Delivered and stacked value

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3145
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Delivered and stacked value

Postby callmefence » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:20 am

If you had a bunch of coastal small squares.
And several strong hands.
The hay value is of course is determined by local market.
How much would be a fair price to deliver and stack in the barn.?
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14180
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Delivered and stacked value

Postby greybeard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:20 am

Small bales. Heavy small bales. Delivered AND stacked in my barn?

Dunno. How do you put a value on something that's priceless?

Just thinking about them little ******** makes me cringe..
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3145
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Delivered and stacked value

Postby callmefence » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:47 am

greybeard wrote:Small bales. Heavy small bales. Delivered AND stacked in my barn?

Dunno. How do you put a value on something that's priceless?

Just thinking about them little ******** makes me cringe..


So how many should I put you down for?
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1171
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Location: Southeast Oklahoma

Re: Delivered and stacked value

Postby RanchMan90 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:54 am

$1 a bale to deliver and stack is what I was getting in high school with a 3 man crew.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10969
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Delivered and stacked value

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:59 am

Just thinking off the top of my head. I carry about 70 bales on my little 16' bumper pull trailer. There's a hay auction about 5 miles from my house. When I run out, I head over and get some more. I usually give from $3.50-$7.00 per bale. Bermuda brings $5.00 here btw. We're 2.5 hours round trip. If you call our time $15 an hour and the miles $3, then we have $105 in 70 bales. Hard to say family time, and miles on my truck have value, but it's a starting point.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4117
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Delivered and stacked value

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:02 am

Feeding, storing square bales goes under the working smarter not harder rule around here. I did make a half dozen 2'x4' round bales to feed to cows that I might have to doctor or had calving issues.
How many squares will fit on a pallet?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3145
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Delivered and stacked value

Postby callmefence » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:11 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Feeding, storing square bales goes under the working smarter not harder rule around here. I did make a half dozen 2'x4' round bales to feed to cows that I might have to doctor or had calving issues.
How many squares will fit on a pallet?


21 50 pound bales in a bundle. Can load here with forks. This ain't for cow feed. Target is horse owner's primarily.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3145
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Delivered and stacked value

Postby callmefence » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:15 am

RanchMan90 wrote:$1 a bale to deliver and stack is what I was getting in high school with a 3 man crew.


Ha I got . 35 cents a bale in high school

I really think figuring time fuel, labor, matching SS and Medical it would take 3.00 to make a profit.

Edit..a real profit
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6186
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Delivered and stacked value

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:49 pm

How many bales? If it's good orders like 500 or 1000+ it's doable.

The problem I always had was most people didn't buy enough to make it worth while for some one else to haul and stack them. I was better off selling them 50-75 at a time and delivering them myself.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3145
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Delivered and stacked value

Postby callmefence » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:57 pm

Brute 23 wrote:How many bales? If it's good orders like 500 or 1000+ it's doable.

The problem I always had was most people didn't buy enough to make it worth while for some one else to haul and stack them. I was better off selling them 50-75 at a time and delivering them myself.


I'm thinking it would have to be 100 bale minimum. I kinda think it's doable with us being close enough to Austin. Lots of soft hands and big wallets. We have to get creative when deer season comes around. It causes fence building to slow down. If you can't keep your men busy you lose them.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4117
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Delivered and stacked value

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:32 pm

callmefence wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:How many bales? If it's good orders like 500 or 1000+ it's doable.

The problem I always had was most people didn't buy enough to make it worth while for some one else to haul and stack them. I was better off selling them 50-75 at a time and delivering them myself.


I'm thinking it would have to be 100 bale minimum. I kinda think it's doable with us being close enough to Austin. Lots of soft hands and big wallets. We have to get creative when deer season comes around. It causes fence building to slow down. If you can't keep your men busy you lose them.


There's good money in horse hay. There's two folks around here that round bale everything for ease of handling and it's so much quicker. Then whenever a order comes in they unroll round bales and make square bales. Everything is done in a barn and they even spray green dye on the hay if need be.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10969
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Delivered and stacked value

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:02 pm

A real good friend of mine, sells horse hay. Small squares of course. He's also been the most successful at raising Bermuda (Tifton 44) of any body I know. He has a couple of teenage Amish boys that stack it on cotton wagons, as he bales it. He's got barn space for the wagons (tobacco settlement bought). He calls a customer, and they come get the loaded wagon, and bring it back when they unload it. He gets $5.00 a bale, and people are glad to give it. He's not out much physical labor, and sells about 8,000 bales a year. I would actually like to start buying from him, but all of his hay is spoken for, for the foreseeable future.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23323
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Delivered and stacked value

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Talked to a friend who is in the business and he said you might want to look at doing it a couple ways. First, he said if he sells a bale to a feed store say for $5.00 they add a $1.00 to it just for handling it and they sell it for $6.00. Since you are going to be loading it you'll be handling it and need that $1.00. Then delivery is by the mile so you figure the miles but if its close you might just hide the delivery charge in the delivered price and get $2.00 delivered and stacked so there is the $3.00 like you figured.

However, the way he prefers to do it is get his $5 up front at the barn and he puts them in contact with one of his guys and they make arrangements on delivery and stacking and the buyer pays this separately. This way he knows the money is good before the delivery is made so if he gets stuck he won't get stuck for the hay, delivery and labor and he doesn't have to deal with the drama that sometimes occurs with stuff like this. Also, doing it this way his "guys" turn into pretty good hay salesmen for him.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28050
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Delivered and stacked value

Postby TexasBred » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:33 pm

callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Feeding, storing square bales goes under the working smarter not harder rule around here. I did make a half dozen 2'x4' round bales to feed to cows that I might have to doctor or had calving issues.
How many squares will fit on a pallet?


21 50 pound bales in a bundle. Can load here with forks. This ain't for cow feed. Target is horse owner's primarily.

Just don't under price it or they'll think it's no good. Set the price above cow hay...after all this IS "Horse Hay". ;-)
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia


Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests