Can anyone tell me about these bulls?

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Can anyone tell me about these bulls?

Postby Till-Hill » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:29 pm

I meant both books I have seen had status listed.

Who in the commercial world or beef cattle is using THC and PHC bulls? That would be risky to me. We have few THC and just one know PHC cow, mate them clean or test them.

DD just came out, something else will follow and something else behind that. It just takes management. Clean-up bulls are always clean here and on 20 head last year I used 1 THC bull. It's really not a huge deal.

Even if you explain these defects to most commercial guys they don't understand and don't care. But I would explain if I ever seen a potential carrier to a buyer.
0 x

OakCreekRanch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby OakCreekRanch » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Interestingly, I guess my book must be misprinted or that I can't find the carrier status on the club calf bulls. I just wished that my fiancée didn't throw that book in the fire stove.

I don't know why the folks would using club calf bulls on their commercial cows. I didn't asked them as I don't want to offend them. Perhaps make a quick buck or do a little experimental breeding? Who knows.

Its great that you guys are keeping the carriers and I don't have any problems with it. Its just I don't want the detects leaving the farm. Who knows I might get a club calf steer or heifer for our kids someday if we're thinking about having children.
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:01 pm

There are alot of good cattle today that have known defects and alot more that will have something pop up in the future. Manage the defects and breed the kind of cows you want and mostly the ones that make you money.

Defect deal is a pain, Angus cows have spend couple hundred testing and more to do yet, clubby cattle around the same. But once a mature cow is tested clean and use clean bulls shouldn't have to worry untill something "new" comes out again! Keeping pedigree info and every animal is very important.
0 x

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:08 pm

As for the loser part, I think he was trying to say look closer, and missed the c.
The club calf industry breeds cattle for shows, that is their goal, which is why they are called Club Calves. How many calves with defects have you heard about or seen from commercial outfits?
This discussion has been going on since they found the TH and PHA defects and identified the carriers, some thought that all carriers should have been sent to slaughter; other just started managing their herd accordingly, other just kept doing the same old thing.
If you do not want carriers on your place do not buy cattle that could be carriers, if you want to buy some of the cattle from your neighbor and are not sure of their status, see if he will either pay for the test or at least pay for half of the test, if their clean then you are fine, buy them, if their dirty, pass. There are some could club calf genetics out there that are clean, just need to be diligent in your choices.
The big problem is the hot bulls are carriers and it seems like the next hot bull coming out are sons who are also carriers as well.
I breed to non-carriers and stay away from the hotter bulls because I try a breed calves where I get a steer or heifer that is usable, if I were to breed for steers only I would sell the heifers as market heifers, not too much to worry about after they push the heifers on feed so hard, if they decided to keep her to breed most wont cycle anyway.
The cow I have that may be a carrier, came from a mating of an Angus cow to a Sim X bull that turned out to be a carrier, the cow was bred to him prior to the list of carriers coming out. She had a heifer calf for her first calf, that is the cow I still have, the original cow got stifled carrying her second calf and was put down.

For those who have them, if they manage them, are honest when they sell heifers, there should be no issues. For those who do not have them in their herd, I understand their desire to keep it out. It is easier to not have to manage a problem, so why invite it in.

When you are getting anywhere from $5000 to $25000 for steers out of certain bulls it is hard for people to stop using them.
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:29 pm

VCC wrote:As for the loser part, I think he was trying to say look closer, and missed the c.
The club calf industry breeds cattle for shows, that is their goal, which is why they are called Club Calves. How many calves with defects have you heard about or seen from commercial outfits?
This discussion has been going on since they found the TH and PHA defects and identified the carriers, some thought that all carriers should have been sent to slaughter; other just started managing their herd accordingly, other just kept doing the same old thing.
If you do not want carriers on your place do not buy cattle that could be carriers, if you want to buy some of the cattle from your neighbor and are not sure of their status, see if he will either pay for the test or at least pay for half of the test, if their clean then you are fine, buy them, if their dirty, pass. There are some could club calf genetics out there that are clean, just need to be diligent in your choices.
The big problem is the hot bulls are carriers and it seems like the next hot bull coming out are sons who are also carriers as well.
I breed to non-carriers and stay away from the hotter bulls because I try a breed calves where I get a steer or heifer that is usable, if I were to breed for steers only I would sell the heifers as market heifers, not too much to worry about after they push the heifers on feed so hard, if they decided to keep her to breed most wont cycle anyway.
The cow I have that may be a carrier, came from a mating of an Angus cow to a Sim X bull that turned out to be a carrier, the cow was bred to him prior to the list of carriers coming out. She had a heifer calf for her first calf, that is the cow I still have, the original cow got stifled carrying her second calf and was put down.

For those who have them, if they manage them, are honest when they sell heifers, there should be no issues. For those who do not have them in their herd, I understand their desire to keep it out. It is easier to not have to manage a problem, so why invite it in.

When you are getting anywhere from $5000 to $25000 for steers out of certain bulls it is hard for people to stop using them.

Thanks VCC no I did not mean to say loser.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”