Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46990
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby dun » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:24 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Thanks GB

I got a call from sheriff office calves were out so I went and fooled with the fence.made those changes most I got out out of it were a little over 2000 volts last I checked but found a limb on the fence pushing wire onto the t post shorting out a section so may have more volts I noticed that the ground is cracking open to.

After you cleared the short to ground (T-post) did you check the wire voltage
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14488
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby greybeard » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Cross, I know you your chargers, but do you think 1/2 Joule is hot enough at 6100V--assuming 1000ohm resistance in the wire?
https://www.speedrite.com/en-us/product/s500

Isn't Speedrite just a souped up or rebranded patriot?
Both are made by the same company--TruTest.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21378
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:53 am

These are handy gizmos to alert you there is s problem. Check the fence every morning on the east and west sides no flash no problem.
https://gallagherelectricfencing.com/pr ... gKG9PD_BwE
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

User avatar
Banjo
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1053
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Ky

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby Banjo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:16 am

Also, I highly recommend a digital fence tester like Gallaghers smart Fix tester. It has a Amp reading that tells you how many amps is going thru the fence....thus a short.
My Taylor fence charger was acting funny the other day.....only blinking on every other click....its supposed to blink on every click. My first thought was it was tore up, but then I put my tester on the fence it and was showing 40 amps.
I was able to run it down and the fence had somehow gotten off the insulater and was against the steel post. Put an insulator on it and problem solved. Now it blinks on every click....and my voltage reading came way up.
If you got a lot of fence it is a must have IMO.
0 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:18 am

dun wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Thanks GB

I got a call from sheriff office calves were out so I went and fooled with the fence.made those changes most I got out out of it were a little over 2000 volts last I checked but found a limb on the fence pushing wire onto the t post shorting out a section so may have more volts I noticed that the ground is cracking open to.

After you cleared the short to ground (T-post) did you check the wire voltage


Checked it this morning is right at 2700
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:19 am

Caustic Burno wrote:These are handy gizmos to alert you there is s problem. Check the fence every morning on the east and west sides no flash no problem.
https://gallagherelectricfencing.com/pr ... gKG9PD_BwE


Thanks
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21378
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:22 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
dun wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Thanks GB

I got a call from sheriff office calves were out so I went and fooled with the fence.made those changes most I got out out of it were a little over 2000 volts last I checked but found a limb on the fence pushing wire onto the t post shorting out a section so may have more volts I noticed that the ground is cracking open to.

After you cleared the short to ground (T-post) did you check the wire voltage


Checked it this morning is right at 2700



Your low still have a ground or battery problem. How old is the battery.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21378
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:36 am

Sky you have to get one of these save hours of looking.


Image
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby M-5 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:35 am

I check mine every day , Ive been around electric fence my whole life and I used a number of testers but since I bought the dare fault finder this year I can diagnose a problem In 5 seconds. I am 2 cheap to buy fence disconnects at 10 to 20 bucks a piece and picked up a bunch of battery disconnect switches from harbor freight for 2 bucks a piece a while back and have them installed in strategic locations I turned on a section sunday running 4.3 amps a 6.8 volts no short showing so I rode down it and saw where some morning glory was growing I left it alone and the next day it was 2.6 and 8.3volts and the MG was dead and drying out.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:43 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
dun wrote:After you cleared the short to ground (T-post) did you check the wire voltage


Checked it this morning is right at 2700



Your low still have a ground or battery problem. How old is the battery.


Battery is 5 years old.

Caustic Burno wrote:Sky you have to get one of these save hours of looking.


Image


I will definitely have one cause that's a pain in the butt walking the fence even riding is a pain in the woods if you gotta get off and walk where the ranger cant fit

M-5 wrote:I check mine every day , Ive been around electric fence my whole life and I used a number of testers but since I bought the dare fault finder this year I can diagnose a problem In 5 seconds. I am 2 cheap to buy fence disconnects at 10 to 20 bucks a piece and picked up a bunch of battery disconnect switches from harbor freight for 2 bucks a piece a while back and have them installed in strategic locations I turned on a section sunday running 4.3 amps a 6.8 volts no short showing so I rode down it and saw where some morning glory was growing I left it alone and the next day it was 2.6 and 8.3volts and the MG was dead and drying out.


I use mine only on leased places with no electric I need to make a habit to test daily
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46990
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby dun » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:00 am

2700 is still way too low. 4500 is considered the minimum for cattle. If you don;t have one, get a digital tester like was recommended. I had a Gallagher that I had to send in 3 times in 6 months to be repaired so I got the one from Stafix. Been 10 years and all I;ve had to do is change batterys once. The run anywhere from 85-100 bucks but they'll save that much in aggravation. I would still check it with a different charger to at least eliminate one possibility. Then check it again for shorts, then augment the ground system if needed
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Cross-7
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1946
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: SW OK

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby Cross-7 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:34 am

greybeard wrote:Cross, I know you your chargers, but do you think 1/2 Joule is hot enough at 6100V--assuming 1000ohm resistance in the wire?
https://www.speedrite.com/en-us/product/s500

Isn't Speedrite just a souped up or rebranded patriot?
Both are made by the same company--TruTest.



Trutest mfg for Speedrite, Stayfix and Patriot, and many other things
I would rank them in that order as quality goes and also in price.

The link states it's only a 1/2 joule output and 9500 volts
The mag12sp is high as 3.1 joule and 11000 volts

I have 3 mag12sp running right now
One powers a little over 2000' and also around my garden.
I accidentally get into it fairly regularly and it zaps you pretty good,
But the Speedrite has got me twice.
The first it rattled my teeth.
The second time I was climbing over barbwire fence with an electric wire attached to it. It got me through my pants and boot top and still lit me up.

The stated output the parmak should be "hotter" but given a choice I'd touch a mag12sp before I would a S500

But based on output numbers it doesn't make sense
0 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14488
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby greybeard » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:30 am

That's like a choice between being shot by a 30.06 or a .300 win.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:12 pm

Dry here again sheriff called me all my cattle were out I was a half hour away talk about sick feeling in the stomach ... Get there everyone is accounted for fence barely putting anything out.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
shaz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1262
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 pm
Location: Middle Tn

Re: Parmak solar 12v fence charger

Postby shaz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:45 am

You've got to get around 7-10K volts. I'm not surprised the cows are out. Measure your charger ground terminal to earth ground. I'll bet it's over 2K.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?


Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests