Best deal on Hay Saving Rings/Feeders

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
bird dog
GURU
GURU

Re: Best deal on Hay Saving Rings/Feeders

Postby bird dog » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:17 pm

On rings I roll them up against the fence and stick some tree limbs or 4 x 4's under them. Helps keep them from rusting all summer. My cradles go up on 4 x 4 blocks .
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Set them up on some chunks of 4x4 to keep the steel off the wet dirt is all.
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:40 am

I saw a plastic one advertised yesterday. Think it was in a Gebo's ad (small chain operation in Tex. and all). $250 would hold a 5x6 roll. What happens to that when the temp drops below 32F? Last one I bought was square steel tubing with pre-formed rings at $100 in a kit. Took about an hour to weld it together.

Problem I have with feeders is not the feeders it's the cows. They won't eat their scraps off the ground unless you starve them into it. They have to go back to the bale, pull out a mouthful, spill half of it on the ground while chewing the other half, all the while looking around and the stuff falls on the ground. But it's good for the soil if worked in after feeding season.....for a peek at the bright side.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:58 am

Texasmark wrote:I saw a plastic one advertised yesterday. Think it was in a Gebo's ad (small chain operation in Tex. and all). $250 would hold a 5x6 roll. What happens to that when the temp drops below 32F? Last one I bought was square steel tubing with pre-formed rings at $100 in a kit. Took about an hour to weld it together.

Problem I have with feeders is not the feeders it's the cows. They won't eat their scraps off the ground unless you starve them into it. They have to go back to the bale, pull out a mouthful, spill half of it on the ground while chewing the other half, all the while looking around and the stuff falls on the ground. But it's good for the soil if worked in after feeding season.....for a peek at the bright side.

I'm looking at the Gebo's ad right now. Poly 48" for $239.00, but drop below that ad to the bunk feeders and there's another poly hay ring (same 48") listed for $79.99 with a different skew.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:14 pm

slick4591 wrote:
Texasmark wrote:I saw a plastic one advertised yesterday. Think it was in a Gebo's ad (small chain operation in Tex. and all). $250 would hold a 5x6 roll. What happens to that when the temp drops below 32F? Last one I bought was square steel tubing with pre-formed rings at $100 in a kit. Took about an hour to weld it together.

I'm looking at the Gebo's ad right now. Poly 48" for $239.00, but drop below that ad to the bunk feeders and there's another poly hay ring (same 48") listed for $79.99 with a different skew.

What are your thoughts?
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:17 pm

Can't say as I have no experience with a poly one. Read here that some people like them.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:05 pm

The only poly feeders out here are too short & the pipes are too wide apart. All calves & weaned calves can crawl into them.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:09 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:The only poly feeders out here are too short & the pipes are too wide apart. All calves & weaned calves can crawl into them.

I "accidentally" bought one that was too short once. Came in 2 pieces and bolted together. I wound up putting legs on it and in doing that, casually realized why rings are round and not square. Grin. So I chopped off the corners and made an angle to fit the circumference of the baler.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:51 am

I'm getting ready to put heifers up by the house to calve. Ran down to get a ring I drug it here a ATV and carried it the half mile home with my spear. I won't buy anything else.

0 x
Always take care of your credit. When you need it. It will take care of you.

Tennessee Tuxedo

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:39 am

Yup - that's the plastic ones that sell out here.
Too short & bars spaced way too far apart for me.
Heard they are destructible though. We have too much freezing around here to use one like that. All the hay layers thru the bars & freezes it down to the ground. I must have skirts.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:48 am

Those plastic ones don't last long at -30* and being froze to the ground. Also they are just like any other ring and IME waste a lot of hay.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 am

Well I'm buying me one of those plastic rings just to see how tuff they are. I'll probably end up hose clamping a panel around the bottom of the ring to try and save a little hay.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”