No till drill for pasture improvments

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: No till drill for pasture improvments

Postby callmefence » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:00 pm

I have no tilled with success for several years with a old JD vanbrunt drill with single Coulter's. the vanbrunt has a pretty good angle on it.Don't even dry with a double Coulter drill.
I've drilled oats, wheat, clover, ryegrass millet and hybrid Sudan. I always drill into very short pasture. As much soil moisture as possible. Depth set to max, most of the air let out of the tires and keep the box full for weight.
Grit is spot on about clover and ryegrass being best. Just common sense as they require less depth.
They most important thing to getting it to work is getting rain. Anything can work with the right rain.
Fwiw..it is very hard on the drill. I've got several in the junk/parts pile. but the drill I'm currently using is a 12 footer. I bought at a farm auction for 50.00. shafts were seized up alot of diesel and a little heat freed it up.

Poor people have poor ways I've been told.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:54 pm

I tried planting before this last rain that we didn't get with my Hay Buster 107. I had the springs so tight for the extra down pressure that the openers were lifting the drill tires off the ground while it was full of seed.
The most important thing is getting a rain, that is a fact.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

SmokinM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SmokinM » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Like Grit said that is not even close to a no till drill. Works great for prepared seed bed and is better than broadcasting seed on sod but not by much. Would rather have a grain drill and just do it after a rain or even before a rain but it gets hard to see where you have been. Put that money towards a used or new no- till IMO.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:13 pm

SmokinM wrote:Like Grit said that is not even close to a no till drill. Works great for prepared seed bed and is better than broadcasting seed on sod but not by much. Would rather have a grain drill and just do it after a rain or even before a rain but it gets hard to see where you have been. Put that money towards a used or new no- till IMO.

Agreed..in my above post I was simply giving a example of how I've done it on the cheap. Spending several thousand dollars on a conventional drill and using it as a no till would not be a good idea.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

SmokinM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SmokinM » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:31 pm

callmefence wrote:
SmokinM wrote:Like Grit said that is not even close to a no till drill. Works great for prepared seed bed and is better than broadcasting seed on sod but not by much. Would rather have a grain drill and just do it after a rain or even before a rain but it gets hard to see where you have been. Put that money towards a used or new no- till IMO.

Agreed..in my above post I was simply giving a example of how I've done it on the cheap. Spending several thousand dollars on a conventional drill and using it as a no till would not be a good idea.

I was talking about the seeder he was pricing. I have done many acres just like you are doing with great results. That's what I was trying to say is I would rather have a grain drill than the seeder he is looking at but if you are going to spend that money put it towards a true no-till. If you are fortunate enough to have a little moisture before you seed I think you can get as good or better stand with a grain drill, particularly if planting grass. Small grain needs to be deeper usually but a lot of people plant their grass to deep with a no-till and it doesn't come up well. A really nice grain drill here can be had for $1500 or less at the right sale. Getting lost because you cant see the slits is the worst part of a grain drill but a little moisture seems to help that a lot.
0 x

rowdyred
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby rowdyred » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:30 am

Thanks for the input. I realized it wasn't a no till when I watched the video. When I called the dealer, I explained to him that I wanted a no-till, this is what he proposed. Here in North Mississippi, we get plenty of rain, or have so far, I want to plant fescue, rye grass, and wheat, also some byhalia. I want to plant a few hay fields and then some winter wheat and rye grass for pasture.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”