Man among boys clone

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
OhioFarmer87
Cowhand
Cowhand

Man among boys clone

Postby OhioFarmer87 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:26 pm

Has anyone used the mab clone? How has it worked out? I'm thinkin about using him instead of the original mab because it seems a little more available and cheaper. Any info is helpful! Thanks
0 x

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Man among boys clone

Postby VCC » Thu May 01, 2014 10:56 am

They were just introduced this year (2013 models) so there are no calves out of either of the clones, they should breed just like the original or darn close to it. As long as the semen is good you should be fine using the clones.
0 x

Angus106
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Angus106 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:45 am

I bred one cow to a clone, but she isn't due til February. I couldn't get the original it was backordered.
0 x

shortybreeder
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby shortybreeder » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:54 pm

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a clone, by definition, just an exact genetic copy of an original? When you use the semen from a bull, you are taking some of his genetics and mixing it with the cow's genetics to create a calf. If a clone is a perfect genetic replica, then the genetics you get from a clone are the exact same genetics you would get from an original... In that case, why would anyone go with the original if it costs twice as much as a clone? For example, there is an auction where Monopoly 4 semen is selling for $20/unit and original Monopoly is $150/unit; and MAB original is $50 while the clone is $25... Anyone concerned about their bottom-line should realize the benefits of using clones over originals... :2cents:
0 x

Chahamutsi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Chahamutsi » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:06 am

Want to talk about topics like this one a lot.
0 x

R V
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby R V » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:56 pm

shortybreeder wrote:correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a clone, by definition, just an exact genetic copy of an original? When you use the semen from a bull, you are taking some of his genetics and mixing it with the cow's genetics to create a calf. If a clone is a perfect genetic replica, then the genetics you get from a clone are the exact same genetics you would get from an original... In that case, why would anyone go with the original if it costs twice as much as a clone? For example, there is an auction where Monopoly 4 semen is selling for $20/unit and original Monopoly is $150/unit; and MAB original is $50 while the clone is $25... Anyone concerned about their bottom-line should realize the benefits of using clones over originals... :2cents:

It's close, but I believe the mitochondrial DNA is different. If I remember correctly, the mitochondrial DNA comes with the egg that the clone's DNA is placed in and then this combo is incubated. I suppose if you used the bull's mother for the eggs it would be the same, but if the bull is valuable enough to clone, I doubt that will happen.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:57 pm

I think you may be right about the mitochondrial DNA, but it becomes a moot point since in the offspring it will come from their mother again anyhow.

Edit: I s'pose you could use any of the bull's maternal sisters for the eggs too if you were concerned about it
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:59 am

If you buy a couple straws of the original, then get a DNA test done on the offspring of the clone, they probably can't tell the difference ;)
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

R V
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby R V » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:41 pm

Nesikep wrote:I think you may be right about the mitochondrial DNA, but it becomes a moot point since in the offspring it will come from their mother again anyhow.

Edit: I s'pose you could use any of the bull's maternal sisters for the eggs too if you were concerned about it

That's a very good thought, but I suspect there will still be minor variation from the original. I am not a scientist to verify that... just a thought.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”