2015 4-H Steer

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Re: 2015 4-H Steer

Postby VCC » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:19 pm

If you can get a hold of some Melatonin from the local drug store, I would start giving him about 30 -3mg tablet every day, starting 3 or 4 days before the time she shows him. It will not hurt him but might just take the edge off. It is not an illegal drug, it is used heavily to grow hair on the show cattle all the time, but it does take the edge off of them as well.
If we have one that is a little jumpy or spooky we feed it to them a few days before we go to the show until we get them home.
You can try it in pill form or grind them pills up and top dress the feed with it.
Wally world usually has the pills pretty cheap (It is a natural sleep aid for people)
0 x

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Postby KNERSIE » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:57 pm

I luv herfrds wrote:Everything was going great with the steer right up to the point he got a wild hair, ran around daughter with the lead rope twisted her and flipped her! She landed on her right shoulder with both feet up in the air. Felt like she had dislocated her shoulder. I was not close enough to grab the rope. When I ran in to get splinting supplies she popped her shoulder back in place. X-ray showed it was back in place. Pretty sore but doing alright.

She had just got done washing him. Later that afternoon we went up and she caught him and tied him to a railroad tie and went to brushing him and rubbing him with the show stick.

Told her to start doing as you said VCC to tie him for a half hour every day.

Kris, the important part is to tie him up everyday for so long that he accepts he can't get away from the halter, don't fight them until you've broken their fighting spirit, remember they are 4x4 you're not!
0 x
Every calf deserves a white face.

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:33 pm

Agree with the tying up. "A half hour" is not long enough. It is better to tie more than one in the same area, so they do not panic that the can not see another cow. I will put some straw down and tie them loose enough to lay down and leave them for many hours. They have to do it at the shows, so best to start it at home.
A half hour is long enough for high tying. (With their heads tied high.) But when it comes to developing discipline and patience, it takes leaving them for hours tied. I would not even attempt to lead one that will not stand very well tied first. Then lead them to feed or water.
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:55 pm

^ ditto
All of our childrens beef projects were kept tied low enough so that the animal could either stand or lay down. They were lead to water and tied while the kid put the feed in the tie spot. then lead back to feed -- 2 x daily.

At our fair, the steers in tie stalls for 10 days.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:09 pm

We keep calves tied, and walk to water and feed to halter break (and only on the hard headed ones), once their halter broke we only tie/stall them all day the last 3 months before the fair (this is to get hair on them) They are kicked out in a big pen to move and relax at night. Calves will be waiting at the gate once it gets warm, they would rather be tied in a stall where it is cool and no flies then out in the pen all day.
We do tie with the head up daily, what I mean by tied up, it is tied with the head above the shoulder, if you tie them this way for a half hour to start, this gets some of the snot out of them, so you do not have too. Then move them to the wash rack, another 15-30 minutes with head up, then blow them out, another 30 to 60 minutes with the head up, That’s close to 2 hours with the head tied up. We do rinse and work them daily, seems to really tame then down, the more time you spend with them the easier they get to work with.
0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:37 pm

Really nice set-up VCC! Also very nice that you posted the pictures to give people a visual of what goes on.

I show my Brangus slick. (Everyone does here, except for the winter bull sales.) So I love by- passing the rinsing and the blowing. Just body shave, bath, and go!
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:38 pm

The lineup of young calves is not mine, that photo was just a good picture for an example. I had no problem with the rinsing and blowing (since the kids had to do it and not me) It kind of went like the laundry, I did it once and that all it took for me to never have to do it again, I did get them a double blower after a few years, what a difference it made.
I do think the rinsing, blowing and combing is beneficial for both the kid and the animal as it helps in building a bond between them. The more time they spend with the animal the better they tend to work together in the ring. With one or 2 head it makes since, if you have a show string of any size: clip, wash, and go sounds great.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:26 am

VCC and Harley I talked with my daughter and we decided to pass on the show this weekend. She is tying him up every single day and brushing him. We do not have a set up in which to tie him up during the day out of the weather but are working on that. Been tying him to a railroad tie in the corral.
She wants to go to one in June that has Kirk Stierwalt there as a speaker and a judge for the jackpot.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:50 pm

Got him tied up today. we were brushing him and I started to look closely and discovered he has warts! Several large ones on the base of one ear and a couple on his face. :bang: :bang: :bang:

So I did a search on here and grabbed the pliers and with fingers crossed I crushed them and pulled them off. None of us were happy! Just hoping I did right. Pretty nervous since this is the first case of warts we have had to deal with.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:47 am

On the warts, better now than later, by show time he will be fine. Did you put them in his feed, old wives tail is he will not get any more if you put the ones you removed into his feed? ;-)

As far as not showing on the weekend, was the right call, she needs to be comfortable with him or her fear/uneasiness will transfer to him.

The more she can rinse and blow him out the faster he will tame down.

We built our wash rack out of 2 yards of #2 road base and 1 sack of concrete. I built a 10 * 8 form filled with the road base (rock sand and gravel), racked in the concrete, leveled, wet down and compacted. We have been using it for 7 years now. I sloped the pad to drain and then use trailer mats to keeps them from slipping or wearing holes in the pad. All you need is a solid area in front of them to tie to and rails on the side to keep them from stepping off of it.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:23 pm

No I didn't put them in his feed. I was too busy scraping them off hubby's good pliers before he discovered what I had done! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Steer does not like me now. Go figure!

Looking at getting something put up near the water hydrant and then have a drying area near the power source. Have some oil field pipe that will work and just need some quickcrete and she will be starting off pretty well.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Wed May 06, 2015 12:04 am

Took these pictures about 45 minutes to an hour before he flipped her. His first bath.

0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Thu May 07, 2015 10:35 am

He is looking good, he has plenty of body and looks to be well balanced. I would really concentrate on working that hair up and forward, Herefords generally have tough hair to train, but once it is trained they look really good. He looks like he is on track with feed, growing but maintaining his condition at the same time.
With combing out his rear, you want to start from the very back and comb out then up, this will make him appear wider from the rear than he is. Hopefully you have a rice root brush that she can wear out on him, rinse comb then brush until dry, it will train the hair after a little time.
Your daughter and you are doing a great job with him.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Fri May 08, 2015 10:22 am

She used her blower on him that day too and she started at the rear and worked forward. His hair was laying forward nicely. Got him moved down to the barn with the 2 milk cows. Have power and can put up a fan for him in the barn for the hot days. Done calving so we could get him down there.
She is brushing him every day. Just have to move her feed for him down there. A 1600+ pound bulk bag.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:27 am

Going to a clinic and a jackpot show on Sunday! It is a 3 day event. Check in first day. Clinic the second day then the jackpot show the third day.

He is calming down more and more but still going to watch him during this event.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

Return to “Show Board”