What is Normal Forage

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
M-5
GURU
GURU

What is Normal Forage

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:28 pm

What most consider normal forage or summer grass in the deep south is Bermuda , Bahia . I tend to let my fields get a little weedier than most because of the variety for the cows. The tenant that row crops some of our land came by sunday and asked what I thought he should do with the mess he has on about 50 acres he had sprigged in may . I told him I would help him get it cleaned up . The sprigs didn't take because he was a week early planting and we were dry. Huge amount of mature crabgrass , volunteer peanuts , buffalo grass , sand spur, rag weed, pigweed everywhere, sparse areas of Bermuda, coffee weed, in the fence rows lots of poison ivy and I am sure their may be other grasses not mentioned . the cows have been on it for about 4 days and I checked on them yesterday they were grazing like goats. had some eating crabgrass , one heifer had hundreds of sand spurs on her face getting the SS grass . I noticed a couple going from peanut vine to peanut vine pulling it up to get to the nuts. some of the older cows were breaking down the pigweed to get to the tender tops . all of the ragweed had been topped . Now this is not a situation where this is all they have . I have more grass this year that anytime recently they left a perfect field of Bahia to come to this one and still have access to go back. I think a lot of time people tend to spray and kill very good forage. And I will at times spray just to get some weeds they wont eat under control.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

shaz
GURU
GURU

Re: What is Normal Forage

Postby shaz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Probably but I haven't seen any cows eat horse nettle yet so I'm spraying like crazy.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:17 pm

shaz wrote:Probably but I haven't seen any cows eat horse nettle yet so I'm spraying like crazy.

they wont eat it unless they have no other choice , its poisonous. I have some of that to but I just spot spray
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Bahia is king in East Texas common Bermuda is queen here. Few try to keep Coastal in hay fields which is very costly.
I am the only one I know that has verified improved crab grass by county agent in the county.
Through the years I have planted African Star,Coastal, Cheyenne ,common Bermuda, Paraguay, Argentine,and Pensacola Bahia looking for better forage. Crab grass has been the most successful on this journey
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Its almost as if you need to be paying him for grazing or he pay you for cleaning it up. Its like you are doing what the original cattlemen did - turn worthless forage into something of value. Might even prove to be profitable.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:27 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Its almost as if you need to be paying him for grazing or he pay you for cleaning it up. Its like you are doing what the original cattlemen did - turn worthless forage into something of value. Might even prove to be profitable.

Shhhhhhh , I had to keep a straight face when I said I could help.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:37 pm

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I came close to wetting myself once when someone asked how to kill kudzu so they'd have more grass for their cattle. Multiple stomachs can do amazing things if we just let them.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:38 pm

Jogeephus wrote::lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I came close to wetting myself once when someone asked how to kill kudzu so they'd have more grass for their cattle. Multiple stomachs can do amazing things if we just let them.

Yep, a properly functioning rumen can turn very undigestible grass into beef.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:41 pm

I enjoy seeing some of the wierd things cows choose to eat. Reaching up for certain tree leaves at times. One spring my cows went crazy for multiflora rose leaves. I did notice they were pretty carefully eating those though.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:55 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Bahia is king in East Texas common Bermuda is queen here. Few try to keep Coastal in hay fields which is very costly.
I am the only one I know that has verified improved crab grass by county agent in the county.
Through the years I have planted African Star,Coastal, Cheyenne ,common Bermuda, Paraguay, Argentine,and Pensacola Bahia looking for better forage. Crab grass has been the most successful on this journey

Ever, thought about planting something made for deep East Texas instead of Africa, Cheyenne, South America and Florida??? :lol2: :lol: :hide:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:05 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Bahia is king in East Texas common Bermuda is queen here. Few try to keep Coastal in hay fields which is very costly.

Ever, thought about planting something made for deep East Texas instead of Africa, Cheyenne, South America and Florida??? :lol2: :lol: :hide:

Dallas grass sucks
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:18 am

M5...the only weeds I have are things the cows won't eat haha! My cattle have favorites though...their absolute favorite is crabgrass...I have red river and quick and big...don't seem to matter to them. I have fescue...it is the last thing they will go after. Mine like Dallisgrass, and strangely enough will denude a one acre pond of lilly pads. It is a lot of fun watching them graze the middle of the pond for the lilly pads. Actually I lied...the last grass my cows will eat is bermuda grass...no idea why!!!

Tim
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:28 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:M5...the only weeds I have are things the cows won't eat haha! My cattle have favorites though...their absolute favorite is crabgrass...I have red river and quick and big...don't seem to matter to them. I have fescue...it is the last thing they will go after. Mine like Dallisgrass, and strangely enough will denude a one acre pond of lilly pads. It is a lot of fun watching them graze the middle of the pond for the lilly pads. Actually I lied...the last grass my cows will eat is bermuda grass...no idea why!!!

Tim

I wonder if you could spray something on bermuda to get cows to eat it? Sugar or something?
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:35 am

they will eat it when they have too. They prefer it dried in hay .
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:51 am

Won't eat bermuda ??? Are you serious ?? Mine love it.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”