Broadcasting Fescue

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Broadcasting Fescue

Postby Texasmark » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:59 am

Have a typical conical 500# 3 pt spreader. Want to spread 50# of Fescue on 2 acres. As we all know, 50# of Fescue seed is a very large sack...light weight seeds.

Granular, chemical, fertilizer will also be part of the broadcast operation, either together or as a separate application, then spike tooth harrowing the result and maybe cultipacting...but field is remote so probably this won't happen.

Question is, what have you done effectively to do ensure a uniform distribution of seed across your land?

Thanks,
Mark
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Re: Broadcasting Fescue

Postby ddd75 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:13 am

set your spreader right.. check it after 1/4 way done to make sure its right..

spread the seed.

any left go diagonal

i would use the harrow before.. possibly cultipack before.. then throw the seed, then cultipack.

is this over bare land or already in pasture?
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:39 am

Never done fescue.
But I always calibrate with one swath.
L x w = square feet convert to acre's.
I put the right amount of seed in for that acreage amount. And work from there.
Also only broadcast half your desired amount and go both ways. If you really need to get it even.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:27 am

callmefence wrote:Never done fescue.
But I always calibrate with one swath.
L x w = square feet convert to acre's.
I put the right amount of seed in for that acreage amount. And work from there.
Also only broadcast half your desired amount and go both ways. If you really need to get it even.

And that same method works with Fescue, but Fescue does need good soil contact. Timing is everything here. Must be sown early fall on loose soil. I am sure packing helps, but the soil needs to be loose.

Here you will get a good stand in the spring, but it will not make it through the summer. That might be different further north.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks guys for the replies. The good thing it's 500x175 and rectangle. That helps. Gathering the answers:

There is a gate chart on the unit and I'll consult that for Fescue or a seed of similar characteristics.
On length of test run best I can tell width of swath will be about 25' so 175' = 7 passes. I can stand one for a test strip.

The soil is loose (now) down to about 4" some hard clay, but in small (half dollar or less size) hard, clods and is bottom land, flat and clean. I ran the harrow over it after the second pass with the disc. I guess I can go back to the house and get my roller and bring it back to the field and harrow and compact. Probably the best bet.

We are dry dry dry right now but due lots of moisture starting 1st of the month and all through Spring. With that I should get enough of a stand to survive the first summer and after that it will be locked in, especially being in bottom land.

I'm assuming the the seeding operation is separate from the fertilizer operation. That's probably best as the seed is bulky and light and the fert. just the opposite. Hard to keep it homogenized in the spreader and that was a concern of mine....getting it mixed before hand and keeping it mixed during the application.

Thanks for your time.
Mark
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:10 am

Took your advice and started with a test run. Decided to go short on the gate opening and expand from there. Gate chart on the spreader for Fescue is wayyyyy to wide. Anyway got her done and I think a pretty even spread. Like fertilizer, never know what you did till it does and it tells no lies.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:16 am

Now if we could just get some rain.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:18 am

callmefence wrote:Now if we could just get some rain.

Just heard the weather lady say it's been 17 days since our last.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”