Show Is Done

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Show Is Done

Postby I luv herfrds » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:36 pm

Showing went well!
Daughter did really well. Had some interesting moments.
Judge was really critical on her steer but we knew that was going to happen so no big surprise there.
Was not surprised that she won the dairy. Was really funny when she went to show her pair we got sent to the barn due to a storm coming into the area. Someone told the heads there was a tornado watch but there wasn't one. As the young man who was leading the calf to the barn one of the steers kicked her and too him for a dirt skiing lesson! That calf had 75 pounds on him!
Biggest scare happened we went to show her heifer. That was the first time she had had a show halter on. She did fine right up until we lead her by the dairy cows pen then all heck broke loose.
She started bawling and jumping around and the chin chain went into her mouth and daughter was trying to get it out, I jumped in and grabbed her neck and yelled for the barn super who jumped in too along with another parent and we got the show halter off and a rope halter on and she calmed down.
I am at the fair until Monday then I will post some pictures.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Show Is Done

Postby Nesikep » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:52 pm

I guess that ought to be a reminder to everyone to make sure you get them used to their show halters? I know some animals are pretty spook-proof, and others will jump at anything.

glad to hear it went well!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:14 pm

I am home for the moment and not happy! I knew the market judge was really critical on her steer not being finished, but the extension agent waiting til this morning to tell me her steer would NOT be allowed to go in the sale was BS!
They could have said something after the show or even yesterday, but no wait til 10:30 this morning!

Daughter started crying, which of course upset me. I called hubby to have him bring in the goose neck trailer so we could take them all home at once, but he was already in town so I made 2 trips to bring her stock home.

Told her to go ahead and finish him out and if we cannot find a private buyer we would send him to the sale ring in October. Told her she already had her next steer picked out. Get him finished and come back and kick their azz's next year! Her chin went up and her jaw firmed and the tears dried up.

Lesson learned! Go girl!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:24 pm

Sure smells like some political BS going on around there somewhere. I don't understand why he wouldn't be allowed to go in the sale... I mean finished or not, there's probably someone out there who'd like him just fine the way he is.

well, you got it right, show them up next year and take some names!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Chris H
GURU
GURU

Postby Chris H » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:00 pm

It's not unusual to have a minimum weight to sell in the sale. There should be rules in some kind of rule book.

Our county in Ohio does not have a minimum weight, but the neighboring county does.

Definitely work with a show halter at home. I'd use a rope halter to show before I threw a show halter on for the first time at a show. And if we only have inexperienced help with some of our cattle at a county show, I stick with the rope halters anyway. The people we're out to impress don't care what kind of halter is on the cow.
0 x
Welcome to the U.S.S.A.

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:42 pm

Minimum weight set was 900# Steer was 950#. I recorded what he said and we watched it tonight. Judge said the steer should have been at a weight of 1200 to 1300#. Steer had lost weight during the really cold snap we had spring..

Our vet has offered to buy the steer after he reaches that weight.

A lot of people were not happy and several of the 4-H kids came up to my daughter and gave her encouragement to do batter.

We plan to Chris.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Postby KNERSIE » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:54 am

Live and learn Cris, if you want to show, or let your kids show, make sure they are competitive. Depending on condition to start with always allow for about 3 months for a heifer and 4 months for a steer on full feed. By full feed I mean ad lib TPR.
0 x
Every calf deserves a white face.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:54 am

I was not there, and did not see what your steer looked like, but the Extension Agent may have done you a favor by not allowing him to sell. If he was that much underweight, he would stick out like a sore thumb and could cause negative talk behind your back and embarrassment for you all.
I have run the livestock office at our fair for going on 15 years. The exhibitors and parents come in talking among themselves and the stuff that I hear is something else. I can say one thing, sportsmanship is a very rare thing.
Showing steers is expensive and you are going to have to spend the money on feed and spend a lot of time working the stock if you want to be competitive.
I know that it can be rough on the pocketbook. We've been there. To finish one out for show, we were feeding about 25 to 30 lbs a day of a good quality feed depending on the steer. This is one thing that you have to spend money to make money.
The good thing is that you all can finish the steer and have a buyer for him.
Congratulations on doing well with the Dairy cow.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:14 am

I know Harley. As one person told her it is an eating contest. :lol2: She is bucking up and getting ready for next year to do better. At least she is not quitting like some kids would have. Got to remember all the learning she did with her lambs and all the crazy stuff that happened with them. :D

Chippie I posted pictures on the other thread. Looked better then last years steer.
Yeah I know what you mean, my husband was saying some negative stuff and I told him to be quiet and keep his comments out of the beef barn because I did not want our daughter to look like a sore loser.
It was the judge, I just wish it had been explained to my daughter more fully. Crap happens, just wipe and continue on.
A great guy and his family have told daughter to call them if she needs help.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:50 pm

What was the reason give that she can not sell? In a lot of county fairs, they have to get a blue ribbon, if they get a red than the judge said they are not market ready. Almost all of the animals get a blue ribbon to sell, but some smaller, more sickly animals will unenviabley get the red. You feel sorry for them, but hopefully they learn a lesson about being better prepared for a fair. And I bet she makes more money selling to your vet! Just feed him hard from now on, like Chippie said, 25 to 30 pounds a day!
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:48 pm

Judge said that with his frame he should not weigh 950 but around 1200 to 1300
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:46 pm

Our county show has a minimum and maximum weights just to walk in to the ring with a market animal. They have a number limit that will sell depending on class sizes. It's hard seeing a kid that doesn't meet the minimum or one that maxes out walk one to the trailer. In most cases that will be their only animal to show. There's arguments for both sides of the coin in these cases, but it's still hard to look at.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:51 pm

If I remember right the steer was a February, he should have been somewhere between 1200 and 1300. You should have them on full feed (2-3% of his body weight) at 6 months and keep him at that until the fair, unless he gets ahead and them you slow him down, it is way easier to hold one then to get one caught up. Plus in our area the fair is in summer and they slow down with the heat.

We feed a developer (13 to 14 % protein) up to about 700 pounds and them switch them to a finisher (12 to 12.5 % protein). It takes a few years to figure it out, when to change feed when to increase or slow one down. Does he need more fat in his diet are do I need to cut back for a week or a month. The hard part is feeding one right.

I think it is key to get one on a good feed routine, we try to feed at 6 and 6, if you are consistent with your schedule they seem to stress less and gain more.

Our fair is the same, blue ribbon animals sale, red or bellow do not, below is the the criteria they use

MARKET BEEF SCORECARD
Blue Ribbon. Market Ready: Market steers projected to have sufficient fat deposition to meet the marbling specifications of USDA Prime, Choice, or Select+ quality grades.
Red Ribbon. Not Market Ready: Market steers lacking evidence of sufficient fat deposition to produce a desirable consumer product. Steers projected to grade USDA Select- or lower.

I think if he had been above 1200+ with his frame he would have been very competetive, get this years on feed earlier and I think you should do well next year.

If you ever have questions about feeding one I would be more than happy to help as best I can.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:28 pm

I agree with Fire Sweep Ranch. I think that she will get a better price from your veterinarian than if she made the sale.
The steer not being market ready is a valid reason for it not to make the sale.
It's tough on parents' pocketbooks to raise a market animal. I spoke with a parent who's son has a steer for our Fair (next month). I asked him how much a steer cost now and how much was it costing to feed it out. I admit, I was curious because it had been awhile since our children showed there.
A good basic competitive steer cost him $3K and the feed bill was running $94.50 a week. A good quality show feed costs $22.50 per 50 lbs here. Yikes!
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:37 pm

i really feel for your daughter showing cattle can be rough and hurtful when you have to listen to a judge being critical of a calf.the truth is somne shows are not what you know and what you do in the show ring its who you know.tell your DD to never give up on showing and to always have fun showing cattle.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”