their body weight is the rule thumb. Just watch them near the end so they do not get sloppy on you, you want hit your fair with a nice smooth layer of fat, not rolls of fat.

Some calves will eat all you give them but at some point the excess just runs on through, at the price of feed it is not worth it.

If you can post some pictures, would like to see them.

Thanks VCC ! Will definitely keep an eye on them so they don't get sloppy fat. I also agree that at these feed prices I sure don't want them to not utilize all of it . Was talking to other parents last week and most can't get their steers to eat over 20 lbs yet without problems so I think these guys are doing well .

Hopefully I will remember to take the camera out with me tomorrow for pics.

Here is a < not that great > pic of Ace from the beginning of Dec. They were at 20 lbs of grower a day then .

0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:05 pm

Our two steers are eating a 50 pound sack of winter creep in 12 hours, so that is 25 pounds a day each. One weighs 1010 and the other weighs 950, so I bet you are fine.
I look forward to seeing updated pics! Sounds like you are doing great with them!
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:53 am

Stout little dude, from that one shot he looks like he is the right type. He has some power to him, doesn’t he? I think he is looking good.
0 x

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:05 pm

Too much tag right now to get a good pic , they lay in poop even though they have a foot of clean straw in there shelter.. :roll:

hopefully now that it is warming up again I can get him brushed out and get a pic soon .

Thank you VCC for you advice and replies ! :tiphat:

Thanks so much also to Fire Sweep and everyone that gives us(me) very helpful advice and encouragement , it is gratefully appreciated . :D
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:42 pm

The best I can get until it warms up more .
0 x
HD

Louis Sabin}

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:49 am

Looks like someone has some fun ahead of for them. I would start putting some WD-40 on those things now and see if you could not get rid of them a little at a time.
We soak them in WD-40, let it stand for about a half hour so they soften up and then try and break them down, granted we do not have the kind of weather you do, so not near as many to deal with.
Calf looks to have a good frame on him.
0 x

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:00 pm

Once it thaws and warms up here that winter coat slicks off fast and is replaced by a new shiny one . So I am not too worried about that ,, yet .

If he still looks like that mid April I may panic . :shock:
0 x
HD

Louis Sabin}

Return to “Show Board”