General Pasture help

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
justpassinthrough
Beginner
Beginner

General Pasture help

Postby justpassinthrough » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Hello all...completely inexperienced here. My grandfather passed away this week and grandma needs help. And I intend to do it.
First question, is hand pulling goat weed effective? I don't want to just mow it down around the house if pulling it will help get it under control. I don't mind the effort and there are plenty of great grandsons willing to work hard. I understand spraying it will not help this year since it has already dropped it seed. But I also read it can be a host for insect eggs and I don't want to add to my problems. We pulled a section up yesterday, should I burn it? What do I spray it with in the spring?

Second question: the cattle on the land aren't owned by grandma there is a man who routinely comes out to mow and care for his cattle. There is a barn that fell down that he said he would clean up 5 years or so ago. My grandparents really like him and I would just like some input on the best way to handle that. A phone call may be all thats needed.

I'm sure I will be back with more questions just jumping in and I live hours away so I need to know what really works. Thanks.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: General Pasture help

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:05 am

Goat Weed aka "Yin Yang Huo" in Chinese medicine an aphrodisiac. Also for curing blood diseases and osteoporosis.
In Japan it's prized as flowering ground cover in gardens.

Rhizomes roots and difficult to kill, hand pulling and mowing kills the foliage, but it will spring back to life from the
roots left behind. After pulling it up, spread it out for the roots to dry out and die. You can till the soil after pulling to help slow it from spreading. When it springs to life and starts growing next year mow it, then spray it with Round Up as it absorbs the weed killer better into it's roots after mowing as it tries to regrow. Then the following week or so till it up and seed it with grass or some other ground cover to help crowd it out.... it may take a few years to get rid of it.

Sincere condolences on the loss of your Grandfather.
1 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:02 am

I'd suggest you start putting a long term plan together.

Call the guy about the barn. Just know what you are going to do if he stalls, evades or misleads you.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 am

Sorry for your loss.

And don't just pass through. Lots of great information on here.

Do you have any interest in putting cattle on the place?
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

justpassinthrough
Beginner
Beginner

Postby justpassinthrough » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:31 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Goat Weed aka "Yin Yang Huo" in Chinese medicine an aphrodisiac. Also for curing blood diseases and osteoporosis.
In Japan it's prized as flowering ground cover in gardens.

Rhizomes roots and difficult to kill, hand pulling and mowing kills the foliage, but it will spring back to life from the
roots left behind. After pulling it up, spread it out for the roots to dry out and die. You can till the soil after pulling to help slow it from spreading. When it springs to life and starts growing next year mow it, then spray it with Round Up as it absorbs the weed killer better into it's roots after mowing as it tries to regrow. Then the following week or so till it up and seed it with grass or some other ground cover to help crowd it out.... it may take a few years to get rid of it.

Sincere condolences on the loss of your Grandfather.

oh sorry I'm referring to what we call goat weed or dove weed not horny goat weed. I did find some interesting information on it last night but not about hand pulling. It grows into a hearty stalk and pulls out roots and all quite easily.
Sounds like Grazon may be a good option when its green leaves emerge in the spring. Its nearly everywhere on the 40 acres in patches.

Krystle
0 x

justpassinthrough
Beginner
Beginner

Postby justpassinthrough » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Right -O- on the long term plan. At this time we are trying to find out if Grandma can keep the homestead. She wont like me poking around or calling anyone but it has to be done.

There are about 20 head on the land now. They move around and keep it grazed nicely except on one side of the watering hole, Lick the cars clean and such and entertain Grandma. I don't think they will be moved unless the property is sold and new owners aren't agreeable. The fallen barn is only a concern since it is near the gate and all that sharp edged tin sitting around doesn't sit well with me. Not with Grandma feeling spunky and wanting to work on things. Nothing stopping us from doing the work but I could use my husband up on the roof and inside grouting and such so it really would be helpful if he'd come take care of it.

And thanks fellas, My Grandpa was a gentleman and his absence is enormous.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:56 am

I understand about your grandmother being sensitive. I am working through that with my mother. I lost Dad early this year.

I understand your loss, and how you miss your grandfather. Just be thankful for the time you had with him.

Nothing about this is easy.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”