American Royal

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

American Royal

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:25 pm

Anyone else at the American Royal show this week? Our kids each brought one heifer to show, and we hope to have fun. It sure is cold up here! We were in our hotel room when the last World Series game was played, and heard the fireworks at the end of the game. We could not get dinner that night because most places had a wait of over an hour to get food, the entire city was impacted!
Anyway, here are a few photos I shot with my iPad;

The two younger kids posing with the heifers.

The oldest daughter putting some final touches on the clip job. She does a fantastic job clipping.

We show Saturday night, and there is lots of really good cattle here. Hopefully we do well!
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: American Royal

Postby Nesikep » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:27 pm

I hope so for you too!, but most importantly, that you have fun :)
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:30 pm

Well, the last show of the year for us is over. We had a grand time, our cattle looked real good, and the kids enjoyed themselves.
The one thing I learned is that our cattle are SMALL compared to the cattle at this level! Our good percentage heifer that has been winning all year, was reserve champ percentage in the junior show at State Fair, placed last in her class ONLY because she was the smallest. It did not help that she was in heat and pushing our son all over the arena! Oh, and the alcohol really flows at places like this! :cowboy: :o
But here are some pics...
This is an April purebred, Lilly. She placed second in her class, but was still outweighed and not as fat as the other heifers in the class! She is three generations deep on our farm, and all AI sires. Her sire is LMF Moving Forward, her MGS is Mr. Amigo. She wills stay in our herd for awhile!

This is the September half blood, Taylor. She is out of a Pioneer angus first calf heifer and sired by Beef Maker (simm bull). I pictured her on her last year when she was born at 45 pounds!

And this is an embryo we bought and raised. She is sired by Dream On out of an ETR Antoinette cow, and is a January heifer. She placed second also, not fat enough.

It was great seeing some of my juniors out there competing and winning at this level of competition. One had the Reserve Champion Purebred Female and another had a champion in her age division. I am so proud of my Missouri kids! (for those that do not know, I am the junior adviser for the Missouri Simmental group).
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Great Cattle! I love watching the shows and seeing the kids tug those beauties around. Wish I could attend more events than I do.
0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:29 am

They all look great! It is a shame that they want those young heifers to be so fat to win.
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

Angus106
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Angus106 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:10 am

Great job! My kids get discouraged at large shows also. I think the size of many of those calves has a lot to do with their actual birthdates, not the ones they are listed as. :lol: :lol: :roll:
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:21 am

I haven't been to the American in many years. I used to really enjoy all the activities taking place out at Kemper during the event. I'm not even sure what venue its held at these days. Just a wild guess, Congratulations on your breeding program.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Return to “Show Board”