This year's steers.

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

This year's steers.

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:59 pm

Here's this years steers. Both born at the end of march, A1 from a 1/8 Chi- Angus cow, A02 from a Lim-Ang cow, and both out of a PB sim bull. A02's mom died when he was 3 months, and he started stealing off of A1's mom, but she didn't care, and ended up raising both of them to 6.5 months. Getting weighed in on Feb. 8th. They are both going to be growers, and I hope they don't finish to soon before July 25th when they main show is. Tell me what you think.

A1 afar.

A02 and another feeder steer.

A02

Behind

A1

angle shot

As of right now I like A02 better, but time will tell.
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Re: This year's steers.

Postby 3waycross » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:58 am

nice......very nice
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

dryfork2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby dryfork2 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:34 pm

Both look like good calves.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:55 pm

Our weigh in is Feb 8th also, but our kill date is the end of June. We are raising two this year also, but one is a December (yearling now) and one is a June. They were both cut for a reason, the December weighs around 950, and the June weights around 950! Too small and too big! But, they will taste great!
Your steers look good, would you say they are 750 ish? My kids are looking forward to it, they are ready to get started.
Here is a pic of them taken in early December, the front steer with less white is the June and the one behind him with more white is the December. They are both purebred Simmental steers. Right now they are eating 50 pounds of creep a day, with hay.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:08 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:Our weigh in is Feb 8th also, but our kill date is the end of June. We are raising two this year also, but one is a December (yearling now) and one is a June. They were both cut for a reason, the December weighs around 950, and the June weights around 950! Too small and too big! But, they will taste great!
Your steers look good, would you say they are 750 ish? My kids are looking forward to it, they are ready to get started.
Here is a pic of them taken in early December, the front steer with less white is the June and the one behind him with more white is the December. They are both purebred Simmental steers. Right now they are eating 50 pounds of creep a day, with hay.

My weight guesses are usually a 100 pounds less, I was never very good at guessing weight, and that's why I don't work at the carnivals, :lol2: but I would say 750-800 wouldn't be a bad guess.

Those are some good looking steers. That June one looks like a grower, and shouldn't be to far behind. Just keep the feed coming, and they will do good.

If anyone else has pics of their steers for this year, go a head and share.
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

glacierridge
GURU
GURU

Postby glacierridge » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:59 am

Looks like a good batch
Good luck!!!
0 x
As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:41 am

Great looking cattle Sim Ang and Fire Sweep, thanks for sharing.
0 x

Beef Man
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Beef Man » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:20 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:Here's this years steers. Both born at the end of march, A1 from a 1/8 Chi- Angus cow, A02 from a Lim-Ang cow, and both out of a PB sim bull. A02's mom died when he was 3 months, and he started stealing off of A1's mom, but she didn't care, and ended up raising both of them to 6.5 months. Getting weighed in on Feb. 8th. They are both going to be growers, and I hope they don't finish to soon before July 25th when they main show is. Tell me what you think. If you grow them another 30 days and then push them I surely would'nt think they will get overdone. Look like good growthy steers to me.

A1 afar.

A02 and another feeder steer.

A02

Behind

A1

angle shot

As of right now I like A02 better, but time will tell.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”