What is Normal Forage

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: What is Normal Forage

Postby callmefence » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:20 pm

slick4591 wrote:Mine are another group that holds off until a last resort to eat the Bermuda. Every paddock has it and they are exposed to it all growing season, and it's the last to turn dormant. I am looking to maybe plant Bahia come spring as iI have a ton of what we call needle grass that they love. I have no idea what the real name might be.

Texas winter grass
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:44 am

callmefence wrote:Texas winter grass

Not it. We call that spear grass, but we have that too.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:23 am

slick4591 wrote:

Same here.. spear grass. I've heard some call it needle grass I thought I had a answer for ya.
I was so dam proud. :frowns:
:D
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:01 am

callmefence wrote:
slick4591 wrote:

Same here.. spear grass. I've heard some call it needle grass I thought I had a answer for ya.
I was so dam proud. :frowns:
:D

lol What I know as needle grass has thinner blades on them. They do grow in clumps, but I have never seen it make those spears. I've asked a bunch of old timers around here and needle grass is always the answer. Thanks for trying.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:56 pm

mine eat alot of wild cherry leaves and poke berries, hasnt bothered them yet
0 x

Texasmark
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Texasmark » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:40 pm

M-5 wrote:What most consider normal forage or summer grass in the deep south is Bermuda , Bahia . I tend to let my fields get a little weedier than most because of the variety for the cows. The tenant that row crops some of our land came by sunday and asked what I thought he should do with the mess he has on about 50 acres he had sprigged in may . I told him I would help him get it cleaned up . The sprigs didn't take because he was a week early planting and we were dry. Huge amount of mature crabgrass , volunteer peanuts , buffalo grass , sand spur, rag weed, pigweed everywhere, sparse areas of Bermuda, coffee weed, in the fence rows lots of poison ivy and I am sure their may be other grasses not mentioned . the cows have been on it for about 4 days and I checked on them yesterday they were grazing like goats. had some eating crabgrass , one heifer had hundreds of sand spurs on her face getting the SS grass . I noticed a couple going from peanut vine to peanut vine pulling it up to get to the nuts. some of the older cows were breaking down the pigweed to get to the tender tops . all of the ragweed had been topped . Now this is not a situation where this is all they have . I have more grass this year that anytime recently they left a perfect field of Bahia to come to this one and still have access to go back. I think a lot of time people tend to spray and kill very good forage. And I will at times spray just to get some weeds they wont eat under control.

I agree. I've watched the tongue action in a mixed field and they know what they want and that tongue moves around the dislikes and finds the likes like a well played symphony. Funny thing about hay feeding too. You can take a 4 year old roll of hay and toss it in a ravine for erosion control and put a perfect roll in a hoop and they'll leave it for the old. I think some of it turns to sugar, or ferments and turns booze and they get drunk on it. Grin
0 x

danl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby danl » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:23 am

MtnCows93 wrote:mine eat alot of wild cherry leaves and poke berries, hasnt bothered them yet

That is because they are eating the cherry leaves green off ofthe tree. Once the leaf wilts it contains prussic acid (cyanide)
and I promise it will kill them.

I don't know about poke berries, birds sure eat them a lot.
0 x

danl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby danl » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:30 am

"Serious gastrointestinal problems have occurred, including bloody vomiting, bloody diarrhea, and low blood pressure."

That was copied from poison control for people. Makes me want to down a handfull. :D

This is copied from Pet Poison Control and included cattle.
All parts of this perennial contain saponins and oxalates which cause severe gastrointestinal irritation. Excessive salivation, vomiting, inappetance/refusal of food, diarrhea, possible tremors, and a drop in blood pressure may occur. The berries are generally not known for being very poisonous, and often may pass through the gastrointestinal tract intact (without being broken down).

Now that I'm done with that... My cows are eating Bermuda hay right now and walking past Bermuda pasture to get to it.
We haven't had rain in 6 weeks and everything else is gone.
I think it is tough to bite off and they would rather it already cut off.. Or maybe the flavor is better cured.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”