Questions on Jackpot Showing

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
RoppFamilyFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Questions on Jackpot Showing

Postby RoppFamilyFarm » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:37 pm

So growing up I was never involved in Jackpot showing, I just showed at my county and state fairs in 4-H. Since i am slowly getting back into showing cattle again, i have a couple of unanswered questions on jackpot shows that i hope you guys can help me with.

1. I have some purebred SH heifers that I own with my cousin. There are a few jackpot shows that she would like to take the Heifers to this spring and summer herself to show. Is she able to do this if she is on the registration papers with me?

2. I have heard mixed answers on this question: Can I keep them on pasture during the jackpot season, or should I keep them strictly on grain and hay. I was told that this would keep them from having a "pasture belly".

Thanks for the help!
0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Re: Questions on Jackpot Showing

Postby branguscowgirl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:23 am

I show cattle, but I do not know a thing about "jackpot shows," as you describe. There is always money awards at the Fairs also... I show mostly at the State Fair, Cow Palace, ect..
My show cattle stay on pasture during show season. The "pasture belly" depends on your cattle and the grass. I have very high protein grazing. Lot's of clover. So it is much more cost effective to leave mine out, and bring them in every day to work with them. My cattle do well with this, and look really good on the grass. Some will not do as well. You will have to judge your own cattle by how they look. My bulls that sell, are known for maintaining body condition, and not loosing a bunch of condition when turned out (due to being grain fed all their lives.) The same works for my cows. I only keep and breed animals that are naturally thick. I don't know if any of what I said helps answer your questions, but I tried. :D
Hopefully, someone more educated in "jackpot shows" will join in!
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

Chi496
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chi496 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:54 am

Here is my advice transfer the heifer into your cousins name only. Most junior shows will only accept animals that are soley owned by the exhibitor. Then after the show season transfer the animal back to your name.
No to your question about pasture. How serious do you want to compete. If you both are in agreement you don't care about placing last by all means leave the calf in the pasture. If you would like to compete the heifer should have been in the barn yesterday on full feed and working her hair.
0 x

RoppFamilyFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby RoppFamilyFarm » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks branguscowgirl & Chi496 for the help. even though you have differing views i kinda agree with both. I want my cattle once they are done showing to not be soo dependent on grain, but at the same time i want to present them as good as i can in the show ring. I will just have to try and find a good combination of both.

Chi496 - thanks for the info on transferring the animal. I will look into doing that.
0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:51 am

I might add, we do things different with the Brangus, we completely body clip them for summer shows. No fancy stuff with the hair. So different breeds, different routine. My Brangus show slick, no hiding or fluffing anything. Makes rinsing and showing a lot less work!
0 x

torogmc81
Rancher
Rancher

Postby torogmc81 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:03 pm

branguscowgirl wrote:I might add, we do things different with the Brangus, we completely body clip them for summer shows. No fancy stuff with the hair. So different breeds, different routine. My Brangus show slick, no hiding or fluffing anything. Makes rinsing and showing a lot less work!

All breeds should be doing this. Makes things a lot more fair. I'm definitely on the traditional side of the world, but being in Angus, just have to go with the flow
0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:15 pm

torogmc81 wrote:
branguscowgirl wrote:I might add, we do things different with the Brangus, we completely body clip them for summer shows. No fancy stuff with the hair. So different breeds, different routine. My Brangus show slick, no hiding or fluffing anything. Makes rinsing and showing a lot less work!

All breeds should be doing this. Makes things a lot more fair. I'm definitely on the traditional side of the world, but being in Angus, just have to go with the flow

I agree torogmc81! It should be what you see, is what you get! No fluff. I don't think that I could show any other breed, If I had to do all that work with their hair! Lol
At the RB Bull sale, you have the Halter bulls and the Range Ready bulls. The rules specifically state, "Range Ready bulls will not be clipped." Well, I am here to tell ya they were ALL clipped! Nothing fancy. But all had clipped heads, ears, underlines and tails. Someone obviously started breaking the rules, and everyone followed as to not be out done......... :bang:
Ranchers were buying these bulls. So my halter bull was lucky to get the poo washed off. Lol Oh, and he was out on pasture, just like he will be when he sold to a big commercial operation. I can assure you, they won't be scratching his head and giving him any grain! So why make it hard on him to adjust?
0 x

RoppFamilyFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby RoppFamilyFarm » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:06 pm

branguscowgirl wrote:
torogmc81 wrote:

I agree torogmc81! It should be what you see, is what you get! No fluff. I don't think that I could show any other breed, If I had to do all that work with their hair! Lol
At the RB Bull sale, you have the Halter bulls and the Range Ready bulls. The rules specifically state, "Range Ready bulls will not be clipped." Well, I am here to tell ya they were ALL clipped! Nothing fancy. But all had clipped heads, ears, underlines and tails. Someone obviously started breaking the rules, and everyone followed as to not be out done......... :bang:
Ranchers were buying these bulls. So my halter bull was lucky to get the poo washed off. Lol Oh, and he was out on pasture, just like he will be when he sold to a big commercial operation. I can assure you, they won't be scratching his head and giving him any grain! So why make it hard on him to adjust?

Back when i was showing in 4H 20 years ago, everyone body clipped and maybe balled the tail and brushed the tail head that was it. You got a true look at the cattle, not a sculpted, fluffed, spray painted version :) That is why i feel there is a BIG difference from the commercial SH side of the breed and the Showy side. I like cattle that work for me.
0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:35 pm

We cant even be caught with hoof spray on our Brangus! Lol
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:36 pm

We show cattle, and play at a few jackpot shows. If you want to be serious, you need to pull her in and feed her like a show heifer. I can tell you with our cattle, they are on pasture at night and grain fed during the day. Most of our girls go on to make great cows for their second career after showing, and if not they are shipped. The biggest thing to remember is what is most important; winning or the future of the heifer as a cow? Overfeed her and she will likely have problems with milk production (linked to fat deposits in the udder), so you need to find the balance of weight, winning, and her future. I am sure we have left many wins on the table because we were not fat enough to compete, but I also know that my girls will go home and make cows.
Hope that helps!
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

RoppFamilyFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby RoppFamilyFarm » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:23 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:We show cattle, and play at a few jackpot shows. If you want to be serious, you need to pull her in and feed her like a show heifer. I can tell you with our cattle, they are on pasture at night and grain fed during the day. Most of our girls go on to make great cows for their second career after showing, and if not they are shipped. The biggest thing to remember is what is most important; winning or the future of the heifer as a cow? Overfeed her and she will likely have problems with milk production (linked to fat deposits in the udder), so you need to find the balance of weight, winning, and her future. I am sure we have left many wins on the table because we were not fat enough to compete, but I also know that my girls will go home and make cows.
Hope that helps!

Thanks. This is exactly along the lines of what I am thinking. I want to find a happy medium between showing, and a productive career afterwards. Thanks again for the input!
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:16 am

I don't like this excessive grooming either... If you want to display how well you can groom an animal.. get a poodle. I remember this bull I saw here a while back.. it was black, and his name was "Monopoly"... he was so overdone in his picture you couldn't see anything about the bull... not a muscle showed because it was all fluff.

I think you should be given a hose, curry comb, a bristle brush, and a rag.. Anything found in "her" side of the washroom is off limits. I personally have never shown any of my animals.. I'd love to, but I don't think I'd get anywhere with it and lose too much valuable time on the farm doing other things :O I'd be more interested in a dressage competition with cows... I wouldn't get anywhere there either but it would be a whole lot more fun.

Here's one of my 1/2 SH 1/2 Herf cows that was a good worker, but wouldn't get far in a show

And a heifer I sold that could have been something all dolled up
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:50 am

Pretty Heifer Nes! But I can't see through all the "fluff"! :D
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:14 pm

That's why I was saying she'd be good to get dolled up. I bet she stayed toasty through the winter (that was taken in october).
Believe it or not, this is her full sister! Short haired and all brown (and has never thrown a calf with white either)
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Chi496
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chi496 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:13 pm

Yes that's a great notion. If you want to show slick go to ABC (American Breed Cross). The show industry is built upon condition and fitting. Right or wrong that's the side of the industry. My brother my niece, my daughter and myself are at a show or two on a weekly basis throughout the jackpot season. I have yet to see a "pasture" condition calf be in the top 5 in many many years. The advice I gave was to help a family succeed in the show ring with the breed they have. For those of you who that do not agree with what happens with the show ring segment of the beef industry stay off the show board. Sorry for stumping but if you don't understand what we do please don't offer advice or examples of what you think we should be exhibiting or marketing.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”