Amaferm

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Amaferm

Postby ricebeltrancher » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Has anyone ever used Amaferm in a show ration? Curious to see if it makes a difference at all. I remember watching the RFD-TV special on it a few years ago and was impressed.
0 x
“Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
― Ronald Reagan

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Amaferm

Postby TexasBred » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:01 pm

ricebeltrancher wrote:Has anyone ever used Amaferm in a show ration? Curious to see if it makes a difference at all. I remember watching the RFD-TV special on it a few years ago and was impressed.

I've used it in several feeds I've formulated for folks from show feeds to dairy rations. Pretty much does exactly as advertised. One of the few additives I have confidence in and about the same price as Bovatec and Rumensin but not an antibiotic. Two grams per head per day = $.03 per day.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ricebeltrancher » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Well, if you like it, that's good enough for me. Did you just use the straight Amaferm? As opposed to the Vitaferm, etc.. We like to get the most bang for our buck, and the straight Amaferm seems to be the best value. ...We might even play around with it and use it for our Jerseys and weaned calves, so a 50# bag shouldn't sit for too terribly long.
0 x
“Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
― Ronald Reagan

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:06 am

ricebeltrancher wrote:Well, if you like it, that's good enough for me. Did you just use the straight Amaferm? As opposed to the Vitaferm, etc.. We like to get the most bang for our buck, and the straight Amaferm seems to be the best value. ...We might even play around with it and use it for our Jerseys and weaned calves, so a 50# bag shouldn't sit for too terribly long.

Amaferm is a stand alone product manufactured by Vitaferm (Biozyme). There are other "Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extracts" out there but nothing but poor attempts to copy Amaferm. Most feed mills should keep it in stock at somewhere around $9-10 a lb. retail...but a pound goes a long way. ;-) Another really good products to use on donors when you get to that point is the Vitaferm Concept Aid 8/S Mineral. Results will amaze you.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ricebeltrancher » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am

Thank you! I have a 50# bag coming in the mail, so we'll see how it goes. Watching the show on RFD-TV, I thought that the science made a lot of sense.

We have several that we are wanting to flush in the next couple of years, so I will definitely look into the mineral!
0 x
― Ronald Reagan

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:59 pm

TexasBred wrote:
ricebeltrancher wrote:Well, if you like it, that's good enough for me. Did you just use the straight Amaferm? As opposed to the Vitaferm, etc.. We like to get the most bang for our buck, and the straight Amaferm seems to be the best value. ...We might even play around with it and use it for our Jerseys and weaned calves, so a 50# bag shouldn't sit for too terribly long.

Amaferm is a stand alone product manufactured by Vitaferm (Biozyme). There are other "Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extracts" out there but nothing but poor attempts to copy Amaferm. Most feed mills should keep it in stock at somewhere around $9-10 a lb. retail...but a pound goes a long way. ;-) Another really good products to use on donors when you get to that point is the Vitaferm Concept Aid 8/S Mineral. Results will amaze you.

I TOTALLY agree! I just got 10 bags of the Concept Aide yesterday for the winter. Our embryo conceptions improved drastically, along with our AI conceptions when we switched last fall.
We also use the Sure Champ in our show feed. Good product, but it will be cheaper if you can find a dealer around you! Get on the web site and ask.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ricebeltrancher » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:52 pm

Good to know. :) Do you just leave it out free choice, like any other loose mineral? I looked up dealers online, and we have a few within an hour of us, which really isn't that far.
0 x
― Ronald Reagan

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:54 am

I also looked at their website. Do you think that their licks would be ok? (I know that loose minerals are best, but my cattle just do not consume them.)
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:50 pm

branguscowgirl wrote:I also looked at their website. Do you think that their licks would be ok? (I know that loose minerals are best, but my cattle just do not consume them.)

Add a bit of flavor to it. Something like dried molasses, cottonseed meal or DDG. Might help with consumption.
0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:50 pm

TexasBred wrote:
branguscowgirl wrote:I also looked at their website. Do you think that their licks would be ok? (I know that loose minerals are best, but my cattle just do not consume them.)

Add a bit of flavor to it. Something like dried molasses, cottonseed meal or DDG. Might help with consumption.

Ok thanks, I will try that. Though I am afraid they will eat the whole tub at once with something like molasses in it. :D Will see......
TB is there a chance that with my lush pastures, they just don't feel the need for it?
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ricebeltrancher » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:51 pm

What is the phosphorus level? We feed a 7.5% year-round...would rather have them eat too much than not enough. Even with that, there are certain times of the year where they don't really eat a whole lot.
0 x
― Ronald Reagan

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:27 pm

branguscowgirl wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

Ok thanks, I will try that. Though I am afraid they will eat the whole tub at once with something like molasses in it. :D Will see......
TB is there a chance that with my lush pastures, they just don't feel the need for it?

Don't add a lot. If you put out one bag of mineral add about 5 lbs. of the dried molasses into the mix and watch for a few days. Mine actually seem to eat more mineral when the grass is lush. I'm with you Ricebelt....7% phos. should be more than adequate.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:32 am

Great info TB...I have a question...is your background in cattle nutrition?

Tim
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:17 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:Great info TB...I have a question...is your background in cattle nutrition?

Tim

Mostly i furnish nutrition to worthless dogs and cats. :lol2: but yes cattle primarily.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:45 pm

I had never heard of it and am interested in it.
May I ask where did you buy it from?
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Return to “Show Board”