Pearl millet question

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
tdc_cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Pearl millet question

Postby tdc_cattle » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:44 am

I planted two patches of petal millet this year. One I Hayes one and the other I grazed. I had planned on hating them both again close to our first frost. Average would be in 3 weeks. Some of the taller stuff that they didn't graze as much has started to head out. It's maybe 15% of the stand right now. Will it still be fine for hay in three weeks? I could also go ahead and bale it now or turn the cows back in to graze it. Baling now would be my last choice.
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Pearl millet question

Postby 5S Cattle » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:43 am

Hopefully fence sees this. Believe he plants this also
0 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:54 am

It will lose a lot of nutritional value if you let it all head out...which it will be in 3 weeks. I would hay it and then graze anything that grows back...but that is just me. I have used a few patches of millet the last few years and the fall is always an interesting time to plan for! Best of luck...

Tim
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:17 pm

tdc_cattle wrote:I planted two patches of petal millet this year. One I Hayes one and the other I grazed. I had planned on hating them both again close to our first frost. Average would be in 3 weeks. Some of the taller stuff that they didn't graze as much has started to head out. It's maybe 15% of the stand right now. Will it still be fine for hay in three weeks? I could also go ahead and bale it now or turn the cows back in to graze it. Baling now would be my last choice.

If you can bale it something beats a snowball sandwich
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Personally I would let the cows finish it up while my pasture catches up on the fall flush. About the time they finish it up drill in some oats or ryegrass. And turn em back to that last bit of pasture I stockpiled
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

tdc_cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby tdc_cattle » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:23 am

callmefence wrote:Personally I would let the cows finish it up while my pasture catches up on the fall flush. About the time they finish it up drill in some oats or ryegrass. And turn em back to that last bit of pasture I stockpiled

Upon further review I've got a patch of red river crab grass that I need to move them to for that and bale the millet now. Now being next week. Evacuee we're picking a neighbors corn this week
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”