Drum mower

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
gobcows27
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Drum mower

Postby gobcows27 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:26 pm

Looking for anyone who owns a drum mower for quite a while now and what your thoughts are on them? Do they hold up well? Pro? Cons? Brands? We've used a IH 1190 mower/conditioner for years now, we mow a little over 50 acres a years and it's slow going, farming is not our day job and it starting to weigh down on us taking 4 or 5 hours to mow a field.
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10964
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Drum mower

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:01 pm

I think this is my 3rd summer with one. I have a Kuhn. Appears to be a remake of the PZ 170. Not the fastest. I haven't actually timed myself cutting hay with it. I usually cut 25 acres at a time. Takes a while, but it gets done in a day. The kids do the hay cuttin, and I'm sure it could be done faster. I just say all that, because it sounds like time is a factor for you.

I like the simplicity of it. Not much to break.
I also like the economics of it. Much cheaper than all other options.
Blades can be changed in a couple of minutes as well.
I've owned conditioners, and disc mowers. When I need another one, it'll be a drum mower.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am

Re: Drum mower

Postby kentuckyguy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:17 pm

We use a drum mower and I have to say it's by far the most trouble free piece of equipment we own. Blades and grease is all we have ever had to do with it.

Ours is 6.5ft model and its heavy when sitting straight back to the rear in transport position.

The limiting factor on cutting speed with our drum mower is bumps in the field. It will cut as fast as you are willing to drive.

The only downfall to a drum mower is it windrows the hay between the drums. This has to have the Tedder ran over it to get dry. Which we have to do regardless of what we now with.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1462
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ohio

Re: Drum mower

Postby M.Magis » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:34 pm

The biggest downside to drum mowers, for me, is the limited cutting width. I would think if time is the biggest factor, a disc mower would be the better option.
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10964
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Drum mower

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:39 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:We use a drum mower and I have to say it's by far the most trouble free piece of equipment we own. Blades and grease is all we have ever had to do with it.

Ours is 6.5ft model and its heavy when sitting straight back to the rear in transport position.

The limiting factor on cutting speed with our drum mower is bumps in the field. It will cut as fast as you are willing to drive.

The only downfall to a drum mower is it windrows the hay between the drums. This has to have the Tedder ran over it to get dry. Which we have to do regardless of what we now with.


I should have mention tedding. I tet twice anyway, and always have. You want get by without one if you have a drum mower.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

gobcows27
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Drum mower

Postby gobcows27 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks everyone! Sort of the reason we are considering one is the fact that we tedder twice as it is with our mower conditioner so we didnt consider that a down side, the price brand new is super nice as well. We do live in PA and none of our fields are flat and many contain bumps.
0 x

gobcows27
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Drum mower

Postby gobcows27 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:09 am

Next question is when mowing can you raise machine to exit a row while its running or do you have to shut it off? Or do you leave it down and running and just keep going?
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Drum mower

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:03 am

Bigfoot wrote:I think this is my 3rd summer with one. I have a Kuhn. Appears to be a remake of the PZ 170. Not the fastest. I haven't actually timed myself cutting hay with it. I usually cut 25 acres at a time. Takes a while, but it gets done in a day. The kids do the hay cuttin, and I'm sure it could be done faster. I just say all that, because it sounds like time is a factor for you.

I like the simplicity of it. Not much to break.
I also like the economics of it. Much cheaper than all other options.
Blades can be changed in a couple of minutes as well.
I've owned conditioners, and disc mowers. When I need another one, it'll be a drum mower.


I have heard they are not as good on slopes as a disc mower. Is that true?
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10964
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Drum mower

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:49 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I think this is my 3rd summer with one. I have a Kuhn. Appears to be a remake of the PZ 170. Not the fastest. I haven't actually timed myself cutting hay with it. I usually cut 25 acres at a time. Takes a while, but it gets done in a day. The kids do the hay cuttin, and I'm sure it could be done faster. I just say all that, because it sounds like time is a factor for you.

I like the simplicity of it. Not much to break.
I also like the economics of it. Much cheaper than all other options.
Blades can be changed in a couple of minutes as well.
I've owned conditioners, and disc mowers. When I need another one, it'll be a drum mower.


I have heard they are not as good on slopes as a disc mower. Is that true?


They're heavy. That may very well be the case. I'd rather transport one folded back on our hills,than a disc mower sticking straight up.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10964
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Drum mower

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:51 am

gobcows27 wrote:Next question is when mowing can you raise machine to exit a row while its running or do you have to shut it off? Or do you leave it down and running and just keep going?


I just leave mine running, and in contact with the ground.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Drum mower

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:03 pm

I have looked at mowers on Craigslist with the idea that if I could do my own mowing it would be easy to get a rake and then just pay someone to come in and roll my hay.

The drum mowers are 40% less than a good disc mower. I see new ones for under 4K.
0 x

gobcows27
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Drum mower

Postby gobcows27 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Bright Raven wrote:I have looked at mowers on Craigslist with the idea that if I could do my own mowing it would be easy to get a rake and then just pay someone to come in and roll my hay.

The drum mowers are 40% less than a good disc mower. I see new ones for under 4K.



Thats honestly why we were looking into them prices are great compared to disc and mower conditioners
0 x

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 837
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:19 pm
Location: NE Tennessee

Re: Drum mower

Postby A.J. » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:40 pm

We've had ours for around 14 years now, and it's been a solid machine. We go over some rough ground, and it's been very durable, and has cut anything we've run it through. We can mow with it the same groundspeed as our disc mower. As others have said the only downside would be the cut length and wind rowing the crop some. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if the need arose. There's lots of lower hp tractors around here, and they are a great fit.
0 x

gobcows27
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Drum mower

Postby gobcows27 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:48 pm

Any suggestions on a brand?
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10964
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Drum mower

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:54 pm

gobcows27 wrote:Any suggestions on a brand?


I looked at all brands. Imho,Kuhn is the only name brand that makes one. I went with it.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.


Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests