Wheat hay in oklahoma

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
CTH
Beginner
Beginner

Wheat hay in oklahoma

Postby CTH » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi, I’m a rookie cattle farmer small herd and only 8 years experience, I have recently found a guy locally bailing wheat hay and I’m considering purchasing some for a winter supplement. Id like any help and feed back on what you think ive researched and found Thant this hay could possibly be high in protein but I haven’t tested it . One of my concerns is the time of year it is baled in, should i be concerned? Btw it looks like it was in the boot stage no seed yet .

Thank you for all your help I’m learning everyday and my ignorance is due to inexperience :D
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Wheat hay in oklahoma

Postby TexasBred » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:52 pm

CTH wrote:Hi, I’m a rookie cattle farmer small herd and only 8 years experience, I have recently found a guy locally bailing wheat hay and I’m considering purchasing some for a winter supplement. Id like any help and feed back on what you think ive researched and found Thant this hay could possibly be high in protein but I haven’t tested it . One of my concerns is the time of year it is baled in, should i be concerned? Btw it looks like it was in the boot stage no seed yet .

Thank you for all your help I’m learning everyday and my ignorance is due to inexperience :D

Have it tested then you'll know what is in that bale.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Boot stage wheat should be some pretty good hay barring crappy weather during curing. 40 years ago Dad took it at dough stage. Testing is the only way to know for sure.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Wheat hay baked right is very good and can have some lesser quaility hay fed with it to turn it down a little.
Test and you will know for sure.
I use to bale oats in the boot stage all the time. Did some wheat but more oats. Have a lot of wheat to bale this year if the weather lets me. If not I'll take it to grain.
Oats done right are to hot for horses free choice.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:57 am

I use a lot of oat with rye grass hay and I like it I also keep out syrup or tubs for my cattle.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:56 am

Pull some out of the end of the bale and see what it looks like. As long as it has good color it should be good hay.
0 x

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Allenw wrote:Pull some out of the end of the bale and see what it looks like. As long as it has good color it should be good hay.

How does color determine quality?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:21 pm

greatgerts wrote:
Allenw wrote:Pull some out of the end of the bale and see what it looks like. As long as it has good color it should be good hay.

:?: :shock: Good question.
0 x

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:37 pm

TexasBred wrote:
greatgerts wrote:

Wheat has a relatively narrow window to put it up for good hay. The op has done said it appears to have been put up in the boot, if it has a good color then it wasn't rained on or baled too wet and molded or rotted.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:09 am

Allenw wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
greatgerts wrote:

Wheat has a relatively narrow window to put it up for good hay. The op has done said it appears to have been put up in the boot, if it has a good color then it wasn't rained on or baled too wet and molded or rotted.

But that really has nothing to do with quality. Only a test will tell you what you really have. Everything looks good in a bale.
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:12 am

Allenw wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
greatgerts wrote:

Your comments are exactly why I never attempted it. Seems I can never get spring hay dry enough or the clay field is too wet to get on. Don't know of anybody else around here ever doing it either. Rye is about all that gets baled that time of year.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:13 am

Texasmark wrote:
Allenw wrote:
TexasBred wrote: :?: :shock: Good question.

Your comments are exactly why I never attempted it. Seems I can never get spring hay dry enough or the clay field is too wet to get on. Don't know of anybody else around here ever doing it either. Rye is about all that gets baled that time of year.

I have not only those problems with it but also that's s very busy time for us planting.
I haven't been doing any wheat hay but this year I planted some. If I can't bale it I'll just let it go to grain.
I really like oats and ryegrass mixed for hay but used wheat so I would have the opportunity to grain harvest instead.
I also like it as balage and hope to put it up that way instead of dry but that hinges on being able to rent a wrapper.
1 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”