Soil Sample Results

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Soil Sample Results

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:50 pm

I think it easily could need that much. 60 ton of lime(2ton per acre) would be at least $1200. That leaves $2800 for the fertilize.
Spend what you feel it ok but as stated do the lime first. Then add what's recommended as you can afford it.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:59 pm

herofan wrote:
TexasBred wrote:As for the original poster, I'd find me another fertilizer dealer. He's trying to rob you. Sure hope he's not a friend.

So, are you saying there is no way that 30 acres of fescue and orchard grass could require $4,000 worth of fertilizer and lime?

No. There are certainly ways to roll up inputs to total hundreds of dollars per acre.

The point is that this is unlikely to be justified by the value of the increased production, and zero chance of being the most economical approach.

When the student is ready - - the teacher will appear.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:11 pm

Depending on exactly how low the pH is just raising the pH will increase the amount of available P there will be in the soil. At a low pH there is P present that won't show in the test results. This is true with other nutrients too but not to the extreme it is with P. This is one of the reasons that raising the pH will have such a positive affect on yield.
I also would not have a fertilizer salesman read a soils test. It should be relatively easy to find someone to look at your test results who will explain it to you without the conflict of interest of selling you fertilizer. Cooperate extension, university, conservation district, or a CCA who doesn't work for a fertilizer company would be where I would look.
0 x

Texasmark
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Texasmark » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:23 am

wbvs58 wrote:I don't like having the people who sell the fertiliser telling me what I need from the soil test. I don't think there could be a bigger conflict of interest. If your pH is low I would lime it now and just add your Nitrogen in spring. Get the soil test analysis and make a judgement yourself if anything else looks urgent otherwise attend to them in the following year.

Ken

Well I took my results and tried to calculate it on my own and gave up. Went to the fert supplier and he put it on his computer and it spit out the answers and they went electronically to the loader. Happy with his decision. I looked them over and didn't have a problem with their ratios.

Like you are getting 2 tons of NPK plus the little guys and N is xx-xx-xx and so on. % of this into a % of that for the total........daaaaa.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:39 am

herofan wrote:
TexasBred wrote:As for the original poster, I'd find me another fertilizer dealer. He's trying to rob you. Sure hope he's not a friend.

So, are you saying there is no way that 30 acres of fescue and orchard grass could require $4,000 worth of fertilizer and lime?

Lime is $35 a ton acre spread, and 21-11-17 fertilizer is $400 per ton spread around here. Spreading 350 lbs to the acre, at one time is about all the ground can handle.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:22 am

herofan wrote:

What does your pencil say. More fertilizer doesn’t necessarily mean you will get closer to your 2 cow per acre stocking rate. What I’d be more interested in is what your p&l pencil says.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:43 pm

herofan wrote:
ddd75 wrote:Even though some might say it’s silly to blindly put triple 19 on it for the last 3 or 4 years, it has gradually improved each year and has doubled its yield from a few years ago, so I don’t really feel like what I have done has been a waste.

Without knowing your pH and having it adjusted properly how would you know if it was a waste or not? The most important thing is to get the pH where it should be as soon as possible because if your pH is off you could be spending money you don't need to spend. Using $300/ton at a soil pH of 6.0 would mean you are only getting use of 89% of your N and 52% of your phosphate so you are spending 20% more on fertilizer than you are getting the benefit of.

Like suggested, get your pH right first then fertilize accordingly. Good luck.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
herofan wrote:

No. There are certainly ways to roll up inputs to total hundreds of dollars per acre.

The point is that this is unlikely to be justified by the value of the increased production, and zero chance of being the most economical approach

When the student is ready - - the teacher will appear.

Took me a few years, but I finally have come to grasp this concept..thanks to a few different folks on here explaining it in several different examples. Written gold.

Your last sentence is profoundly correct!
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Soil Sample Results:

I got this over the phone from my brother,so hopefully I heard correctly and I word it so it makes sense.

Nitrogen, Zinc, and Magnesium are good; none needed.

Ph is 5.8. It recommends 2 ton of lime per acre, 90lbs per acre of P205 and 180lbs per acre of K20.

As for the fertilize guy, he simply told my brother what it would cost to put exactly what they recommended, but he said that was a heck of a lot of fertilizer and said he would back off.
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:03 pm

I would start with 3 ton of lime.
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:24 pm

herofan wrote:Soil Sample Results:

I got this over the phone from my brother,so hopefully I heard correctly and I word it so it makes sense.

Ph is 5.8. It recommends 2 ton of lime per acre, 90lbs per acre of P205 and 180lbs per acre of K20.

As for the fertilize guy, he simply told my brother what it would cost to put exactly what they recommended, but he said that was a heck of a lot of fertilizer and said he would back off.

Who ran the test? Is it to their recommendations? If you can get the number of the actual P and K levels you can look at the UK recommendations online.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:51 pm

herofan wrote:Soil Sample Results:

Nitrogen is never recommended from our tests. Our tests say to add Nitrogen to meet the level of production your wanting to achieve.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

SDM
Beginner
Beginner

Postby SDM » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:03 am

I'm fairly new here. I've been reading posts for a few months but never posted myself. Trying to learn. But I may be able to contribute a little to this topic. You need to differentiate between maximizing yield and optimizing yield for your operation and fertilize accordingly. If thats one cutting or four, is up to you. Based on your description I'd recommend 80 units N in fall or spring and enough P and K to maintain the stand, maybe a rating of medium+ to high. If micronutrients are deficient, do the same for them. For Fescue and Orchardgrass I'd lime up to 6.0 in you situation. You don't seem to be pushing to hard, but you don't want it to fall off either.

Another suggestion, don't take the test results or University recommendations as gospel. Over time pay attention to test results and what's happening in in the field (drop in yield, weeds, etc.). You'll be able to make your own correlations between the test results and what the field needs to achieve your goals.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:51 am

SDM Darn good post
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:37 am

SDM wrote:I'm fairly new here. I've been reading posts for a few months but never posted myself. Trying to learn. But I may be able to contribute a little to this topic. You need to differentiate between maximizing yield and optimizing yield for your operation and fertilize accordingly. If thats one cutting or four, is up to you.

Currently, I get more than what I need with one spring cutting, and the grass looks really good in the spring.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”