Pasture Maintenance

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Pasture Maintenance

Postby Highpoint » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:11 pm

ddd75 wrote:i just throw seed on the ground

I am just learning grasses here and we have bermuda bluegrass srab grass and other native but have never seen the grass you show. What is it as it looks thick. Do cattle like it. We have some orchard grass and cattle eat last.
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:23 am

Highpoint wrote:
ddd75 wrote:i just throw seed on the ground

I am just learning grasses here and we have bermuda bluegrass srab grass and other native but have never seen the grass you show. What is it as it looks thick. Do cattle like it. We have some orchard grass and cattle eat last.

yes, thats some of the best quality forage you could ever see. Mix of some different fescues, orchard grasses, bluegrass, white and red clovers. Extremely high sugar content, soft leafed, no stems. My cows have sacks as big as dairy cattle they are producing so much milk. The calves are growing at a rate about twice as much as when they were on a KY31 / clover / OG mix. I might even send some samples in to the forage superbowl. That'd be cool to place in the top 3.

If your cattle aren't eating the orchardgrass then its probably an older variety. I hear that a lot. Any newer variety in the last 15 years your cattle will run to eat.
0 x

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highpoint » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:23 am

Can you tell me a little more. Probably the most important is making sure they are not genetically modified however with high sugar content mot sure they could be. The stuff I am trying out on pasture shows increase butter fat too and increase forage. I looked at the tests on vegetables and talked to a farmer who said root system was increased to help handle drought conditions and grasses should hold more moisture to reduce pest problems. The young man who sold me really knows more about wheat and soy as that is where their tests started however I would like to find out the best mixtures and the coop since I farm differently is not much help. Before we cleared the property the previous owner had horses and it was really bad. Then we let set for 7 years before hiring planes to spray as was a forest. Believe me I hated it as I am not into poisons of any kind. This is third year and weeds were so thick and mowing helped the grasses catch up and thicken some but there is still ground showing in places.

I said all of that to ask if you have a link to the grass mixture you speak about. By the way, it is the sugars in plants that are the commication system of the body and is missing in the food. The research online is glycans.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 am

The more variety you have in the seed bank the better. This year crab grass out grew the coastal bermuda in my hay fields because of the rain. As long as the cows eat what grows and hold condition I'm happy.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”