show calves

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

show calves

Postby bigbull338 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:51 am

i had a nice visit yesterday with a friend of mine thats a 1st year ag teacher.he came out to look at my reg heifers and see how meny show prospects i had.we found 2 reg heifers for sure that would work.plus 1 possable calf if she is out of a reg cow.he got to see 2 reg cows that i bought off him a few years ago.i ended up selling him 1 of his old cows back because she is late calving this year.he got lucky as she is heavy bred.so he will get a calf from her.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: show calves

Postby TexasBred » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:24 am

bigbull338 wrote:i had a nice visit yesterday with a friend of mine thats a 1st year ag teacher.he came out to look at my reg heifers and see how meny show prospects i had.we found 2 reg heifers for sure that would work.plus 1 possable calf if she is out of a reg cow.he got to see 2 reg cows that i bought off him a few years ago.i ended up selling him 1 of his old cows back because she is late calving this year.he got lucky as she is heavy bred.so he will get a calf from her.

I hope you charged him for the unborn calf.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:09 am

why would i do that.she will most likely calve before he picks her up.the only thing that kept her from going to the sale is its to wet to get a trailer in.plus the fact we noticed she was springing.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:44 pm

bigbull338 wrote:why would i do that.she will most likely calve before he picks her up.the only thing that kept her from going to the sale is its to wet to get a trailer in.plus the fact we noticed she was springing.

You said she was heavy bred and he would get the calf off her. I guess if she calves there she's yours yet the calf will nurse and be raised by his cow?? how does all this work??
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:01 pm

he gets the calf.i kinda hated selling her back to him since she is a show came producer.but i follow my rule.i know he will keep her till she dies.
0 x

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:59 pm

bigbull338 wrote:he gets the calf.i kinda hated selling her back to him since she is a show came producer.but i follow my rule.i know he will keep her till she dies.

Don't worry TB. I'm officially confused as well. This didnt make it any clearer. :oops: :help:
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:19 am

ok maybe i didnt make it clear for yall.once a cow gets a certain age and they miss calving for the year they go to the sale.this cow is 30 days late now but she is springing now.so she will have a calf.i assumed she was open and was going to cull her. i had to sell my herd bull 2wks ago.and if she wouldve came up then she wouldve been sold at the sametime.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:51 pm

artesianspringsfarm wrote:
bigbull338 wrote:he gets the calf.i kinda hated selling her back to him since she is a show came producer.but i follow my rule.i know he will keep her till she dies.

Don't worry TB. I'm officially confused as well. This didnt make it any clearer. :oops: :help:

He keeps her til she dies.....yet he's the same guy he bought her from? :shock: :shock: :shock: :???: :???: :???:
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:30 am

yes because he has sentamentle attachment to her.thats why he wanted to buy her back.
0 x

Return to “Show Board”