Drum mower

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Drum mower

Postby kentuckyguy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:57 pm

I like the the drum mower windrows hay when the ground is wet. I usually cut one day and allow the ground to dry good before tedding the next day.

I really feel spreading the hay out on dry ground helps.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:05 am

Bigfoot wrote:
kentuckyguy wrote:We use a drum mower and I have to say it's by far the most trouble free piece of equipment we own. Blades and grease is all we have ever had to do with it.

Ours is 6.5ft model and its heavy when sitting straight back to the rear in transport position.

The limiting factor on cutting speed with our drum mower is bumps in the field. It will cut as fast as you are willing to drive.

The only downfall to a drum mower is it windrows the hay between the drums. This has to have the Tedder ran over it to get dry. Which we have to do regardless of what we now with.

I should have mention tedding. I tet twice anyway, and always have. You want get by without one if you have a drum mower.

Do you cut your sudex with s drum mower?
The general consensus here is you have to have a mowco .
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:54 am

I have a Reese drum mower as a backup to the discbine. Only downside is the limited cutting width at 8' wide. The Reese is very heavy duty and there are only a couple of bearings on the drums, and a few belts to wear out so it will run forever.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:09 am

callmefence wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
kentuckyguy wrote:We use a drum mower and I have to say it's by far the most trouble free piece of equipment we own. Blades and grease is all we have ever had to do with it.

Ours is 6.5ft model and its heavy when sitting straight back to the rear in transport position.

The limiting factor on cutting speed with our drum mower is bumps in the field. It will cut as fast as you are willing to drive.

The only downfall to a drum mower is it windrows the hay between the drums. This has to have the Tedder ran over it to get dry. Which we have to do regardless of what we now with.

I should have mention tedding. I tet twice anyway, and always have. You want get by without one if you have a drum mower.

Do you cut your sudex with s drum mower?
The general consensus here is you have to have a mowco .

Yes. I usually need 3 days of sunshine after cutting for sudex to dry. Baled some Johnson grass (different grass, but same concept) after 2 days this year. No mold so far.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ERNIBIGB
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ERNIBIGB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:30 pm

I have a Reese with tedder. Very durable but somewhat heavy.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 pm

My Reese is very heavy. It will stand a 2wd 100hp cab tractor up on the back tires without some serious weight up front. Also takes some power to turn.
0 x

Texasmark
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Texasmark » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 pm

gobcows27 wrote:Looking for anyone who owns a drum mower for quite a while now and what your thoughts are on them? Do they hold up well? Pro? Cons? Brands? We've used a IH 1190 mower/conditioner for years now, we mow a little over 50 acres a years and it's slow going, farming is not our day job and it starting to weigh down on us taking 4 or 5 hours to mow a field.

I have a 6' I bought from Small Farm Innovations online around the 2005 time line. Got tired of the sicklebars. Mine is probably too small for your aspirations but I understand larger ones are available with 3 drums as compared to my 2. Very rugged machines. I had a wet spring in 2014 and couldn't get into my "Gotcha Plus" (late maturing S+S) hay patch for quite a while. As a result it grew taller than the cab on my tractor (still small stems and no boots or seed pods due to late maturing hybrid) and it cut it clean as a whistle...have pics but not familiar with this site's loading technique....yet.

I forget the number of revs per min but it's very high producing excellent tip velocity and resultant cutting. Nothing really to fail. I run mine on my 65 hp 4wd tractor with FEL, not because it needs 65, but because of the side weight, when in the cut positon but for when not on the ground mowing, it needs a heavy front end, especially left side for counter balance. Blades are cheap and change out easily enough. Double sided so that you can swap sides and reuse a blade or do like I do and take a grinder to them just before mowing and hone 'em up.

Mine was just over $3k new. Few moving parts. Cut anything forward or backwards, wet or dry, in the water or out, ditches, roadsides, terraces, you name it. Does not clog period!
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:33 pm

We had a Reese and other then weight the darn thing ate belts from the get go and after 5 years sold it, still eating belts.
Much prefer the disc mower that we replaced it with
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 am

dun wrote:We had a Reese and other then weight the darn thing ate belts from the get go and after 5 years sold it, still eating belts.

My Reese is 10+ years old and still on the original belts. Up until 2 years ago it mowed 200+ acres a year. I have a new set of belts in a box for it just in case but never needed them.

Much prefer the 12' discbine but keep the reese as a backup because its stupid simple and have no doubt that if it sits for 10 years I could pull it out and be mowing hay within a couple minutes.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:48 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:
dun wrote:We had a Reese and other then weight the darn thing ate belts from the get go and after 5 years sold it, still eating belts.

My Reese is 10+ years old and still on the original belts. Up until 2 years ago it mowed 200+ acres a year. I have a new set of belts in a box for it just in case but never needed them.

Much prefer the 12' discbine but keep the reese as a backup because its stupid simple and have no doubt that if it sits for 10 years I could pull it out and be mowing hay within a couple minutes.

The dealer could never figure out the problem. Replaced pulleys and bearings and they decided we would just have to live with it.
0 x

gobcows27
Beginner
Beginner

Postby gobcows27 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks for all the info guys! Does anyone know of any dealers in or near Pennsylvania, and brands besides Reese? There's a place in Kentucky that called sweets that will ship and deliver for free, a bdr- 185 6ft cut (I think) for around $4299, is it a sweet deal? :D Thanks for any input!
0 x

Texasmark
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Texasmark » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:34 pm

dun wrote:
chevytaHOE5674 wrote:

The dealer could never figure out the problem. Replaced pulleys and bearings and they decided we would just have to live with it.

Were the belts rubbing on the shroud that encircles them, causing them to smoke?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Texasmark wrote:
dun wrote:The dealer could never figure out the problem. Replaced pulleys and bearings and they decided we would just have to live with it.

Were the belts rubbing on the shroud that encircles them, causing them to smoke?

Nope. I thought it may have been that they were too loose but the dealer said no, that everything was fine. I wish I could get a hold of whoever has it now and see if they still have the same problem. But it could be like a Vicon baler that I put up with for 2 years. The subsequent buyers only put up with it for a year each. Now it's sitting in the back of a salvage dealers lot.
0 x

Texasmark
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Texasmark » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Very interesting. My problem was as I described and was nothing more than the sheet metal shroud wasn't properly aligned. How that happened who knows, could have been anywhere, could have been banged in the shipment over here. Mine is built like a tank and it's hard imagine a shev getting out of alignment, especially with 4 huge belts running parallel (to distribute the load) on the shame shafts.
0 x

Hollis
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hollis » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:10 pm

I bought a Zetor 165 last yr. Trouble free, mowed fast, way cheaper than disc mower. I have seen older 4 drum mowers but haven't looked recently for new 4 drum. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one and I do NOT Tedder anything. But my hay isn't very good. Haven't had a problem with curing.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”