2015 4-H Steer

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Re: 2015 4-H Steer

Postby VCC » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:09 pm

He will be better for the experience, if not this show the next.
We hit them with oral probiotics prior to hauling them to help keep their guts working, feeding half their grain ration the night before with free choice hay (most the grain ends up on the floor and walls of the trailer anyway) and then go back to feeding him his full ration once you are there. It is best to keep him on his normal schedule, if you get there in the middle of the day, feed him some hay and then give him his grain ration at the normal evening feeding time.
If you ever pick-up and melatonin or calf calm this is a good time to try it, melatonin hit him with about 30 ml the night before and the calf calm about 2 hours prior to hauling.

Some tricks: when you move him around try and do it with other cattle, they seem to stay calmer when their with other calves, plan your routes around so you can avoid tight spots or areas he is more likely to be spooked. We like to wash early in the morning, muck the stall when they’re in the wash rack so they come back to a clean stall. Let them eat and lay down until it is time to get them ready for the show. Give yourself time to get them ready but not so early they have to stand for 2 hours prior to their class, this is when they will try and lie down in the ring on you. If you can avoid it try not to be first in the ring, most calves prefer to follow, makes it easier on the exhibitor if they aren’t fighting their calf to just walk.

Watch what others are doing and see what seems to be working for them, never know what tricks you may pick up on as far as grooming or showing in the ring.

Good luck
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:22 am

We are home! Daughter sure learned a lot!
Even though she was pretty much last in showmanship and market she had fun!

The biggest problem we ran into was getting him to drink the water. Daughter finally poured a bottle of water in with it and he finally drank. One gentleman told me to add molasses in before a show.
A lot of the people were very helpful.

We watched 2 different people getting their animals ready and the funniest thing we saw was one one picking up long hair off the floor and gluing it to the steers tail head then using a flat iron to make it straight!

Steer was not too happy at first then he started to settle down more. He was acting up a bit in the show ring. Just told daughter to just keep going.

My camera crapped out on me so not a lot of pictures.

Poor daughter picked up some sort of bug and is really sick this morning.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Postby KNERSIE » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:37 pm

I luv herfrds wrote:We are home! Daughter sure learned a lot!
Even though she was pretty much last in showmanship and market she had fun!

The biggest problem we ran into was getting him to drink the water. Daughter finally poured a bottle of water in with it and he finally drank. One gentleman told me to add molasses in before a show.
A lot of the people were very helpful.

We watched 2 different people getting their animals ready and the funniest thing we saw was one one picking up long hair off the floor and gluing it to the steers tail head then using a flat iron to make it straight!

Steer was not too happy at first then he started to settle down more. He was acting up a bit in the show ring. Just told daughter to just keep going.

My camera crapped out on me so not a lot of pictures.

Poor daughter picked up some sort of bug and is really sick this morning.

The important part is to water him out of a pail or a old lick bucket at home and take the sam eone with you, in an emergency make him thirsty at home and give him water with a can of Coke added to teh water a few times before the show and when you are at the show add the Coke from the get go. I'm yet to see that not work.

To sort the free spirit out, tie him up over night taking him out to graze every morning, but back to being tied up at night, it will tame them much more than any amount of handling and practising. Don't neglect the brushing otherwise they'll tend to be kickers forever.
0 x
Every calf deserves a white face.

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:36 pm

Here are some show pics.

Brushing Sinister out

Getting use to the ring

relaxing after a long day

At the show

Wish I had gotten more pictures but since my camera crapped out on me they were all fuzzy or it would not take a picture.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Postby KNERSIE » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:55 pm

He's a pretty decent steer, but he is a long way from finished.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:12 pm

Glad to hear she had fun and learned alot, that's great!

I like the pic of them relaxing, that's sweet.

Sounds like it has been a good experience for her so far.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:55 pm

Hubby is going to pull out the scale tomorrow and we are going to get a weight on him Knersie.
Several folks told us to bump up his corn. He is on a 3way feed of oats, barley and corn. Have added a show feed to that plus a feed the guy putting on the clinic advised. Has a salt block and free mineral plus he is getting grass hay after he eats his feed. Daughter brought up the calf scale to weight his feed but I cannot find where she put it so told her to use our bathroom scale to get a weight on the feed.

Will see if the camera will work tomorrow or just wait til I get a new one next month and then compare pictures. ;-)
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Postby KNERSIE » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:41 am

Several folks were right about that!

Leave the oats out, or at least limit it to not more than 25% of the grain part in the ration, add a commercial high protein concentrate so that the mix has a total of about 14% protein. Feed really stemmy hay free choice (if you can get wheat straw it's even better) feed him all the feed he can eat in a day, ideally in three feedings, but unless you can be punctual about it it's better to feed him a days' worth at a time, by the next morning tere should just be a few crumbs left, then you know you're feeding the right amount, the trough should never be licked clean. On that he should gain at around 4.5 lbs per day.
0 x

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:04 pm

He has the frame and shape he just needs to be fattened up and get some guts to him. I would put him on stabilized rice bran start with a pound a day and work him up to 2pounds a day. We tie the calves all day in a cool area and kick out at night (keeps them out of the sun so they don't sun bleach) work the hair in the morning and evening. As much grain as he will eat and free choice hay, when he gets close to his finished weight add beet pulp, cotton seed hulls or something like that to help expand his belly and give him that deep full look.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Had one person tell me to not feed him so much but I will listen to both you Knersie and VCC.
Daughter says he is leaving a few crumbs in the feed pan. She feeds him both morning and night. Have a good stemy grass hay for him.
Will get the protein content off the feed bag and bucket.
He is looking much better.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Postby KNERSIE » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:14 am

I luv herfrds wrote:Had one person tell me to not feed him so much but I will listen to both you Knersie and VCC.
Daughter says he is leaving a few crumbs in the feed pan. She feeds him both morning and night. Have a good stemy grass hay for him.
Will get the protein content off the feed bag and bucket.
He is looking much better.

That's the whole point, you don't want good hay, the less pallatible teh better, the stemmier the better, all you need it for is the scratching of the rumen.

Feeding less than the maximum he can finish in a day will eventually get you there as well, but it will take much much longer and in the end you'll end up feeeding more bought food than you would have by feeding him to get it done.
0 x

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:21 am

You will need to increase it slowly, add a half pound to a pound a feed of feed per feeding every 4 or 5 days. If you went straight to free feed you could run into problems, if she has the time you could feed 3 times a day, 6, 12 and 6 you can get them to eat a little more this way, since they are getting less per feeding, they tend to clean it up better.
0 x

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Postby KNERSIE » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:44 am

VCC wrote:You will need to increase it slowly, add a half pound to a pound a feed of feed per feeding every 4 or 5 days. If you went straight to free feed you could run into problems, if she has the time you could feed 3 times a day, 6, 12 and 6 you can get them to eat a little more this way, since they are getting less per feeding, they tend to clean it up better.

The steer is already on that a hottish ration, there shouldn't be any problems as long as he has something to nibble on during the day.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:11 am

The show feed is 32% protein and the other is 14% protein. He is getting 1 pound of the show feed and 4 oz. of the extra feed on top of the 3 way feed.

Getting high temps here now so daughter has been told to rinse him off 2-3 times a day to help keep him cool.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:37 pm

When rinsing you want to get a chill to him, so you want to rinse for at least 15 minutes with cool (cold if you have it) and then blow him out and get him in the shade with fans if you have them. The theory is if you put him away wet, the body heat will heat the water on him and they are actually hotter when left wet then when dry. If he is stalled with a fan blowing on him you can put him with a little moisture on him the fans will cause it to evaporate and cool him some.

The rinsing helps but the combing and brushing is what will stimulate the hair to grow. I would rinse him and then take a rice root brush to him while wet, with the fan blowing on him from behind to head, and brush him forward at a 45* until he starts to dry, then blow the hair at the same angle. If he has wild spots where the hair wants to go its own way, when he is wet is the time to start getting it to go the right way. Brush everything forward, then go back to the spots that do not want to cooperate, and brush down then up, sometimes down and back then up at the 45. It takes a while to get them worked out but if you work at them you can get it trained. The old story goes “When using the rice root brush, use your right hand on the left side and brush until your arm feels like it is going to fall off, now go to right side of the animal and use your left hand until your arm feels like it is going to fall off, now start over”.

If you can get the hair to go the right direction and get it trained, it will definitely help give him a younger fresh appearance. Calves with trained hair even if they don’t have a lot of it will have a softer, youthful look to them.

Just curious, have you figured out your protein and fat percentages with your feed and additives, he should be getting about 14% protein and 4.5% fat. I really like what the Stabilized Rice Bran does for their cover, as well as the hair, you get your hands on one finished with the SRB and the finish is smooth and even over the ribs.

I think if you can get your calf finished, some belly to him, and get the hair trained he will look the part.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”