Halter Breaking

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Re: Halter Breaking

Postby I luv herfrds » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:08 pm

BB had a steer in the show this year that the kid could not handle. The helpers had to step in and help hold that steer. At one point the steer started shoving the kid into the panels around the ring and moving these panels!
They got the showmanship done and he only lasted 5 minutes in the ring for market before they kicked them out before someone got hurt. The Dad could handle the steer but not the kid who is much bigger then my daughter.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:33 pm

i started halter breaking my own calves when i was 7 or 8.because my dad would help me catch them the 1st time.then it was up to me to catch them.nesi i started learning how to read cattle when i was 7.i always knew when that heifer was gonna load up and kick and i always dodged her.yes ive felt her feet whiz by my head a few times.
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:00 am

I learned trick this from an old man and now that I am an old man I will share. It worked for my kids and others. Our county agent started teaching it at his 4-H beef camp. I have a 20 foot gooseneck trailer with a full escape door in the front. I tie the haltered calf in the front of the trailer with just enough room to get up and lay down. Twice a day (3 times in hot weather) I ease the calf to the back of the trailer to get water. While the calf is drinking, I can get in and clean up behind it and put out new feed. Then the calf goes back to the front of the trailer and is tied up again. When the calf goes back to get a drink without trying to break away and can be held easily, it is time to come off trailer and go to a pen. Normally takes 3 or 4 days, but I have had 2 hammerheads that took 10 days to give up and decide that life as a show heifer is a pretty good life. The beauty of this is I don't get jerked around too bad (I have a bad back) and it works.
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:17 pm

BC i did the halter breaking the old way thats why my body is wore out and beat up now.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:56 pm

I've found as long as I can prevent them from getting their body in line with the rope, I can handle a pretty decent sized animal.. they don't have all that much strength to move their neck sideways, but if they get the rope between their legs you don't have much hope. I've gotten plenty of rope burns until I learned exactly when hope is lost. I often tie a couple figure8 knots in the rope to hold on to (they're pretty easy to undo even after they've been tightened)

I have a 'control' halter that has a chin chain, when you hook to the end of the chain, it'll hurt when they pull, and it's quite effective for the stubborn ones. Hamilton Halter makes them.. For a big weaned calf to long yearling (800-1100 lb) you'll probably need the "cow sized" one, and a "bull sized" for anything older..
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Show Board”