Land clearing in KY

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
bigbluegrass
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Land clearing in KY

Postby bigbluegrass » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:27 pm

I planted a mix of legumes, oats and grass. I didn't put much grass in, figuring there was some seed in the bales. Here is a after the bale graze in April 2017.

Same area in June 2017.

That area is on its way to making a decent pasture. While it is not cleaned up as well as I would like, the cows don't seem to mind grazing around the few sticks that are left.

While clearing in the late fall and winter is not ideal, it worked for me. That is the easiest time for me to take off from a paying job and do things around the farm. I extended the cleared area this past year. The cows are out there again, pushing hay into the ground.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:32 pm

Looking good!
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:34 pm

bigbluegrass wrote:I planted a mix of legumes, oats and grass. I didn't put much grass in, figuring there was some seed in the bales. Here is a after the bale graze in April 2017.

Same area in June 2017.

That area is on its way to making a decent pasture. While it is not cleaned up as well as I would like, the cows don't seem to mind grazing around the few sticks that are left.

While clearing in the late fall and winter is not ideal, it worked for me. That is the easiest time for me to take off from a paying job and do things around the farm. I extended the cleared area this past year. The cows are out there again, pushing hay into the ground.

Planted how? Hand broadcast spreader, drilled, or another way? Looks good.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

bigbluegrass
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby bigbluegrass » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 pm

broadcast
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:02 pm

bigbluegrass wrote:broadcast

I thought you wanted some dozer help?

Did you lease a dozer? Looks good. As you know, I went through that same process. I hope all is well up there in my home county. My brother retired so he is not in a position to do any more damage. Lol
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

bigbluegrass
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby bigbluegrass » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:10 pm

I bought a track loader / crawler tractor last year. Case 1155E. I couldn't find a place that would lease one to me without some high dollar insurance. The lease rate is also pretty steep. I couldn't cost justify the lease. This way I can do a little each year and work in a few other projects I need the loader for. I had to do some repairs on it last year, but it is getting it done. The plan is to sell the loader in a few year, after I am finished.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:15 pm

bigbluegrass wrote:I bought a track loader / crawler tractor last year. Case 1155E. I couldn't find a place that would lease one to me without some high dollar insurance. The lease rate is also pretty steep. I couldn't cost justify the lease. This way I can do a little each year and work in a few other projects I need the loader for. I had to do some repairs on it last year, but it is getting it done. The plan is to sell the loader in a few year, after I am finished.

I think I told you I bought my dozer, cleared my land and sold it for $500 less than I paid for it. Was the best investment I have made on the farm.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”