Less Then A Month

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Less Then A Month

Postby I luv herfrds » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:10 pm

Got daughters heifer in from being out with the bull. Got the halter on her this Sunday. Was not a fun experience going in circles to get the halter on, but got it on.
Daughter is now working with her twice a day along with her steer. She does understand that if she cannot control this heifer by the 11th of August she is not going to take the heifer to the show.
She has agreed that it is a safety issue more then anything else.

Got my fingers crossed the heifer will behave and come along well but will not push it.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Re: Less Then A Month

Postby branguscowgirl » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:33 am

Did you halter break her as a calf?
I get mine in at a few weeks old, then you can turn them out again. Surprisingly they have a good memory of previous training. (Even if they are not broke real well.) It seems that the little calves never follow me very well, but they will follow with mom. So even when I get them in a year later, their better to handle.
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:40 am

We got her from H'76 and she went out with the bull right away. She is a yearling.
Stands and lets daughter brush her no problem. Got out yesterday and lost the halter and daughter almost stepped a a rattle snake trying to get her back in.
She is back in the corral and have a back up halter.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:04 am

I would tie her with her head up for an hour or 2 then work with her, if she acts up tie her with her head up for a while and try it again. I would keep her in a pen and not let her get out where she can get away until she is acting right.
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:42 am

yes tie her up for an hour or 2 then have dd lead her to water and feed her.
0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:46 pm

We got her from H'76 and she went out with the bull right away. She is a yearling.

I do not envy you starting a yearling. In that case, I would leave her tied up all night on a bed of straw. Long enough to lay down, with another cow in a pen next to her. Let her exercise during the day. A couple hrs. of "high tie" each day, as the others have mentioned.
Good luck! If she is that gentle, she should do fine.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Thank you for the advice. Will do that tonight. Luckily it is cooler out today.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:33 pm

We had a shoulder harness on our donkey we'd tie the calves to..Bless that donkey's heart. He's retired now, living his life out here on the ranch. We'd always start out with weanlings though. They'd spend a week tied to the donkey, usually led really good afterwards.
We had many heifers that never made it to a show. Its never good seeing your kid drug through a show barn. We showed commercial calves so, it was always iffy specially if they had any sim/bra in them.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:47 pm

I luv herfrds wrote:Thank you for the advice. Will do that tonight. Luckily it is cooler out today.

You could even leave her tied 24/7, just long enough to lay down and lead her to water a few times per day. Luckily Herfs are known to be more docile. :) Hopefully this won't interfere with her settling with calf.
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:43 am

herefords can also be stubborn hammerheads when it comes to breaking them to lead.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:44 pm

Well BB this heifer, luckily, is not a hammerhead! She is leading nicely. Only took me 5 minutes to get the halter on today. she stepped on my little toe on my left foot. DD lead her to water this afternoon and said she lead pretty well then too.
Funny part is right after I got the halter on her she got testy because I did not give her her pellets! :lol2:
Got home tonight and lead her to water. She drank and walked right back to her post. Since I am too nervous to leave her tied overnight we are leaving her tied during the day.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:26 am

i never tied a calf over nite for any reason that i can remember.i dont remember halter breaking a calf that was hard to catch in the pasture or pen.when my buddy and his neice came for a visit we got to talking about my roughest show heifer i ever had.he was laughing saying yeah i remember dodging her mule kicks.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:46 pm

Got home from work and it was pretty hot. So I grabbed the heifer from the corral and walked her to the house. Tied her to my laundry line post, a rail road tie, and DD and I gave her her first bath!
Was not too happy at first then decided it felt pretty good. DD was scrubbing her with the bath brush. Did not wash her head. Looked pretty good. After she dried sprayed her with swat to keep the flies off.
DD lead her back to the corral, she did try to push DD around but she held on and kept her under control. Pretty proud of her! :D :D :D
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:16 am

That's great news! It sounds like she is coming along nicely!
She sure sounds a lot easier than my Brangus are! :lol:
I have never had one leading that quick or easily. I usually get drug around a bit. And the only ones that I can halter with out putting them in the alley first is the old show cows! Great job! :clap:

BB I tie them at night because it is too hot at my corrals during the day to tie there. As I said, my friend leaves hers tied 24/7 when halter breaking the larger cattle. They are tied that way at the fairs and shows. I always worry, but they do fine.
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:12 am

i think most of the calves i halter broke i did so in 3 or 4 days.leaving them tied 3 or 4hrs a day depending on what i was doing.never left them tied at nite in case something happened bad.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”