Pasture Maintenance

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 12:33 pm
Location: SW Michigan

Pasture Maintenance

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm curious what others are doing on an annual basis for maintaining their pasture soils. Soil test annually? N/P/K annually? Lime annually? My pastures are on their third year. I limed them heavily in the first year to build up the PH as I'm in pretty light soil. They've produced well, but I am thinking about pulling another soil sample and see how their holding up.
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21187
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:36 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:I'm curious what others are doing on an annual basis for maintaining their pasture soils. Soil test annually? N/P/K annually? Lime annually? My pastures are on their third year. I limed them heavily in the first year to build up the PH as I'm in pretty light soil. They've produced well, but I am thinking about pulling another soil sample and see how their holding up.



I test yearly PH is my biggest battle.
I am a grass farmer first.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6259
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:07 pm

My first battle is weeds and brush so we spray annually. On soils that pack we will run a disk, subsoiler, or pasture renovator.

Soil samples are on the list to start doing but right now there is no extra money with the heavy brush spraying program. I figure I have two more years before I can back off to just annual maintenance spraying.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46870
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby dun » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:47 pm

Soil test every other year and fertilize to the test
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7118
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:48 pm

dun wrote:Soil test every other year and fertilize to the test

X2
I do a lot of spraying the,last 2 years and the,results are good. Can just spot spray next year I hope.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

littletom
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: southern Ky

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby littletom » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Soil test and keep ph in check. Use soil test as baseline for p&K can't always afford to go right by it. Forty acres near shop get 80-100 acres worth of tobacco stalks each fall and winter. This fall I put n on 30 acres of fescue for stockpiled winter grazing. The next day it rained 7'' so that was likely a waste. I would guess they get sprayed with 24d every other year. Seems like we are drilling seed to often to me
0 x

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10314
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 pm

I do nothing.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6204
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Klickitat County Washington

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:14 pm

Before retiring I did fertility recommendations on hundreds of soil tests a year. I recommend testing every 3 years for pH, P and K once you have reached your desired levels.
On the other hand I have some rented pastures I do nothing on. i could spend money to double the production. Or I could spend less money to rent twice as much pasture.
0 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:25 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby Luckiamute » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:21 am

I lime once every 3 to 4 years, depending on results of soil tests (PH) and finances. Usually apply 1 to 1.25 tons per acre. Also fertilize annually as early in the spring as ground moisture allows, applying nutrients based mostly on most recent soil test results. I do soil tests every 3 years. They are cheap and its valuable yet inexpensive information. Also do spot spraying or mass spraying for weeds, mostly thistles and wild carrot.
0 x

User avatar
Banjo
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1049
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Ky

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby Banjo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:15 am

littletom wrote:Soil test and keep ph in check. Use soil test as baseline for p&K can't always afford to go right by it. Forty acres near shop get 80-100 acres worth of tobacco stalks each fall and winter. This fall I put n on 30 acres of fescue for stockpiled winter grazing. The next day it rained 7'' so that was likely a waste. I would guess they get sprayed with 24d every other year. Seems like we are drilling seed to often to me


Those tobacco stalks are some good stuff. I have an area that I put some on about 6 years ago....its still noticeably better than other pasture around it.
I would tie my stalks up in bundles and throw them outside in a big pile and after we were thru for the day....I would feed them into a woodchipper that I converted to run off a PTO....1000 rpm works best. It would blow the stalk chips into a big pile and every few days I would load it into a manure spreader and spread em.
BTW, I need to sell or trade that thing since I don't use it anymore, would make some body a good deal on it.
0 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7984
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby 1982vett » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:27 am

I haven't soil tested in some time now. Probably before 2010 or so.

Why? Cost vs reward from the info gained.....economics.

The information gain would be used to grow vegetation to be consumed by amimals or be cut for hay to be fed to animals with any surplus hay to be sold. Dang, the thought of all that work makes me tired.

I can look out over my pastures that I used to manage heavily for hay purposes and pastures I tried to keep just one more animal on. What was the payout on that.....for the work involved....?

Well, I carried 30% more cows. Baled 110 to 140 acres of hay. Spent a lot of time on a tractor burning fuel and working on equipment. Spent time watching the weather looking for the right time to throw thousands of dollars worth of fertilizer out or find the perfect time to cut and bale the hay it was put on. Then came moving the hay to storage or making arrangements for someone to come get it....but couldn't come because the were going on vacation.

Think about the end game a bit. Are you better off doing all these things? Is what you end up getting paid to do these things actually worth the time, extra work, and monetary risk?

Let's take some east round numbers.

Say your able to run 100 cows under this senecio. Consensus seems to be $450 to $500 yearly carrying cost per cow. Average that to $47500. Let's even give you 100 525 lb calves to sell today and your going to get $1.50 a pound commission free.....$78750.00........ yea! I made $31000......oops. I forgot about the 100 rolls of hay sold at $10 over cost. Or a lot less......$32000...... whoop

But what if you could carry 70 cows and forget about the hay. Never mind, I don't need 18 tons of fertilizer. Major equipment problem is the batteries in the tractors because it hasn't been cranked in a month. Instead of using 900 gallons of tractor fuel a year you can get by on less than 300.

55,125 - 32,250 = 21,875. But your work load went from about 1560 hours to about 520 or less.

Think about that for a bit....
3 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6259
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:47 am

1982vett wrote:I haven't soil tested in some time now. Probably before 2010 or so.

Why? Cost vs reward from the info gained.....economics.

The information gain would be used to grow vegetation to be consumed by amimals or be cut for hay to be fed to animals with any surplus hay to be sold. Dang, the thought of all that work makes me tired.

I can look out over my pastures that I used to manage heavily for hay purposes and pastures I tried to keep just one more animal on. What was the payout on that.....for the work involved....?

Well, I carried 30% more cows. Baled 110 to 140 acres of hay. Spent a lot of time on a tractor burning fuel and working on equipment. Spent time watching the weather looking for the right time to throw thousands of dollars worth of fertilizer out or find the perfect time to cut and bale the hay it was put on. Then came moving the hay to storage or making arrangements for someone to come get it....but couldn't come because the were going on vacation.

Think about the end game a bit. Are you better off doing all these things? Is what you end up getting paid to do these things actually worth the time, extra work, and monetary risk?

Let's take some east round numbers.

Say your able to run 100 cows under this senecio. Consensus seems to be $450 to $500 yearly carrying cost per cow. Average that to $47500. Let's even give you 100 525 lb calves to sell today and your going to get $1.50 a pound commission free.....$78750.00........ yea! I made $31000......oops. I forgot about the 100 rolls of hay sold at $10 over cost. Or a lot less......$32000...... whoop

But what if you could carry 70 cows and forget about the hay. Never mind, I don't need 18 tons of fertilizer. Major equipment problem is the batteries in the tractors because it hasn't been cranked in a month. Instead of using 900 gallons of tractor fuel a year you can get by on less than 300.

55,125 - 32,250 = 21,875. But your work load went from about 1560 hours to about 520 or less.

Think about that for a bit....


That has been my hesitation with it. Carrying those "extra cows" only works when you have the rain.

There are certain pastures I would like to have an idea on like hay fields, but to do the whole property doesn't seem feasbale to me.

In my short time doing this I believe the most money made is by keeping your herd numbers in check and trying to keep you costs as low as possible with out compromising quality. Every time the tractor cranks or you run a piece of equipment it equals lost dollars and a huge risk from a breakdown.

I run the math on every thing. It can be the best practice "by the book" but if I can't make the math work out it's not going to happen. Time and risk are both part of the equation also.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6259
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:50 am

... and I try to buy cattle that convert that grass I have to dollars... not buy grass to match the cattle.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7984
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby 1982vett » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:01 pm

I'll say, I've been "preaching" the less is more philosophy on and off for a while now. I know I've cut my workload substantially. But some thinks don't make sense, like bothering to make a businesses out of hay clearing 5 - 10 dollars a roll. Especially if your only selling 100 or so a year. My opinion is to let it rot back into the soil for the soil to use it's nutrients next year. Saves me a lot of time, work and frustration.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1218
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby farmerjan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:30 pm

We soil test the pastures as well as the hay fields. Put some poultry litter on the pastures, do some spot spraying and have done some overall spraying on pastures that are covered with thistles and sand briars, also bushhog everything once a year according to agreements with landowners. We make a fair amount of hay on land that isn't fenced or no water available, and we roll out alot of hay to benefit the soil and increase the organic matter. The only ones we do any lime on are the ones we have at least a 5 year lease on. We rotate the cows around for grazing, so get some more benefits that way as the regrowth and rest periods have given us a chance to actually increase carrying capacity on most places.
1982vett is right about the difference in time and money spent on fuel equipment etc., as opposed to fewer animals and less actual output of time. We sell alot of small square bales and the money from them is more than justified over the cost. But for the big round bales we can buy them as cheap or cheaper than we can make them....MOST YEARS....but come a drought, we are very thankful to have them. We actually buy a fair amount of hay that is 2 yrs old that we get for next to nothing and use it to feed and put out and let it feed the soil back through it just rotting into the ground. Most is closeby, little cost to haul and we find that the pastures actually seem to benefit from that as much as anything.
0 x


Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests