Show Is Done

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Show Is Done

Postby VCC » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:22 am

My sons started with, hogs, then went to commercial calves picked out of a pen of 50 or so, after a few years of that they bought calves that had a little more show to them. Over time we learned to select calves better, feed better and they got better at showing, they went from making the sale (not very many don't) to winning their classes, to winning their division, it took time.

Biggest thing was learning what they could do better the next year and what not to do as well. By the end the boy who could care less about showmanship, won senior champion 2 years running and won 4H champion market beef those same 2 years. He did not even make the cut for showmanship his first 4 years, and maybe was as high as third or fourth in his class with his calves.

We went from this:
Then this
To this

The boy on the left with my son in the last picture, they played sports together, grew up together, showed together. The friends I have today were the kids I met in 4H and FFA, the friends my son has today were the kids he met in 4H and sports, I think that is what it is really about.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:42 pm

Vic as many blows as life has tossed at her she has been steel since she was 3! She loves our Herefords and has her own little herd. She has a really good eye for picking both steers and heifers I turned her loose on picking last year. Did better then her Dad!

Between everyone here plus her fellow 4-H members she is going a head. Cannot ask for more. Would deeply disappointment me if she quit.

VCC she started with rabbits, went to lambs and now Dairy and Beef. She is not concerned about winning belt buckles or ribbons. Having fun and learning. Yes she does need to be more competative when feeding. I only help when she needs it but mainly I just stand back and bite my tongue!
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:25 am

I don't know about your club but ours had the kids do presentations, if your club does this you could ask your daughter if she would like do one on the nutritional needs of cattle, ADG, conversion rate, or how to calculate your feed mixes nutritional value. It will help her understand feed, feeding and is always a good thing for the other kids to learn.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:51 am

She has done her presentation's on breeds of dairy and beef cattle. Did one on making cheese. Feeding rabbits. And several others I cannot remember but I will pass that on to her.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

Chris H
GURU
GURU

Postby Chris H » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:51 pm

I luv herfrds wrote:Grabbed daughter this morning and sat her down and had her read everything everyone has posted. She went through the links and I headed for work. She was pretty excited when I got home telling me everything she learned on here! :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:

Yes SPH it is a learning experience, if it had been explained better she would have not been as upset. I know I would have not been as upset.

You've got a daughter to be proud of! I really liked to see that response. I believe she WILL do a lot better next year with her show calves.
0 x
Welcome to the U.S.S.A.

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:03 am

Well all my nagging did not pay off but having her listen and read what everyone on here had to say did!
She is feeding her steer 25# of feed a day now.

Have a cold rain falling so got her to put her stock in the barn.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:57 am

your dd has to learn to feed cattle like they should be fed.and it sounds like she has realized that.read my post in the feedyard.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:52 am

Good deal I luv herefrds.
Been there, done that. Funny how parents don't know anything, yet someone else can say the same thing and lo and behold, it is the best thing a kid ever learned.
Please share the pics when he is finished.
And I wanted to add, this year's show has taught your daughter life skills that she would not have learned anywhere else. How to accept disappointment and how to make it better. : )
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:02 am

Thanks Chippie.

Will do that. He will not be finished until around the end of October. Did find out he was gaining 25# per 10 days on feed.

Already told hubby the steer will be put in the horse end of our barn along with the dairy cows. This should be fun!!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

Return to “Show Board”