Show Is Done

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Re: Show Is Done

Postby I luv herfrds » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:29 pm

VCC he is a mid March calf.
Here it is blue and red sell and white does not.

Was talking with the barn super and he said to get this feed sold by this one guy. We tried it before and our steers did not like it.
Did a special mix for my milk cow and the steers loved it. So going to do this mix again and feed her steer. It was barley; we raised it; corn, oats and dry molasses.
Now I keep getting told to use beet pulp. Can anyone explain why we should feed this; any specific time period or anything else about it?
We have a grinder so we can grind it ourselves and add anything we want to it. We can also set the grind size too.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:54 am

Being critical here, never seen a modern Hereford steer finish under 1000 lbs. It would have to be very small frame. Only breed that could even try and do that at our 4-H show was the Galloways, but they never place decently, because of it.

Best to get someone out with an honest opinion to judge the animal early on. Avoids a lot of the snickering and opinions when you go to the show, and maybe some of the heartbreak.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:27 am

When you grind your own feed, do you have a protein analysis of it? Do you add mineral, vitamins and extra fat?
Beet pulp is used in many feeds, both horse and cattle. We feed our dairy cow dry beet pulp with her dairy ration. In the winter, I feed our horses warm wet beet pulp to help keep them hydrated (sometimes horses will not drink enough in cold weather and colic). Beet pulp can be used as a roughage replacement when finishing show cattle. It is also digested differently than grass or hay.

http://www.progressivecattle.com/focus-topics/nutrition/5276-feeding-sugar-beet-byproducts-to-cattle
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:58 am

The beet pulp is roughage that helps with digesting the feed, it will also help expand the gut and near the end of feeding one can be used as a filler if holding a slowing one down, can aid in getting the flank to drop as well.

With your feed you may want to add a loose mineral to the feed as well as some stabilized rice bran and Calf-manna for added nutrition. You can top dress with it. The Rice bran will help with both the internal and external fat on the calf, we add a pound a day to the feed early and pump it up near the end if they need more cover, and it definitely helps put a nice smooth finish on a calf as well as helps give them healthy looking hair. (Keeps them looking fresh) The Calf manna adds protein and other mineral to their diet.

Adding the supplements helps the animal reach it potential, and the goal is to present the animal at its full potential.

This is a home raised calf, out a first calf heifer, born on 2/22/2011 shown 7/2/12 a cross bred so a little more grow in him but he finished out at 1350. He was started on feed at 6 months, and on full feed the rest of the time.

0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:22 am

No we do not have the protein analysised because we sell the barley we know what the protein is for that. Whether it goes malt or feed. Low protein malt; high protein feed.
The stock has free choice mineral and trace mineral salt block. There is an dry fat we can mix in but it can get pretty messy.

Thanks VCC. That answered my questions.
Nice steer there!!!
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:01 am

Right or wrong, calves intended for a show need to be fed different the calves you are feeding out to eat, you have a target date, and you feed, change feed and manage your feed so the animal is at its best on that date.

I like to add the stabilized rice bran for fat because it is easy to feed, palatable, and does more than just add fat. It is not cheap but it is less expensive than a lot of the show supplements on the market. The difference from when we did not feed it to when we did were obvious, claves looked better, had better cover over the ribs and gained better.

It will cost about 50 cents a day at first and $1 a day for the last 3 months, but it should help you get a higher placing in your class as well as into the sale ring.
0 x

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Postby KNERSIE » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:04 pm

You'll get the same sort of results with a barley based ration, you just need to start sooner. E-mail me and I'll help you get to a ration with mostly what you have on hand.
0 x
Every calf deserves a white face.

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:10 pm

Ace was 14 months and 1360lbs at weigh in and his gain was 3.2 lbs/day. I was told that with my breed I need to start them at 6 months old max to get that smooth fleshy finish on them ,so they do not feel course when the judge feels around on them . It cost me 7 thousand in 4H ration for the show steer and carcass steer and they were started at 8 months old . The last month Ace was eating 40 lbs of 4H finisher a day , he needed probably another 20 days on feed if we wanted him pig fat . The carcass steer was almost over finished so yes I now get that you need to feed completely different , and it is hard to do if you do not have the extra space and need them to keep each other company .Doubtful we are doing a show steer this year , no place to keep him and my pocket book is still hurting from the costs of last years .

Finishing a show steer so it is competitive is very costly if you have to buy your feed .

LIH there were a few steers in the group that weighed under 900lbs and had a ADG of less than a pound lb a day , they let them sell still but the parents on all of them were the buyers .
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:28 pm

Ok. Still learning. Thank you for all the info! :tiphat: :tiphat:

VCC going to see if we can get rice bran from the mill we get feed from.
We have 3 different grain bins going to see if DD and I can take one over just for her steers feed.

Thanks Harley!

Looks like 405; new steer; will be getting started in October after we wean.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:03 am

I luv herfrds wrote:VCC he is a mid March calf.
Here it is blue and red sell and white does not.

Was talking with the barn super and he said to get this feed sold by this one guy. We tried it before and our steers did not like it.
Did a special mix for my milk cow and the steers loved it. So going to do this mix again and feed her steer. It was barley; we raised it; corn, oats and dry molasses.
Now I keep getting told to use beet pulp. Can anyone explain why we should feed this; any specific time period or anything else about it?
We have a grinder so we can grind it ourselves and add anything we want to it. We can also set the grind size too.

Beat Pulp just adds bulk, and for some palatability. If you are having problems getting your steers to market weight, beat pulp will not help. We feed it to expand the gut, and help fill a heifer that might be getting too fat but is also still hungry.
It might just be that you are not feeding enough. Like it has been said before, you really have to push the feed to steers. Give them as much as they will eat, with leaving just a little dust before the next feeding. That usually works out to be about 3% of their body weight.... from our experience.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:51 am

Also, protein builds muscle. You didn't say what the protein was in your feed, but the protein in most show feed is between 12% to 15%. I don't know if you have Purina dealers in your area. Purina makes supplements that you can add to your feed to help you get optimum results. I'm not trying to sell Purina, there are other companies who have similar products. I only mention Purina because it is sold pretty much nationwide.

http://purinamills.com/show-animal-food/products/?speciCat=Cattle

two articles from Cattle Today about feeding show steers

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2004/September/CT351.shtml

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2004/September/CT353.shtml
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Sorry to hear about your experiences. I would say they probably did you a favor by not allowing the steer in the sale. From the picture you showed us and the weight he is at he is not finished yet and because of that you may not have got a very good price. Just feed him out and sell him when he gets over 1200 and chalk it up as a learning experience for next year. They may have handled your situation poorly and can't blame you for being frustrated with that, probably would have been easier to swallow had they explained it to you sooner. That's one of the reasons they call it a "project." Sometimes there is going to be a little trial and error involved at first and you learn from your mistakes and use that knowledge for next year's project such as the incident with the heifer and the show halter. We were taught to lead them around home with a show halter when we practiced leading and using the show stick so they would not be scared of them by the time they went to the fair.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Grabbed daughter this morning and sat her down and had her read everything everyone has posted. She went through the links and I headed for work. She was pretty excited when I got home telling me everything she learned on here! :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:

Yes SPH it is a learning experience, if it had been explained better she would have not been as upset. I know I would have not been as upset.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:32 am

I luv herfrds wrote:Grabbed daughter this morning and sat her down and had her read everything everyone has posted. She went through the links and I headed for work. She was pretty excited when I got home telling me everything she learned on here! :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:

Yes SPH it is a learning experience, if it had been explained better she would have not been as upset. I know I would have not been as upset.

Nobody ever learns to like seeing their children be hurt by life. However as we all know steel is made in the crucible with fire and pressure and the addition of other substances that make it harder and stronger. A process not unlike growing up!. These things that hurt her today will make her stronger tomorrow. All you can really do is help her see that and not try to hard to make life easier for her.

I wish you both a much better result on the next one, and I do commend you for having her show he own steers and not go out and pay a fortune for a high powered club calf when that is not what you raise. :tiphat:
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:47 am

3waycross wrote:
I luv herfrds wrote:Grabbed daughter this morning and sat her down and had her read everything everyone has posted. She went through the links and I headed for work. She was pretty excited when I got home telling me everything she learned on here! :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:

Nobody ever learns to like seeing their children be hurt by life. However as we all know steel is made in the crucible with fire and pressure and the addition of other substances that make it harder and stronger. A process not unlike growing up!. These things that hurt her today will make her stronger tomorrow. All you can really do is help her see that and not try to hard to make life easier for her.

I wish you both a much better result on the next one, and I do commend you for having her show he own steers and not go out and pay a fortune for a high powered club calf when that is not what you raise. :tiphat:

I couldn't agree more! I think some of these kids today quit on showing because mom and dad go out and buy them an expensive club calf from the start and they get used to winning all the time and never learn anything. Then the moment they don't win something they throw a fit about it and quit because they were essentially "taught" that they were always going to win. It's that same type of issue I have with some of the kids sports these days that don't keep scores. It's understandable at a very early age when the kids don't know any better and they are trying to learn how to play the game but once they get to an age they know the difference between winning and losing and have a good understanding of the game it's time to keep scores and there is always a winner and a loser in the game. I'm a big believer you learn more when you are humbled by losing than you do when you win. It should motivate you to improve and teaches you something in the process so that when you do win you should feel more satisfaction knowing that you earned it and it wasn't just handed to you.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”