Disking in oats

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Disking in oats

Postby callmefence » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:30 am

Fortunately I got the chisel to my fields before all this rain. The rain has done a pretty good job of breaking down the clods. Typically , once it dries some of course. I would sling out fertilizer. Disk it in . then drill my oats.
I'm terribly overwhelmed with work right now, and I'm cosidering cuting corners.
I can get the oats mixed with the fertilizer , and disk in together.
Anyone used both methods and have a opinion on the quality of stand lost by not using the drill.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Disking in oats

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:39 am

I have plenty of times and had no problems, because most of the time when you buy bin run seed around it's not clean enough to drill. You can always drill more oats later if you don't like the stand. Normally you should put out a 1/3 more seed when you broad cast. You don't use any rye grass fenceman?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:42 am

As TG said put out more and disc them in. We've does thousands of acres that way over the yrs.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:46 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I have plenty of times and had no problems, because most of the time when you buy bin run seed around it's not clean enough to drill. You can always drill more oats later if you don't like the stand. Normally you should put out a 1/3 more seed when you broad cast. You don't use any rye grass fenceman?

Yes I use alot of ryegrass. Actually was gonna maybe start a thread on cuttling that corner. I had ryegrass go to seed over my entire place due to good spring rains. I typically no till everything I can get a tractor to. I'm thinking of skipping that expense this year. I think there should be plenty of seed in the bank. I'll keep I very close eye on it when the conditions get right for ryegrass germination.
0 x

David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:29 am

callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I have plenty of times and had no problems, because most of the time when you buy bin run seed around it's not clean enough to drill. You can always drill more oats later if you don't like the stand. Normally you should put out a 1/3 more seed when you broad cast. You don't use any rye grass fenceman?

Yes I use alot of ryegrass. Actually was gonna maybe start a thread on cuttling that corner. I had ryegrass go to seed over my entire place due to good spring rains. I typically no till everything I can get a tractor to. I'm thinking of skipping that expense this year. I think there should be plenty of seed in the bank. I'll keep I very close eye on it when the conditions get right for ryegrass germination.

I wouldn't bank on seeds being in the bank myself.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

SJB
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SJB » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:42 am

I wouldn't even disc them in. They will literally grow on wet cardboard or in the bed of a pickup.
0 x
"Reading is easy, doing is hard." - HDRider

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:48 am

SJB wrote:I wouldn't even disc them in. They will literally grow on wet cardboard or in the bed of a pickup.

I'm not planting them In the back of a pickup.
You don't cover up oats in Texas. You might as well just throw money out there.
0 x

David Crockett

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:04 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:

Well I planned to skip on planting oats this year. I also had a bumper crop of volunteer ryegrass everywhere last year. We had little to no rain from July till October last year. Then it started raining and cool weather followed. Ideal for ryegrass and clover.
I will be keeping an eye on its germination. This weeks rain might pose a problem . It will probably germinate. It's to early for cooler fall temperatures so anything that comes up will soon be toast when the sun showes itself. If that happens I will have to reconsider. Our winters are usually pretty mild. Last year I fed 10 rolls of hay over about 30 days (to 60 cows). I still have 120 acres that hasn't seen a cow since April. 250 tons of 9 to 10 % hay. This is the most moisture we have had going into fall in 10 or more years so I suspect good pasture to not be a problem.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:15 am

True Grit Farms wrote:

For ryegrass...There will be 'some' seeds in the soil--not a terrible lot that I have seen here--I would call 1/4 of what you might broadcast to come back from seed the following year to be a good return but I think it mostly depends how the ryegrass was managed @ the end of the previous winter' growing season. I've never had but just a very few oat 'volunteers' come up here and there the next year.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:33 am

I had good volunteer oats in 2010. But..... I had grazed the previous crop short in March and pasture drilled hay grazer into it in April. Timing wasn't quite right as the oats regrowth outgrew the hay grazer and made a lot of seed. Little to no rain from June till October made for a good crop of oats when it started raining.
Did I ever tell you I'd rather have to plant rather than go 4 months without rain? .....
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:16 am

1982vett--Do you bale your haygrazer or just graze it?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:38 am

What kills me when you disk it in is some pops up real soon and some comes up later just because the depths are not as uniform. It will drive you to drinking if you watch it too much.

I made the mistake of disking oats in one time. Some came up fast but it was real thin. I panicked and no tilled some jumbo rye in. Finally it all came in and was thick as heck. There were strips of jumbo rye and a thick cover of oats.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:41 am

greybeard wrote:1982vett--Do you bale your haygrazer or just graze it?

I'm not vett by a long shot but I plant give or take 20 to 30 acres exclusively for grazing.
I've tried millet but haygrazer outperforms it hands down
0 x

David Crockett

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:20 am

I understand that even tho you're probably not 200 miles from me, there's a world of difference between central Texas and deep East Texas, but which variety haygrazer do you use?
Been tempted to try pearl millet just because it's so cheap to buy and seems to grow easy here.. IF what I see under my bird feeders is any indication.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:56 pm

It will,work,fine and you can mix the ryegrass in too if you don't cover very deep.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”