Less Then A Month

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Re: Less Then A Month

Postby I luv herfrds » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:44 am

I think she did drag DD around the first time she tried to lead her. Need to get more swat today.
Only thing the heifer does not like is if you try to reach near her mouth on the left side. She swings her head at you. So I expect some excitement when we wash her again next week and we do her head! Good thing that rail road tie is solid.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:16 pm

Got some good news last night. The heifer is 49 days bred! Going to ultra sound her again at the fair. DD was super excited.
Was a crazy day yesterday. Vet came out and AI'd both milk cows who as half sisters decided to go into standing heat 6 hours apart. If they caught; got our fingers crossed; they should calve close to DD's birthday next year.

Ran into some friend's of ours today, they are also part of our 4-H club, and they invited us out to their place to clip both the steer and heifer for the fair. Wash and dry both too. Their daughter is done showing but loves Herefords too and really adores DD. So going to be a great day on Sunday.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:30 pm

they invited us out to their place to clip both the steer and heifer for the fair. Wash and dry both too.

Sounds like a party! A fun day! :D
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:23 am

you cant beat a great day like that.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:59 am

Got them both clipped yesterday. Was a great time spending it with our friends and learning so much.
A bit scarey on the way home though. Went down the road right after a nasty hail storm and the hail was 6 to 8 inches deep on the highway! So glad we didn't slide off with DD's 4-H animals in the back!

Heifer acted up a bit, but our friends daughter knows how to handle snotty animals and taught daughter how to handle her.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:17 pm

Very impressed with the dedication to get this heifer show ready in less than a month. Sounds like things are going well and be sure to share some pictures! Quick question, did you ever consider synchronizing her to breed AI versus turning out with the bull then starting later? Reason I ask is it would have allowed you to work with her more and get some better feeding probably too. I don't know your setup or how big your herd is so maybe it's not practical. What we used to do was we'd keep all our replacement heifers in the lot by the barn, would bring all of them in around the first of the year and start getting them all used to being on the halter then just focus on the 2-4 show heifers in the spring. We'd AI the heifer group as that allowed us to keep the show heifers with a group where it was easier to detect heat then after 2 heat cycles the non-show heifers would go out with the bull and the rest of the herd so in case any of them didn't take on 2 AI services it wasn't too late for the bull to do cleanup. Plus by then you know when your show heifers are cycling and can keep an eye on them the next time to see if they come in heat and hopefully it only took 1 or 2 AI services for them to settle. Was a pretty good system, by the time the weather was nice the heifers were very calm on the halter and broke to lead fairly easily and having them away from the herd allowed us to monitor their feed ration and work on their coat of hair. Usually brought them in and tied them up under the fan in the hot afternoons and rinsed them down around sunset and that would help promote good hair growth that you'd be able to do whatever you wanted with the clippers to make them look great for show day.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:49 pm

SPH we have never had good luck with synchronizing. Have had better luck AI'ing on a natural heat. The bull we use on our heifers throws a really nice light BW calf just perfect for heifers and there is no one around here to collect the semen from him. I would rather use our proven heifer bull then have a try on an unproven bull.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:12 am

If you ever need some suggestions on light BW AI bulls I'd be willing to suggest a few Polled bulls we've used AI that have done well on heifers.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:24 pm

happy that she is breaking out well.
Now where are the pics? : )
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:06 pm

Thanks SPH!

Chippie on my camera! Will have to get them uploaded.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:56 pm

Here are the pictures!

Heifer

Steer

0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:48 am

she is a real nice looking heifer.tell your DD to work her on the halter everyday.
0 x

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:57 am

Looking good. What would you guess the steer is weighing? I like his color patter and depth of rib
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:24 pm

The scale at our friends said 925# and the heifer is 825#. Will find out for sure on Wednesday at the weigh in.

Need to get her going tomorrow to get everything together to go. Will be heading in on Wednesday morning. Hubby is taking the travel trailer in tomorrow and then the stock on Wednesday.

I look forward to Thursday. I plan to do as little as possible; except washing, blowing, clipping and getting the cattle ready. Show is Friday and sale is Sunday.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:35 am

What is the age on both? Not trying to sound critical but sounds like both could use a little more finish than the have right now.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”