No till drill for pasture improvments

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
rowdyred
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

No till drill for pasture improvments

Postby rowdyred » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:28 am

Considering purchasing a Land Pride no-till drill to improve my pasture. Would like to hear the pros and cons, as some of you see it. Also, is there a market for drilling in winter pasture for other people. Not the reason I'm thinking of buying it, just wondering if I can make a little money with it, Thanks for any advice.
0 x

alpine740
Beginner
Beginner

Re: No till drill for pasture improvments

Postby alpine740 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:25 pm

Are you locked into the Land Pride? If you haven't already, I would suggest looking at a Great Plains. I bought a 1006NT last year and am very pleased with the quality and performance. Around here, everyone has a hay baler, but very few have a no-till drill. I could see making some money on the side; just be sure you get paid for the wear and tear on what is an expensive piece of equipment.
0 x

Hogtiming
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hogtiming » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:06 pm

I could be wrong but doesn’t Great Plains make landpride drills?
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:30 am

Pros... no-till.

Cons... $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Depends on your soil and what your planting but a good grain drill can do the same some times for a fraction of the cost.

I rent a no-till to put in oats and rye some times. I could never think about justifying the cost. Cheaper to disk it and use a grain drill or sling it with a buggy.

Hogtiming wrote:I could be wrong but doesn’t Great Plains make landpride drills?

Wouldn't surprised and some how Kubota got in on it because the orange drills look exactly like the green ones now.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

kilroy60
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kilroy60 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:46 am

I don't own one due to cost justification. If I also row cropped, then I could justify. A lot of money just to briefly use. I'd find one to rent or hire someone who had one. Or, sling it as Brute mentioned.
0 x

rowdyred
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby rowdyred » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:32 am

Thanks for all advice.
Do you have to disk to use just a grain drill? I'm wanting to drill in existing pasture, without disking. The one I'm looking at is $7500 new. I don't know of any Great Plans dealers around here, I've got a Land Pride dealer in town.
What would be, in your opinion, a asking price to drill someones land?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:14 pm

If you want it to work you have to disk or at least disturb the ground. That's the whole point in a no till
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

SmokinM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SmokinM » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:42 pm

I have a Great Plains that I bought to do strictly custom work many years ago when I first started my business. Now that I finally have some farming of my own to do I do both with it. I have the 3P605NT which is their 3 point hitch 6' wide model. Bought it that way so it is easy to move. Pull tractor and drill up on a gooseneck and away I go. Also most of my customers have small horse farms so a big drill doesn't work well. It sits a lot but come fall of the year I spend 2 solid months on the tractor. It has been a good investment for me especially now that I get to use it around my farm.

It has bout 4200 acres on it and I am doing some rebuilding on it this year. New coulters and some brackets etc. may need some openers next year. Make sure you cover your wear and tear and that you have a market for it in your area. Also don't rent it out IMO. Also make sure if custom work is in your plans you have time to work it because planting time is short and you gotta hustle to get it done.

Land Pride is the same drill as GP and is a good machine. That price is pretty good not sure what size drill that is. Hope this helps a little.
0 x

SmokinM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SmokinM » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:48 pm

As far as price it depends on how smooth it is, how many acres they have and how far from the house. Can't run the tractor and drill for much less than $35 an acre and that's at least 20 acres of smooth hayfield close to home. Little cut up fields that are rough can be $75 an acre or more. If you haul it far gotta make sure you cover that too.
0 x

Newberry Creek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Newberry Creek » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:51 am

I rent a 10 foot great plains no-till every year from a neighbor. I drill in ryegrass some years and oats other years, after my cows graze down the pastures. It works well. It does take a pretty good tractor to pull it.
0 x

rowdyred
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby rowdyred » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:44 am

SmokinM wrote:I have a Great Plains that I bought to do strictly custom work many years ago when I first started my business. Now that I finally have some farming of my own to do I do both with it. I have the 3P605NT which is their 3 point hitch 6' wide model. Bought it that way so it is easy to move. Pull tractor and drill up on a gooseneck and away I go. Also most of my customers have small horse farms so a big drill doesn't work well. It sits a lot but come fall of the year I spend 2 solid months on the tractor. It has been a good investment for me especially now that I get to use it around my farm.

It has bout 4200 acres on it and I am doing some rebuilding on it this year. New coulters and some brackets etc. may need some openers next year. Make sure you cover your wear and tear and that you have a market for it in your area. Also don't rent it out IMO. Also make sure if custom work is in your plans you have time to work it because planting time is short and you gotta hustle to get it done.

Land Pride is the same drill as GP and is a good machine. That price is pretty good not sure what size drill that is. Hope this helps a little.

It's 7 1/2 ft, 3 pt hitch
0 x

mrvictordomino
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby mrvictordomino » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Just purchased a Lilliston 9670 this week. One owner and kept in the dry, has drilled only 1100 acres.
Have always wanted to have a personal drill but didn't want to invest that much. This one was in such good
condition and the price was right. A real heavy built machine. Looking forward to putting it to use.
0 x
www.jmsvictordomino.com

SmokinM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SmokinM » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:22 pm

rowdyred wrote:
SmokinM wrote:I have a Great Plains that I bought to do strictly custom work many years ago when I first started my business. Now that I finally have some farming of my own to do I do both with it. I have the 3P605NT which is their 3 point hitch 6' wide model. Bought it that way so it is easy to move. Pull tractor and drill up on a gooseneck and away I go. Also most of my customers have small horse farms so a big drill doesn't work well. It sits a lot but come fall of the year I spend 2 solid months on the tractor. It has been a good investment for me especially now that I get to use it around my farm.

It's 7 1/2 ft, 3 pt hitch

That's a steal on the price. I wish I could get that deal here I would replace mine. I think if you have the time paying for it with custom work shouldn't be to hard.
0 x

rowdyred
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby rowdyred » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:24 pm

It's a Land Pride-All Purpose Seeder 1586.
$7500...2 years no interest... 2 payments starting next November.

so I guess its a little over 7 feet.

Watched the video on you tube.... looks good to me.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:52 pm

rowdyred wrote:It's a Land Pride-All Purpose Seeder 1586.
$7500...2 years no interest... 2 payments starting next November.

so I guess its a little over 7 feet.

Watched the video on you tube.... looks good to me.

That is not a no-till drill. Might work good for clover or rye grass, won't work at all for oats, and be marginal on wheat and winter rye. Trying to plant into an existing pasture takes a lot of down pressure on the coulters.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”