Cow behavior and hay

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Cow behavior and hay

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:53 pm

bball wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Image
Not hard to tell which bales the cows say are the best.

I like your cattle grit.

Thank you, they ain't much but we enjoy messing with them.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:43 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Image
Not hard to tell which bales the cows say are the best.

those are are starving! :lol2:
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:17 am

BrangusUSA wrote:Someone on here told me not to put out more than two days worth at a time. Keeps it fresh. After two days husband fluffs it with spear and the they finish it off. Very little waste doing it that way.

Before we were putting out six round bales at a time so as to put out hay less often. Two much waste that way.

Ours also definately prefer bermuda over johnson grass. Got around that by putting out johnson grass first part of winter. When that is gone we put out bermuda for the hard part of winter. No more buffet where they choose. When johnson grass is the only thing out there they eat it gladly.

Interesting. On this farm, Coastal is for the horse folks and whatever else I can grow goes to the cows and goat folks. Cows definitely prefer JG over CB in this area and the goats just don't seem to care. I still don't understand why cows will go to the wash and eat 3 year old hay when you have this season's hay, same grass, in a ring.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:49 am

BrangusUSA wrote:Someone on here told me not to put out more than two days worth at a time. Keeps it fresh. After two days husband fluffs it with spear and the they finish it off. Very little waste doing it that way.

Before we were putting out six round bales at a time so as to put out hay less often. Two much waste that way.

This is our procedure as well. They really get at it when you fluff it for some reason. I'd tear into the old bales in the hay ring and see what happens.
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 am

kenny thomas wrote:Try this. Unroll a little of one of the rolls and see if they eat it. It may for some reason have moldy or is there a chance its rolled so tight that they have a problem pulling it out? I have to cut and loosen the roll for weaned calves.

I have some 4x6's that I started putting out and it's really tight. Same problem. Cows can't get into the ends. I normally set the bales out as they are stored with part of the circumference sitting on the ground. I never put 5x6's on end because it was difficult and I felt rain would be a problem internally to a greater degree than sitting on their side.

The next one I put out, I'm going to flip it up on it's end. That way the whole ring has hay accessible rather than 2 opposing spots. With 8 cows per ring, that'll give all of them a fighting chance for a place at the table. Being 4' high rather than 5' should help with any absorbed moisture.
0 x

danl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby danl » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:04 am

Texasmark wrote:Bovines are NUTS! Why would they pass up premium hay in a ring and go to the eroded gulley which contained half a dozen rolls from 5 years ago????????? Best guess is that it rotted and fermented and it's sugar in it's finest refined form....BOOZE and they get drunk.

I've given up on trying to figure them out.

But as I have said before: Take feed store Molasses, thinned enough to be pumpable with a hand held pump up sprayer, has changed a many a mind about what to eat and what not to.

There is an obvious reason for this ... There is always a possibility that old moldy hay has some kind of deadly toxin,and no self respecting cow would pass up a chance to induce abortion or die a slow agonizing death, cause we all know. "Cows are born looking for a way to die"
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:57 pm

danl wrote:
Texasmark wrote:Bovines are NUTS! Why would they pass up premium hay in a ring and go to the eroded gulley which contained half a dozen rolls from 5 years ago????????? Best guess is that it rotted and fermented and it's sugar in it's finest refined form....BOOZE and they get drunk.

I've given up on trying to figure them out.

But as I have said before: Take feed store Molasses, thinned enough to be pumpable with a hand held pump up sprayer, has changed a many a mind about what to eat and what not to.

"Cows are born looking for a way to die"
That's news to me. Seems to me they are a lot smarter than a lot of humans, and more capable too......Heifer just calved. Got everything cleaned up on her own, mom and baby doing fine...............hides the baby to protect it from harm. Yeah I know that's instinct but....just one example.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:26 pm

a cow ain't lookin to die.. a goat is.

i had 120 nanny goats for about 2 years and it amazed me all the ways they found to die. I even found one paralyzed trying to do some stunt i had to shoot.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:07 pm

Texasmark wrote: That's news to me. Seems to me they are a lot smarter than a lot of humans, and more capable too......Heifer just calved. Got everything cleaned up on her own, mom and baby doing fine...............hides the baby to protect it from harm. Yeah I know that's instinct but....just one example.

Amazing ain't it. Even more amazing that baby knows the minute it gets up it's suppose to find something it's never seen and suck on it to get something it's never tasted.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:10 am

TexasBred wrote:
Texasmark wrote: That's news to me. Seems to me they are a lot smarter than a lot of humans, and more capable too......Heifer just calved. Got everything cleaned up on her own, mom and baby doing fine...............hides the baby to protect it from harm. Yeah I know that's instinct but....just one example.

........it's suppose to find something it's never seen.........

.....nor sought and with a little nudging from mom, knows where to look. And then there is getting the plug out or getting the plumbing to "leaking".......just amazing, but nature does it all on it's own in all the species........well maybe all......never had an equine birth.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:58 am

Us humans are the ones dragging the chain a bit.

Ken
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”