Do NGOs help or hinder?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
mtskylark
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby mtskylark » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:08 pm

I'm continuing my paper and nearing the end of the semester. I'm just looking for open opinions here.

How is cooperating with government and non-government organizations helping the rancher?

mtskylark
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby mtskylark » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:37 pm

Does the interference of BLM negatively impact the ranchers productivity?

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3769
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby sim.-ang.king » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Government interference always hinders productivity.

Just sayin...
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2663
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: Western KY
Contact:

Re: Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby Lucky_P » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:54 am

All I know is that almost every time i participated in a 'government' program, it was fraught with all sorts of requirements that virtually doomed the practice to failure and necessitated that I come back after the fact and re-do it, correctly, at my own expense.
Additionally, it just gave them more opportunity to insert themselves into my business... I do not, anymore, pursue those 'government' dollars for any reason.

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3991
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas

Re: Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby HDRider » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:41 am

By NGO, do you mean non governmental organizations like PETA?
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
FiveOaksFarmGA
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:42 am

Re: Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby FiveOaksFarmGA » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:17 am

I looked into one of those USDA microloans once for an equipment purchase. They wanted more info than the banks, interest rate was higher, and processing time was in excess of 100 days. Highly ineffective for business purposes, so used NGO (John Deere Financial) to pay for the purchase with 0% interest. Have heard of others that have had good use of USDA loans, but not beneficial in my experience. Rarely does government solve a problem.
Black Angus and Angus crosses
Custom Hay

mtskylark
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby mtskylark » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am

HDRider wrote:By NGO, do you mean non governmental organizations like PETA?


non-government organizations... not so much PETA, cause they're a pain in the arse. But orgs for example, the prairie conservation club(also a pain) is a big deal where i'm from. Maybe something you're more familiar with is National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, Nature Conservancy, or the World Nature Organization. So where I'm from the prairie conservation is pushing for more private land being sold off to the conservancy that will no longer allow cattle to graze on that land because they think the cattle cause erosion and plant degradation, so local ranchers are battling them to keep their land along with battling the BLM and their regulations, restrictions, and fees to use the land they share. I just wondered if anyone found these or some of these NGOs to be helpful. Someone mentioned that it may be more helpful with productivity but not so much profitability. Thoughts? I know there's a lot more that goes into it, but just a general opinion.

mtskylark
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby mtskylark » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 am

So what I'm seeing so far, is that whether its government or not, they're usually more a pain than they're worth? I'm a little bit familiar with BLM stuff. I didn't know John Deere offered stuff like that, so thats really good that you were able to utilize that! My paper has a lot of focus on land conservancy because that was the most talked about topic among research journals, dissertations and such, which were required references. Normally I don't delve too deep into this sort of stuff, so a lot of this info is new to me. I didn't see land conservation as such a battle, because in north central montana, its just what ranchers(farmers) do to maintain their herds/crops. if you don't take care of the land you can't take of anything else and your operation will fail. So.... these gov't and non-gov't orgs other than BLM, USFS, and a couple others I mentioned above i knew of, i just didn't realize the fight that a lot of the people i know have to stay on their lands and work it they way they see fit.... Does any of that make sense? I pretty much just rambled... my bad

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 22998
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:43 pm

I've only had experience with two NGO's.

I was a founding member of an NGO whose intent was to do research and offer extension-like information to others. In the beginning the members were down to earth, like-minded and practical till the group hired what turned out to be an academician treehugger and the group transformed itself into a political government money grovelling outfit that only serves itself and not the purpose which it was founded.

The second NGO I'm familiar with was a group my son's classmate joined. He is a card-carrying man-bun wearing die-hard liberal. A social justice crusader of the highest order. I've never met anyone like him before and to be honest - he intrigued me greatly because I never knew anyone who could be so retarded and not be in a padded cell. The group he joined purpose was to help the starving children in India by teaching them how to grow organic vegetables. After arriving in India he soon realized he could rent a house on the beach and have a maid and a cook come in every day and a yoga master come twice a week and this would cost him next to nothing. So he and his girlfriend spent less than six thousand dollars on a year long vacation and become yoga masters while exploiting the very people they had vowed to help. Like I say, I find this type self serving hypocrisy intriguing because I just don't know how one could sleep at night yet to listen to their hubris you would think they invented water. Update: He is now living in his mother's house but he did make it to Atlanta a few months ago to protest Trump. I guess he couldn't resist a paycheck from Soros.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
Banjo
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1002
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Ky

Re: Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby Banjo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:18 pm

FiveOaksFarmGA wrote:I looked into one of those USDA microloans once for an equipment purchase. They wanted more info than the banks, interest rate was higher, and processing time was in excess of 100 days. Highly ineffective for business purposes, so used NGO (John Deere Financial) to pay for the purchase with 0% interest. Have heard of others that have had good use of USDA loans, but not beneficial in my experience. Rarely does government solve a problem.


The best equipment loan source I've found is Farm Credits Ag Direct program....most bigger dealers are set up with them. Almost too easy. Couple of days and your in business. You do need 20% down however.

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

littletom
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: southern Ky

Re: Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby littletom » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:30 pm

State university's do a ton of research to help the farmer. Some is unrealistic to use on a farm as can be cost prohibitive. Other is great and really helpful. They also do a lot of chemical testing and help with labeling for crop safety. The label is the law. In some crops they do a lot of variety research and development. Now this is not all tax payer money as much of it is industry donations.

User avatar
FiveOaksFarmGA
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:42 am

Re: Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby FiveOaksFarmGA » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:47 pm

As far as conservation, I do get a great benefit from the State of Georgia, whereas I agreed not to develop my land for the next 10 years and I get a property tax reduction. That was easy. Have never had good luck with anything in the Federal realm.
Black Angus and Angus crosses
Custom Hay

User avatar
FiveOaksFarmGA
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:42 am

Re: Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby FiveOaksFarmGA » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:49 pm

Banjo wrote:
FiveOaksFarmGA wrote:I looked into one of those USDA microloans once for an equipment purchase. They wanted more info than the banks, interest rate was higher, and processing time was in excess of 100 days. Highly ineffective for business purposes, so used NGO (John Deere Financial) to pay for the purchase with 0% interest. Have heard of others that have had good use of USDA loans, but not beneficial in my experience. Rarely does government solve a problem.


The best equipment loan source I've found is Farm Credits Ag Direct program....most bigger dealers are set up with them. Almost too easy. Couple of days and your in business. You do need 20% down however.


Yeah I looked at our local Ag Credit sources, and they all wanted huge down payments and process similar to a mortgage or business loan. John Deere gave me $0 down, 0% for 60 months (could have went 72) and nearly instant approval with just a car loan type of application.
Black Angus and Angus crosses
Custom Hay

User avatar
Banjo
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1002
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Ky

Re: Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby Banjo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:03 pm

FiveOaksFarmGA wrote:
Banjo wrote:
FiveOaksFarmGA wrote:I looked into one of those USDA microloans once for an equipment purchase. They wanted more info than the banks, interest rate was higher, and processing time was in excess of 100 days. Highly ineffective for business purposes, so used NGO (John Deere Financial) to pay for the purchase with 0% interest. Have heard of others that have had good use of USDA loans, but not beneficial in my experience. Rarely does government solve a problem.


The best equipment loan source I've found is Farm Credits Ag Direct program....most bigger dealers are set up with them. Almost too easy. Couple of days and your in business. You do need 20% down however.


Yeah I looked at our local Ag Credit sources, and they all wanted huge down payments and process similar to a mortgage or business loan. John Deere gave me $0 down, 0% for 60 months (could have went 72) and nearly instant approval with just a car loan type of application.


Did you have to buy JD equipment or do they finance anything?

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

User avatar
FiveOaksFarmGA
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:42 am

Re: Do NGOs help or hinder?

Postby FiveOaksFarmGA » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Banjo wrote:
FiveOaksFarmGA wrote:
Banjo wrote:
The best equipment loan source I've found is Farm Credits Ag Direct program....most bigger dealers are set up with them. Almost too easy. Couple of days and your in business. You do need 20% down however.


Yeah I looked at our local Ag Credit sources, and they all wanted huge down payments and process similar to a mortgage or business loan. John Deere gave me $0 down, 0% for 60 months (could have went 72) and nearly instant approval with just a car loan type of application.


Did you have to buy JD equipment or do they finance anything?


They finance anything the dealer sells. New JD and Kuhn. They also finance any used equipment of any brand that they have in inventory at extremely low rates (1.9% for 60). I typically have used my Credit Union for other equipment needs. The whole point of me ever using 0% financing is to use the free money, keep cash available, and reduce the need for repairs by buying new equipment. If I have to put 20% down, then I'll just pay cash for something used to get the job done. I have relationships with our Ag Credit services as well, just like the treatment and speed of business that I receive at the dealer and Credit Union better, so I use them the most.
Black Angus and Angus crosses
Custom Hay


Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests