Story trip through time.... something to ponder on

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: Story trip through time.... something to ponder on

Post by 1982vett » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:45 am

Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:23 pm
Vette for a long time i thought you lived in the desert.
:lol: Takes about 30 days to go from swamp to desert around here this time of year. Raining again this morning. It's coming from the south rather northwest. Maybe it will slide off and make to Georgia and Florida....

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:02 am

snoopdog wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:35 pm
Thanks for sharing, 09 was when we sold out the cow/calf the last time, and we were in full hay production after that. Your photos are too familiar. I'll take all the rain and an over mature hay crop over a drought anyday.
It toyed with us a few years before it smacked the whole state. It would start hitting the 90's in February and we would be cutting hay in March. Feed some of it in August and September to make it till we could get on oats in October. Doesn't quite work like that anymore.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:42 am

Ran across this drought monitor snapshot just a few minutes ago. A different story this year. Well above average rainfall this year.

Texas PaPaw
GURU
GURU

Post by Texas PaPaw » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:05 am

Central Texas is the land of perpetual drought punctuated by flooding. Only been here 16 years but that is the most accurate description of this areas weather I’ve ever heard. Either a swamp or desert and not much in between. Just been thru a swamp/flooding phase and afraid drought may be just around the corner.
Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Brock's Law "If you do enough stumblin', you'll stumble on to something"

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:43 am

Texas PaPaw wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:05 am
Central Texas is the land of perpetual drought punctuated by flooding. Only been here 16 years but that is the most accurate description of this areas weather I’ve ever heard. Either a swamp or desert and not much in between. Just been thru a swamp/flooding phase and afraid drought may be just around the corner.
Had 5/100 of an inch for the week. Got an upgrade in the forecast of 50% chance of 1/10th of an inch Monday afternoon. Rest of the 10 day forecast is the usual 10-20% chance of 0”.... somehow I think the way that is stated is the loophole if it rains...... wouldn’t a 20% chance of it not raining indicate an 80% chance it will rain? Makes my head hurt. :lol:

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:08 am

Texas PaPaw wrote:
Will the heavy rains this year cause the fires to be worse when it dries out? Heavier vegetation I'm guessing?
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Texas PaPaw
GURU
GURU

Post by Texas PaPaw » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:25 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:08 am
Texas PaPaw wrote:
Will the heavy rains this year cause the fires to be worse when it dries out? Heavier vegetation I'm guessing?
Suppose it could although due to last years drought, many pastures just getting recovered so not a lot of heavy vegetation at this point.
Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Brock's Law "If you do enough stumblin', you'll stumble on to something"

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 pm

Would be a lot for myself.