feeding soybeans

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

feeding soybeans

Postby MtnCows93 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:54 pm

have you guys ever used soybeans to supplement protein? i was thinking this winter supplementing some cows on hay with beans to get them in better body condition. i know they are high in protein but thats all i know about soybeans
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: feeding soybeans

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:59 pm

Roasted soybeans for dairy cows yes. For beef cows not cost effective. Too easy to overfeed raw soybeans creating more problems.
0 x

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:22 pm

would they have to be roasted? what about feeding like a half pound per head every other day
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:38 am

Unprocessed soybeans can be fed at 1-2 lb per day, but as a top dress. They are easily bunk sorted in a mix and one
cow eats 6 or 8 lbs and the others eat none. Selling your soybeans and feeding soy meal
(44% protein if I remember correctly) would be better and the protein is more digestible.

If you were able to crush them going through a screen mixing them in a feed mill with other grain, the batch needs
to be fed up in a few days as the raw oil turns the whole batch rancid pretty fast. Extruding soybeans processes them
with the very high heat the friction extruding creates and in effect cooks them.
2 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:12 pm

Yes it's a perfectly fine supplement at less than 6% of total intake and is also a great source of energy. But, you have to feed such a small amount, just like SBM or other high pro feeds, it's better used mixed with corn, oats, wheat or some grain. I like to use some in feeder rations better than cow supplement. Really though the only time it is a valuable feedstuff is when soy is cheap.
Figure a mix of 25% protein mix of soy and grain and feed 5-7 pounds to lactating cows on grass hay.

#All suggestion made in this post, are my own. Not responsible for any loss, just gains :)
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”